Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best teams after week 0
who are the top ten teams in the state after this first week of upsets, blowouts, and hard fought victories?
BellMiddle Wrote:who are the top ten teams in the state after this first week of upsets, blowouts, and hard fought victories?

Trinity, Boyle County, Covington Catholic
Twitter: @tc_analytics

In no particular order:
Trinity
Covington Catholic
Male
Scott County
Boyle County
South Warren
Mayfield
DeSales
St. X
Bowling Green
Trinity (Louisville)
Covington Catholic
Boyle County
Louisville Male
CAL
Danville
South Warren
Butler
Fredrick Douglas High
Scott County
According to MaxPreps.....

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Trinity (Louisville)
Covington Catholic
Boyle County
Louisville Male
CAL
Danville
South Warren
Butler
Fredrick Douglas High
Scott County
According to MaxPreps.....

Danville and south Warren surprise me
Hound05 Wrote:Danville and south Warren surprise me
Corbin was #12. These computer rankings are semi-interesting until halfway through the season. Even then, the rankings mean nothing when playoffs begin and the games really matter. Can someone explain to me how the seeding will work next year? I have not read up on the new rules?

Trinity
Male
St X
Scott Co
F.Douglas
Cov Cath
J.Central
Boyle Co
Central
Desales

Teams just on the outside:
Butler
B.Green
S.Warren
F.Simpson
Corbin
Mayfield
CAL

These are in no particular order.
In 2A it’s easily Desales after their win last week.
Texans_99 Wrote:In 2A it’s easily Desales after their win last week.

Easily??? CAL and Mayfield are right there with Desales, imo.. They may be #1 and would get no argument from me if they were, but, I wouldn't put them head and shoulders ahead or easily, as you say. Very close call between all 3..
As far as the top of the list? The teams that were ranked high and had impressive wins are (no particular order):

Boyle Co
Male
DeSales
CAL
Central
Mayfield
Bowling Green

I'd still have near the top:

Trinity
St X
Ballard
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Corbin was #12. These computer rankings are semi-interesting until halfway through the season. Even then, the rankings mean nothing when playoffs begin and the games really matter. Can someone explain to me how the seeding will work next year? I have not read up on the new rules?

The last I heard it is going to be a coaches vote type of thing. I hate it. Mainly because all it’s going to do is cause teams to run up the score if they can. Which will lead to tempers flaring and players getting ejected. They’re will be no more 36-7 final scores when the clock is running in the 2nd quarter. It’ll be 75-0 because teams are trying to make sure they’re seeded higher.
I disagree.

Coaches are smart enough to have an understanding that running up the score isn't the answer to getting votes.

This is the way it should be to guarantee the best title game possible. Boyle Co is having to play on the road a few years in a row based upon the current system when it's very possible they were/will be the best team heading into Thanksgiving Weekend. I'm quite sure our kids and community would like to host a semi-state game while this group of kids are in the system. The Rebels have been screwed with this new cross bracketing system.
FoSho Wrote:I disagree.

Coaches are smart enough to have an understanding that running up the score isn't the answer to getting votes.

This is the way it should be to guarantee the best title game possible. Boyle Co is having to play on the road a few years in a row based upon the current system when it's very possible they were/will be the best team heading into Thanksgiving Weekend. I'm quite sure our kids and community would like to host a semi-state game while this group of kids are in the system. The Rebels have been screwed with this new cross bracketing system.

I'm glad there will be a seeding system, but I think the best system to use would be the Harbin system. It not only considers a team's win-loss record, but also the win-loss record of every team they played.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Corbin was #12. These computer rankings are semi-interesting until halfway through the season. Even then, the rankings mean nothing when playoffs begin and the games really matter. Can someone explain to me how the seeding will work next year? I have not read up on the new rules?
Corbin to me doesn’t deserve to be in the top 10 of the state yet. I guess I’m the skeptical corbin fan. They have to prove their offense to me first. I know the defense will be great but I’m worried about the O and the run game.

