You left out West Carter who would need to go here in place of Magoffin:

R5-D2
Fairview
Raceland
Paintsville
Pburg
Magoffin County - insert West Carter
Betsy Layne

Magoffin County - Move to D2 with Breathitt/ Powell/ Estill/ Knott in place of Perry Central
Perry Central - Move to D3 with Letcher Central
Any idea of seeding is ridiculous. Who is going to seed how will you compare teams. How will any committee watch everyone to even begin the process. The NCAA can't even seed 68 teams so what makes you think it could be done in Kentucky. Too many moves up and down for schools to ever come close to agreement. I don't think we will ever see 4 classes again but I do wish it to go back to it. I also hate 4 team districts. No team should ever be in playoffs with no wins. Nice work but it's a pipe dream.
Can someone explain the Corbin numbers? They have more students than at least 21, 4A football schools and are playing 3A. 4 year average with more than 16 4A football schools. Why is that?
33 power Wrote:Any idea of seeding is ridiculous. Who is going to seed how will you compare teams. How will any committee watch everyone to even begin the process. The NCAA can't even seed 68 teams so what makes you think it could be done in Kentucky. Too many moves up and down for schools to ever come close to agreement. I don't think we will ever see 4 classes again but I do wish it to go back to it. I also hate 4 team districts. No team should ever be in playoffs with no wins. Nice work but it's a pipe dream.

What makes you think a committee is needed to seed?

A large number of states use a CPU system to seed their playoffs. Ohio and West Virginia being two that border Kentucky that I can name right off the bat.

I have never been a fan of solely relying on CPU's for seeding because it de-values the regular season... that's why I propose that District Champions lock down a higher seed than any team who doesn't win their District.

I do agree that I don't think we will ever see 4-classes...heck probably not even 5 classes... the KHSAA loves that revenue from 6 title games and we cannot ignore that the revenue is a variable that has to be accounted for regardless of what the coaches, fans, or schools would want.
NextGeneration Wrote:Can someone explain the Corbin numbers? They have more students than at least 21, 4A football schools and are playing 3A. 4 year average with more than 16 4A football schools. Why is that?

Without looking at it... are you checking the Male average or the total student average?

Remember that with football it only matters what your male enrollment is.
Problem with CPU systems they can't accurately judge west to east because there is no true comparable data. While the results may be reliable doesn't mean they will also be valid. Without reliability and validity the seeding will be just a guess and end up punishing teams and if the CPU takes scoring margins in to account that's a whole other problem.
That does bump the number down from 21 to 18. Now can some explain this?
33 power Wrote:Problem with CPU systems they can't accurately judge west to east because there is no true comparable data. While the results may be reliable doesn't mean they will also be valid. Without reliability and validity the seeding will be just a guess and end up punishing teams and if the CPU takes scoring margins in to account that's a whole other problem.

Yes and no.

Your argument definitely has validation to it for sure, but at the same time CPU's do a pretty good job come Week 10... specifically the Calpreps ratings which actually take into account Out of State Competition and also limits the impact of game results against the weakest competition a team faces.

10 times out of 10 I would choose the Calpreps ratings over the AP Polls (with human input) in terms of rating teams late in the season.

The CPU system that other State's use is not perfect and maybe a team gets seeded a little high or low, but by and large they are accurate enough that it would produce a predictably good outcome.

As a Belfry fan I have seen both sides of the pitfalls of our current system. I have seen years where Belfry benefited from an incredibly soft Region while other teams were State Title contenders and had to play Top 5 teams in Rounds 2 and 3. I have also seen years where I honestly felt that Belfry beat the 2nd best team in their class and got to beat them at home simply because it was either an even or odd year.

