Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region Rankings(Week 3)
1. Perry Central (4-1) Beat Corbin, Tates Creek, North Bullitt, and Lee. Lost to Dunbar
2. Knott Central (3-2) Beat Lee, Owsley, Paintsville. Lost to #1 in Mountains Harlan County and Leslie(without 2 starters)
3. Leslie County (5-1) Beat Hazard, Jenkins, North Laurel, Knott(minus 2 starters), Buckhorn. Lost to good South Laurel team
4. Hazard (3-1) Beat Estill, Johnson Central(road game), Clay. Lost to Leslie
5. Owsley (5-1) Beat Breathitt, Riverside, Oneida, Powell, Jackson County. Lost to Knott

Will be hard to compare Perry to anyone else in the region because they don't play any of the top 5 teams at all this season. They play a tough schedule out of the region and a bunch of tournaments to get them ready for a run at the region title. We will just have to wait until the regional tournament to see who is the top team.
Good luck to all the teams in the region.
Perry
Knott
Leslie
Owsley
Hazard
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Perry
Knott
Leslie
Owsley
Hazard

I don’t think Owsley is in the group with the top 4.
Jackson Wrote:I don’t think Owsley is in the group with the top 4.

Opinions vary. But Owsley played Leslie to a two point game on Leslie's floor in preseason scrimmage. Same Leslie team that just beat Hazard and Knott. Played Knott close on there floor while Knott was at full strength.
I can see your argument.
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Perry
Knott
Leslie
Owsley
Hazard
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can you explain your reasoning for putting Owsley ahead of a very strong Hazard team, that could be #2 in the region. Gibson is an awesome player, but just hard to see how you could move them up any higher than 5. Nothing against any of the teams out their, but there is a big separation between 1-4 and the rest.

It is really #1-4........and then a big drop off to #5TongueirateSho
Streetoutlaw Wrote:Opinions vary. But Owsley played Leslie to a two point game on Leslie's floor in preseason scrimmage. Same Leslie team that just beat Hazard and Knott. Played Knott close on there floor while Knott was at full strength.
1.It was a scrimmage and everyone knows how coaches play everyone in scrimmages and they really are not a good judge of how the season is going to go
2. In the Leslie game vs Hazard, the inside players for Hazard missed a ton of shots inside that they will hit a lot more of the next time they play, ask Clay County how much they improved playing together in a week or so
3. In the Leslie game vs Knott, Knott had 2 starters out and another one that played on one leg. When they are at full strength Knott is definitely the #2 or even the top team in the region.
Patriot train Wrote:1.It was a scrimmage and everyone knows how coaches play everyone in scrimmages and they really are not a good judge of how the season is going to go
2. In the Leslie game vs Hazard, the inside players for Hazard missed a ton of shots inside that they will hit a lot more of the next time they play, ask Clay County how much they improved playing together in a week or so
3. In the Leslie game vs Knott, Knott had 2 starters out and another one that played on one leg. When they are at full strength Knott is definitely the #2 or even the top team in the region.

I wasn’t at the scrimmage game between Leslie and Owsley in Hyden but I talked to a Leslie parent of one of their players and was told both teams went at it to win. It was back and forth and hard fought game. Owsley actually led for most of the second half. Leslie had to overcome an 8 point deficit to pull out the 2 point win.
And the Owsley loss at Knott was a very close game. It was like a 4 point game with a few minutes left and Owsley was forced to foul Knott and they converted their free throws to extend the lead. But the final score was no indicator of how close the game was.

The only concern with Owsley is a depth issue. The other 4 teams listed here in this thread as in the top 5 no doubt have deeper benches than Owsley. And they are young, starting a junior, a sophomore, and 2 freshmen along with senior Macie Gibson. First off the bench is a freshman and the next is an eighth grader.
Patriot train Wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can you explain your reasoning for putting Owsley ahead of a very strong Hazard team, that could be #2 in the region. Gibson is an awesome player, but just hard to see how you could move them up any higher than 5. Nothing against any of the teams out their, but there is a big separation between 1-4 and the rest.