I’m not 100% sure either. I know they are using a combination of polls maybe? To determine who is what seed, I could be mistaken though
FoSho Wrote:As far as the top of the list? The teams that were ranked high and had impressive wins are (no particular order):

Boyle Co
Male
DeSales
CAL
Central
Mayfield
Bowling Green

I'd still have near the top:

Trinity
St X
Ballard
Ballard still has a lot to prove to me. They have the talent in place. But can they use it and win? St x also needs to show me they can win without their starting QB. With him, no doubt they can.

I don’t think central should be ranked above corbin. And to me corbin hasn’t shown me- yet- that they belong in the top 10 state wide.
Hound05 Wrote:Ballard still has a lot to prove to me. They have the talent in place. But can they use it and win? St x also needs to show me they can win without their starting QB. With him, no doubt they can.

I don’t think central should be ranked above corbin. And to me corbin hasn’t shown me- yet- that they belong in the top 10 state wide.

Corbin could be better than Central but based on their 18-0 win over a preseason Top 10 6A school, I gave them the edge right now.

I personally think people are overlooking Corbin.
Covington Catholic
Trinity
Scott Co
St Xavier
Boyle
Danville
Male
CAL
Frederick Douglass
Desales
Most impressive win on face value has to be DeSales and that is coming from a guy who's team just beat the #1 2A team in TN. A closer look at St X though shows QB out and a new head coach so not sure what to make of this win but it sure is eye popping on paper
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Most impressive win on face value has to be DeSales and that is coming from a guy who's team just beat the #1 2A team in TN. A closer look at St X though shows QB out and a new head coach so not sure what to make of this win but it sure is eye popping on paper

No way....St X w/out their starting QB w/one week to prepare a first time starter?!?! It's a good win, but no.

The best win was Boyle.
FoSho Wrote:No way....St X w/out their starting QB w/one week to prepare a first time starter?!?! It's a good win, but no.

The best win was Boyle.

I will believe that FoSho when the season unfolds and Ballard can win some big games in Louisville. They showed something last Saturday but their lack of discipline and defensive depth hurt them.

I watched the DeSales vs St X online and DeSales was very impressive despite who did or didn't play. Their line continually whipped the Tigers on both sides and that's what has to trouble the Xavier's.
FoSho Wrote:No way....St X w/out their starting QB w/one week to prepare a first time starter?!?! It's a good win, but no.

The best win was Boyle.

No way !!! Boyle was favored to beat Ballard from the get go.. I doubt anyone in the state was surprised by Boyle's win, while 90% of the folks had St X a pretty big favorite against Desales, even with a new QB.. Out of all the 1400 boys in that school, I'm sure they put in a very good athlete to run there offense, even if he was somewhat inexperienced.. As far as Ballard is concerned, I believe you'll see that like most years, they have good athletes, but, they'll struggle to have a winning record and that win will be just an average win when all's said and done..
FoSho Wrote:Corbin could be better than Central but based on their 18-0 win over a preseason Top 10 6A school, I gave them the edge right now.

I personally think people are overlooking Corbin.

I hope you’re right
St X would have won that game by 2-3 TDs w/their QB. Period.

The best win was Boyle.

Depends on how well Ballard does against Male this week.

Keep in mind that Ballard lost to Simon Kenton 56-12 just last year. They have talented athletes, but as a team they often can't put things together.
CarzyRock Wrote:Depends on how well Ballard does against Male this week.

Keep in mind that Ballard lost to Simon Kenton 56-12 just last year. They have talented athletes, but as a team they often can't put things together.

I agree. In saying that, Austin Carr (although we picked him 4x) changes the dynamics of their offense. They were MUCH BETTER than I thought they were. They were outcoached, out schemed and outplayed last Saturday. They will get better and will be a tough team to beat. Maybe. Wink

I may change my mind after the Male game however. Lol