Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central 62 Belfry 59
PC_Fan Wrote:I beg to differ. It is by points. It was stated in the local newspaper that PC would have to win by 13 to take the #1 seed in the district. They didn't and now they are the #2 seed. It has been that way ever since they went to the 3 team district.

I can see where you were misled. Try this:

IV) District Tournament Seeding Regulations

A) For district tournaments with three teams, the district tournament shall be seeded in accordance with the following three-team seeding regulations:

1) Each team in a three-team district is required to play the other two teams in the district in two contests each year, at mutually agreed sites. These games will produce a uniform means of ranking the teams by seed within these districts.

2) The team with the highest seed (one seed) receives a bye in the district tournament, and advances to the championship game.

3) The remaining two teams would play in the first round of the district tournament with the loser of that game being eliminated.

4) In the case of a two-way tie for the district winning position, the winner in the second game played between the tied district opponents would have the higher finishing position.

Here is info on four or more:
B) For district tournaments with four or more teams, the district tournament brackets may be drawn by random

lot or placed into the bracket using a seeding system. A majority vote (recorded in writing) of the Principals,

Athletic Directors and/or Designated Representatives of the schools in the district is required in order to make

or change seeding decisions. In the absence of any documentation, minutes or other verification, the districts

shall not be seeded. The regulations concerning the seeding of a district with four or more teams are as follows:

1) The decision to seed and the method used in seeding (including all tie-breakers) shall be determined by majority

vote of the participating teams in the district and the manager shall record this vote in writing and submit it to

the Association. The representatives making the written declaration shall decide all issues related to seeding,

2) Seeding methods shall be determined prior to the start of the regular season, recorded in writing with a copy

provided to the KHSAA, and shall remain in place until a majority vote of the participating schools rescinds or

changes the seeding decisions. Such changes to the district seeding plan may not be made for the current

58 2006-2007 KHSAA HANDBOOK

Tournament RulesTournament Rules

year once play has begun in the regular season.

3) In the event of dispute, the current copy on file with the KHSAA shall prevail in determining resolution.

4) Seeding plans may, at the discretion of the majority vote of the schools, stipulate a particular team to a

particular seeded position.

5) It shall be the district tournament manager’s responsibility to update the Association with respect to

any changes to the seeding decision or method being used and any relevant tiebreakers. In the absence of

this documentation, consultation with, and written verification and documentation from, prior year

tournament managers, will be utilized by staff to assist with interpretation and clarification.

6) There is no statewide regulation on a seeding method once the determination has been made to seed. Some of

the more common and recommended means of seeding is the record of games played within a district provided

all teams have played all other teams. In that case, each district shall adopt tie-breaking procedures in the event

that the primary method of seeding results in a tie or other situations arise which cause an alteration in the

scheduled seeding method. Among the more common tie-breaking methods are 1) seeding by overall win-loss

record; seeding by win-loss record in specific contests, 3) seeding by a rating/ranking from a statewide poll, 3)

seeding by a majority vote, 4) seeding by a committee, and 5) seeding by a rating turned in by each school.

7) If win-loss records are used for seeding, the records used shall be the records as of the date

of the pre-tournament meeting as published on the KHSAA memorandum calendar. Teams and school

representatives may meet during the regular season to discuss tournament operations (i.e. dates, times,

sites, tournament personnel needs, etc.). However if an organizational meeting is held prior to the published date

on the calendar, no discussions may be held regarding the bracketing or pairings of specific teams unless all

mandated seeded games have been played prior to the meeting. Games played after the published meeting date

SHALL NOT factor into the seeded position.
Tin Cup Wrote:I can see where you were misled. Try this:

IV) District Tournament Seeding Regulations

A) For district tournaments with three teams, the district tournament shall be seeded in accordance with the following three-team seeding regulations:

1) Each team in a three-team district is required to play the other two teams in the district in two contests each year, at mutually agreed sites. These games will produce a uniform means of ranking the teams by seed within these districts.

2) The team with the highest seed (one seed) receives a bye in the district tournament, and advances to the championship game.

3) The remaining two teams would play in the first round of the district tournament with the loser of that game being eliminated.

4) In the case of a two-way tie for the district winning position, the winner in the second game played between the tied district opponents would have the higher finishing position.

Here is info on four or more:
B) For district tournaments with four or more teams, the district tournament brackets may be drawn by random

lot or placed into the bracket using a seeding system. A majority vote (recorded in writing) of the Principals,

Athletic Directors and/or Designated Representatives of the schools in the district is required in order to make

or change seeding decisions. In the absence of any documentation, minutes or other verification, the districts

shall not be seeded. The regulations concerning the seeding of a district with four or more teams are as follows:

1) The decision to seed and the method used in seeding (including all tie-breakers) shall be determined by majority

vote of the participating teams in the district and the manager shall record this vote in writing and submit it to

the Association. The representatives making the written declaration shall decide all issues related to seeding,

2) Seeding methods shall be determined prior to the start of the regular season, recorded in writing with a copy

provided to the KHSAA, and shall remain in place until a majority vote of the participating schools rescinds or

changes the seeding decisions. Such changes to the district seeding plan may not be made for the current

58 2006-2007 KHSAA HANDBOOK

Tournament RulesTournament Rules

year once play has begun in the regular season.

3) In the event of dispute, the current copy on file with the KHSAA shall prevail in determining resolution.

4) Seeding plans may, at the discretion of the majority vote of the schools, stipulate a particular team to a

particular seeded position.