It is really #1-4........and then a big drop off to #5TongueirateSho

I based my selections on body of work and like opponents. Example Leslie beat hazard on Hazards floor. Owsley took Leslie to wire on Leslie's floor. It was a scrimmage, I was there and both teams played their regular rotations and both went for win. Owsley also took A full strength Knott team to wire on Knott's floor. Can't see how you can see a huge seperation between 1/4 and 5. Owsley is right there with the top five. If you don't believe come out and watch we would love to have you.
I do agree that Hazard could be top 2 team. Emphasis on could. But not right now they have a lot of chemistry to work out. I may change my top five next week but right now that's my choices.
These rankings are for fun discussions and chatter. All these teams are going to progress throughout the season and the products we see by tournament time will be different, with some teams getting better and others not so much. It’s just a wait and see situation.
Still fun to talk about though, lol.
Owsley deserves the #4 spot, they have a good team with a strong leader in Gibson.

For as long as I can remember a few districts and teams have always received all the attention and rankings on both the boys and girls side. And it's always dictated by the same groups that incidentally are from the same districts and teams.

Keep an open mind and watch the games without biased. We'll see how the season plays out.
Don't know where the rankings will go now. Heard that Estill just beat Owsley 53-52.
justthefacts Wrote:Don't know where the rankings will go now. Heard that Estill just beat Owsley 53-52.

You heared correct. Doesn’t that move owsley down a notch?
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:And the Owsley loss at Knott was a very close game. It was like a 4 point game with a few minutes left and Owsley was forced to foul Knott and they converted their free throws to extend the lead. But the final score was no indicator of how close the game was.

The only concern with Owsley is a depth issue. The other 4 teams listed here in this thread as in the top 5 no doubt have deeper benches than Owsley. And they are young, starting a junior, a sophomore, and 2 freshmen along with senior Macie Gibson. First off the bench is a freshman and the next is an eighth grader.

It was like the indicator was that Knott won by 16. Tell me how many games Owsley has beaten Knott since Gibson has been there. By the way Gibson can play.
Congrats to both teams on a well played game.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:These rankings are for fun discussions and chatter. All these teams are going to progress throughout the season and the products we see by tournament time will be different, with some teams getting better and others not so much. It’s just a wait and see situation.
Still fun to talk about though, lol.

True
Dunbar was a bad loss for us. They are bad. How did we lose to them...SMH
[Image:

]

Bolz, ole fatpat been worried about Dr. Basketball/Big Hammer... anyone seen him? Last I heard, he was seen at a Pizza Hut in Lexington after watching the lady commodes play, but there has been no communication. The 14th isn't the same this year not knowing if the Lady Pats will have to go through a semi pro team to win the region, wowza!

#$500concessionrewardforthepersonthatlocateshim More mash taters please!!!
Don't see a 14 th region team losing to an 11th region team as a bad loss.. that's a top 5 region maybe top 3.. there top 6 or 7 teams would easily win the 14th..
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/214wpf.jpg] Quadruple Wowza! BoPo and CT let ole Fatpat see the cigar the Pats be smoking when the 14th regionalhardware is delivered Honeycutta style baby! #smokeberolling #cigarinhalationbombdiggity More mash taters please!!!
Snow Wrote:You heared correct. Doesn’t that move owsley down a notch?
Even though the game was at Estill, I would still have to move them up to #5 with the big district win. TongueirateSho
Owsley to #6
Snow Wrote:It was like the indicator was that Knott won by 16. Tell me how many games Owsley has beaten Knott since Gibson has been there. By the way Gibson can play.
Congrats to both teams on a well played game.
I concede they haven’t beaten Knott in a long time.
I concede they lost the recent game in Hindman by 16 points after four quarters of play.
I concede that Gibson can play.
There now. I’ve conceded to several concessions.
Patriot train Wrote:Even though the game was at Estill, I would still have to move them up to #5 with the big district win. TongueirateSho
Owsley to #6
Move Owsley anywhere you wish. These rankings don’t mean anything but debate material at this time of the year. In the end the Lady Owls will be okay and be in the regional tournament. They didn’t play well at all last night and Estill played a very good game on their home court and won on a last second shot. It was just one of those games that’s going to happen to all teams a few times during a season.