Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry - at Southwestern - 8:30 PM Don Franklin Bowl 08-23-19
AngryMob Wrote:Fast Facts: Belfry vs. Southwestern (Week 0 2019)

Week 0 Blues: Belfry is 0-2 all time in Week 0 games, both losses coming to Prestonsburg 28-21 (2009) and 21-6 (2010). The Pirates’ have been held to 16 ppg lower than their season average in Week 0 games.

So Far, So Good: The Pirates are 3-0 all time vs Southwestern – 1997 (@ Belfry, 34-16), 2013 (@ Southwestern, 38-27), 2014 (@ Southwestern, 28-7). In 2013, Southwestern scored 11 points more than Belfry’s per game allowed average. Belfry is 2-0 at Southwestern, where Friday Night’s contest will be played.

Old Ties: Belfry linebacker and Air Force commit Grayson Cook and cornerback Isaiah Birchfield played under new Southwestern Head Coach Jason Foley for FBU Team Kentucky in 8th grade.

How'd You Get Here?: In two seasons at Taylor County, Coach Foley led the program to a 19-7 record and a Regional championship in 2018. Prior to Taylor County, Jason Foley served as the head coach at Northern Pulaski where he amassed four Kentucky Middle School Football Association State Championships, three in the 7th grade division (2010, 2015, 2016) and one in the 8th grade division (2011).

Starting Strong: Under Philip Haywood, the Pirates are 22-13 in the first true road game of the season. The last first road game loss was the Ashland in 2010 (36-22). Belfry is 13-3 in such games since 2003, with two of those losses being at Ashland.

Road Warriors: Belfry has only lost 7 regular season away games inside the state of Kentucky since 2010, with three of those losses coming that season.

Welcome Back: Belfry has not had a player rush for 1,300 yards and return the next season since 2009 (Thomas Varney, 1,373). Isaac Dixon rushed for 1,393 as a sophomore, the highest total for any Pirate ballcarrier since Austin Hatfield rushed for 1,600 yards in 2014.

Lots of good info. Thank you. I somebody said SW struggled against Danville in a scrimmage earlier. Don't know if that's true or not but if they did it's not a good sign. Danville lost a ton and have to rebuild but should be decent by the end of the year.
Southwestern had a hard time moving the football against Harlan county when the teams scrimmaged and HC had 5 starters on defense that didn't play in the scrimmage.
AngryMob Wrote:Fast Facts: Belfry vs. Southwestern (Week 0 2019)

Week 0 Blues: Belfry is 0-2 all time in Week 0 games, both losses coming to Prestonsburg 28-21 (2009) and 21-6 (2010). The Pirates’ have been held to 16 ppg lower than their season average in Week 0 games.

So Far, So Good: The Pirates are 3-0 all time vs Southwestern – 1997 (@ Belfry, 34-16), 2013 (@ Southwestern, 38-27), 2014 (@ Southwestern, 28-7). In 2013, Southwestern scored 11 points more than Belfry’s per game allowed average. Belfry is 2-0 at Southwestern, where Friday Night’s contest will be played.

Old Ties: Belfry linebacker and Air Force commit Grayson Cook and cornerback Isaiah Birchfield played under new Southwestern Head Coach Jason Foley for FBU Team Kentucky in 8th grade.

How'd You Get Here?: In two seasons at Taylor County, Coach Foley led the program to a 19-7 record and a Regional championship in 2018. Prior to Taylor County, Jason Foley served as the head coach at Northern Pulaski where he amassed four Kentucky Middle School Football Association State Championships, three in the 7th grade division (2010, 2015, 2016) and one in the 8th grade division (2011).

Starting Strong: Under Philip Haywood, the Pirates are 22-13 in the first true road game of the season. The last first road game loss was the Ashland in 2010 (36-22). Belfry is 13-3 in such games since 2003, with two of those losses being at Ashland.

Road Warriors: Belfry has only lost 7 regular season away games inside the state of Kentucky since 2010, with three of those losses coming that season.