A seeded playoff in the Semi-State helps to eliminate both of these issues.
While I do think this is an awesome layout, and in a perfect world it would be better than the one we have now. I do think it would cause a ton of problems. Teams on the bottom of each respective class would constantly want to move down. They would have a valid argument as well. The good thing about the enrollment based classification is that no one can argue where they belong. Some teams play up, but with the exception of consolidation few ever play down. I know it's not the popular view, but I like it the way it is. I always liked traveling when I played. It makes the game feel bigger when when there is a long trip involved. Most of the guys I played with felt the same way. It's the adults that make a stink about travel, the kids typically don't care as much.
When is the next alignment?
NextGeneration Wrote:Can someone explain the Corbin numbers? They have more students than at least 21, 4A football schools and are playing 3A. 4 year average with more than 16 4A football schools. Why is that?
Corbin numbers has grown since last alignment and were barely under 4a the last time so if all things stay the same they will probably be 4a next go around.
Next alignment is 2018
So if Corbin moves to 4a I would think that we would be in Knox Central's district. That could be fun, with some great rivalry games.
They should be releasing realignment information before long to give schools a chance to examine and comment. I think we are going to see a lot of changes. It's going to be interesting. I think in past it's usually in spring and then ratified in June or something like that. I could be wrong
33 power Wrote:They should be releasing realignment information before long to give schools a chance to examine and comment. I think we are going to see a lot of changes. It's going to be interesting. I think in past it's usually in spring and then ratified in June or something like that. I could be wrong

I believe it is something along those lines. There might be a few surprises for the general population, because there seem to be several schools who have grown and shrunk over the last few years.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Next alignment is 2018

And would take effect for the 19/20 & 21/22 seasons with 2 year review in the middle if they do like in years past.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Next alignment is 2018

Next alignment will begin in 2019. Can't remember for sure but new information to review may not come until next winter for review and adjustments in spring and acceptance in summer. Scheduling for 2019 would go from there. We have 2 more years of the current alignment.
That's correct I had a brain fart. It will be for 19/20. Thanks for the correction
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Next alignment will begin in 2019. Can't remember for sure but new information to review may not come until next winter for review and adjustments in spring and acceptance in summer. Scheduling for 2019 would go from there. We have 2 more years of the current alignment.

Yes you are right
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:There was only 4 classes back then. Mercer would have been 3A back then. They went 5A when the new classes came out.

Not all of the 2A schools stayed 2A either when the classes changed in 2007. Many of the 2A schools that year went 3A and some even went right into 4A in 2007 (most notably LaRue County and Louisville Western who were in their region...Mercer beat LaRue 56-14 by the way & also Lone Oak who was in their same semi state). But, the "4A playing 2A" by the non state champs is never brought up. lol

For what it's worth, Mercer was the LAST school in 5A....aka..the smallest; they've been 4A the last 6-7 years as proof of that and will continue to be so. Thing is, they were probably smaller the first 2-3 years of of the merger than they have been anytime since for that that is worth.

Even more; the enrollment difference between them and other 2A schools that year was nowhere near the difference between old 4A and even current 6A schools; so I've never really understood the focus on Mercer...well, I do, because they won it all.

Didn't Harlan County play in 3A when they first merged and were a 5A school? Well, not sure why I asked; because I know they did.

What Duck????????
LONE OAK SCHEDULE 2007 - 4A
DATE
OPPONENT
SITE
SCORE
Aug 24, 07 Union County home (W) 51 - 0
Aug 31, 07 Caldwell County away (W) 56 - 3
Sep 14, 07 Obion Central, TN away (W) 59 - 6
Sep 21, 07 Calloway County away (W) 34 - 28 (OT)
Sep 28, 07 Todd County Central home (W) 69 - 19
Oct 5, 07 Hopkins County CentraL away (W) 45 - 14
Oct 12, 07 Reidland home (W) 56 - 6
Oct 19, 07 Muhlenberg North home (W) 57 - 8
Oct 26, 07 Fulton City home (W) 56 - 12
Nov 2, 07 Heath away (W) 59 - 13

Nov 9, 07 Muhlenberg North (W) 54 - 0 Class 4A KHSAA
Nov 16, 07 Calloway County (W) 56 - 22 Class 4A KHSAA
Nov 23, 07 North Bullitt (W) 55 - 33 Class 4A KHSAA
Nov 30, 07 Warren East (W) 38 - 35 Class 4A KHSAA

Dec 8, 07 Lexington Catholic (L) 7 - 49 Class 4A KHSAA