5) It shall be the district tournament manager’s responsibility to update the Association with respect to

any changes to the seeding decision or method being used and any relevant tiebreakers. In the absence of

this documentation, consultation with, and written verification and documentation from, prior year

tournament managers, will be utilized by staff to assist with interpretation and clarification.

6) There is no statewide regulation on a seeding method once the determination has been made to seed. Some of

the more common and recommended means of seeding is the record of games played within a district provided

all teams have played all other teams. In that case, each district shall adopt tie-breaking procedures in the event

that the primary method of seeding results in a tie or other situations arise which cause an alteration in the

scheduled seeding method. Among the more common tie-breaking methods are 1) seeding by overall win-loss

record; seeding by win-loss record in specific contests, 3) seeding by a rating/ranking from a statewide poll, 3)

seeding by a majority vote, 4) seeding by a committee, and 5) seeding by a rating turned in by each school.

7) If win-loss records are used for seeding, the records used shall be the records as of the date

of the pre-tournament meeting as published on the KHSAA memorandum calendar. Teams and school

representatives may meet during the regular season to discuss tournament operations (i.e. dates, times,

sites, tournament personnel needs, etc.). However if an organizational meeting is held prior to the published date

on the calendar, no discussions may be held regarding the bracketing or pairings of specific teams unless all

mandated seeded games have been played prior to the meeting. Games played after the published meeting date

SHALL NOT factor into the seeded position.

Yet I am not misled...As I had stated before, it is determined by point differential in head to head play. The rules just stated that the #1 seed would get a bye and it never said how the #1 seed would be determined.
^Apparently you didn't read section 4, part 4.
mcfan1 Wrote:^Apparently you didn't read section 4, part 4.

Thank you...KHSAA clearly states the rules for three team districts...four or more it's up to each district to determine. I've seen this happen several times ( 3 teams). It is confusing because the four or more have their option(s). This must be how Magoffin County won the coin flip. It was a real mess in softball with ER, SV, and Pikeville--2005. The tournament meeting was scheduled before all the games had played, meaning all remaining district games went as a win & loss. One of the games had a rain delay that was also scheduled to finish after the meeting. All three were the best teams in the region and either one could win the region or get beat in first game of district. They ended up re-seeding when the rule was discovered.
I dont know the rules but I know for a fact Pike Central won the district because whoever won the last game won the district.
And I will stick to what I said Belfry played like crap the first 3 quarters. PC is very nice team but Belfry didnt play ball. I talked to a couple PC girls and they said the same thing I said that Belfry didnt play good. PC really struggled with Belfrys press and they was a couple key calls missed at the end of the game (wasnt the refs fought Belfry lost though), but one of the refs told me personaly today he missed 2 in the fourth, but they are only human.
Belfry girls will tell you they didnt play good, I mean PC played well defensivley but Belfry played poorly also, PC had nice ball movement in the first half, ditrict will be fun, we have a awesome district.
Seeding is at the discretion of the majority of the schools. Just like Magoffin's distict do a coin toss, the 60th does it by point differential. It's as simple as that. Let's just drop it and see what happens when it comes tourney time and see who is the #1 seed. I didn't mean to cause a stir, I just know how it has been the past couple of years and it hasn't changed.
PC_Fan Wrote:Yet I am not misled...As I had stated before, it is determined by point differential in head to head play. The rules just stated that the #1 seed would get a bye and it never said how the #1 seed would be determined.
your district may well be that way but as I stated before last year the 57th flipped a coin to determine the #1 seed which was won by Magoffin
PC_Fan Wrote:Seeding is at the discretion of the majority of the schools. Just like Magoffin's distict do a coin toss, the 60th does it by point differential. It's as simple as that. Let's just drop it and see what happens when it comes tourney time and see who is the #1 seed. I didn't mean to cause a stir, I just know how it has been the past couple of years and it hasn't changed.

We both may very well be right, since there are 3 in the girls district and 4 in the boys (Piarist). I do think you are correct (points) in regard to the boys.
Tin Cup Wrote:Magoffin has a four team district...now five
they had 5 last year that has no bearing on this
The Fan Wrote:they had 5 last year that has no bearing on this

True...check out the baseball from last year...Riherds website via KHSAA...Belfry lost the last game played between PCC and lost the district to this rule even though they outscored them. Same rules apply. Districts with three teams don't have an option of how they seed unless all avenues of 5a i ii iii iv v have been used which would throw a 5b into effect. They could possibly use points but only in a three way tie. Hope this clears it up.
Tin Cup Wrote:True...check out the baseball from last year...Riherds website via KHSAA...Belfry lost the last game played between PCC and lost the district to this rule even though they outscored them. Same rules apply. Districts with three teams don't have an option of how they seed unless all avenues of 5a i ii iii iv v have been used which would throw a 5b into effect. They could possibly use points but only in a three way tie. Hope this clears it up.
you said Magoffin now has 5 in there district my point is that has no bearing on the coin flip the 4 5 teams had to play a playin game . Magoffin and Cental each had one loss had to flip a coin to see who played the winner of the 4 5 game each district is different i was just pointing out that we dont use a point system
COngrats Pike Central
It is points on boys and last win with girls, I know this as fact and PC does win the district, if you would rather not then we will take it lol.
These two clubs are going to meet up one more time in the district finals. Both could make it to regional semi-final play. After that, anyone of these two teams could win the region!!!!
(which ever team stays away from Magoffin County's bracket) will be in finals.
I take back my guarantee on who won district, from my understanding now Belfry did win. I thought it went by last win in three team district, but the districts vote on tie breaker and from what I have been told it was voted on to go by margian of victroy. So I dont know really haha but they should meet up in finals anyways.