Welcome Back: Belfry has not had a player rush for 1,300 yards and return the next season since 2009 (Thomas Varney, 1,373). Isaac Dixon rushed for 1,393 as a sophomore, the highest total for any Pirate ballcarrier since Austin Hatfield rushed for 1,600 yards in 2014.

Great stuff!

A few fun stat items to add:
- Belfry has never lost to a team from Pulaski County. The Pirates are 10-0 against teams from that County (4-0 vs. Somerset, 3-0 vs. Pulaski County, 3-0 Vs. Southwestern)

- To find the last time a Southern Kentucky region team beat Belfry you have to go all the way back to 1997 when Bell County eliminated Belfry in the Regional Finals (21 years entering this season).

Since then, Belfry is 24-0 against teams from the Southern Kentucky area.

- Bowl games beside the Pike County Bowl have not been especially kind to Belfry in the modern era.

Belfry lost at Ryle (1999) in the Com-Air Bowl 42-17
Belfry lost at Breathitt County (1997) in the Honey Bowl 42-6

They did win a bowl game at Clay County over Leslie County in 1988 and they defeated Montgomery County in the Rec Bowl in 1980.

Belfry played in one Bowl game that came near the end of the season. They lost to eventual 1A State Champion Lynch 20-6 in 1959 in the Big Sandy Bowl.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Great stuff!

- To find the last time a Southern Kentucky region team beat Belfry you have to go all the way back to 1997 when Bell County eliminated Belfry in the Regional Finals (21 years entering this season).

Since then, Belfry is 24-0 against teams from the Southern Kentucky area.

For the record, if you want to find Belfry's kryptonite, historically it has been the Tri-State area of NEKY, Southern OH, and the Huntington area of WV.

Belfry is 27-59 All-Time against teams from this area.

Among them:
Belfry is 3-17 vs. Ashland
Belfry is 1-12 vs. Ironton, OH
and most surprising of all, Belfry is 2-7 against Boyd County.

Belfry has played Russell more than any other team from that area and holds a 14-11 record against the Red Devils. The only other teams from that area Belfry boasts a winning record against are Cabell Midland, WV (3-1) and Coal Grove, OH (1-0). Belfry and Greenup County have split 4 regular season games.
If Belfry is healthy they will be just fine. If not, will be in trouble. Coach Foley at SW will have his boys ready to play.
Belfry 28
SW 21
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For the record, if you want to find Belfry's kryptonite, historically it has been the Tri-State area of NEKY, Southern OH, and the Huntington area of WV.

Belfry is 27-59 All-Time against teams from this area.

Among them:
Belfry is 3-17 vs. Ashland
Belfry is 1-12 vs. Ironton, OH
and most surprising of all, Belfry is 2-7 against Boyd County.

Belfry has played Russell more than any other team from that area and holds a 14-11 record against the Red Devils. The only other teams from that area Belfry boasts a winning record against are Cabell Midland, WV (3-1) and Coal Grove, OH (1-0). Belfry and Greenup County have split 4 regular season games.

That Russell record is worth noting I think we’ve won like 6 of 8 against them? I don’t have my info in front of me.

2004 Belfry
2005 Russell
2006 Russell
2008 Belfry
2010 Belfry
2014 Belfry
2015 Belfry
2016 Belfry

Also, Ashland only plays when they know they can win 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️
Bluegrassboy61 Wrote:If Belfry is healthy they will be just fine. If not, will be in trouble. Coach Foley at SW will have his boys ready to play.
Belfry 28
SW 21

Unfortunately, Belfry Is not healthy. I think SW has the edge.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Unfortunately, Belfry Is not healthy. I think SW has the edge.

Belfry most likely healthier than Southwestern.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Belfry most likely healthier than Southwestern.

The way its looking right now, unless something changes from now until Friday, Belfry will have everyone ready to go except for QB Coleman. We'll still be a little banged up but nothing that would keep some of our key players from playing. So, in my opinion, if we go to Southwestern and lose it wont be because of injuries, it'll be because we got beat! Good luck to both teams Friday night, hoping both teams can get past the injury/illness bug that seems to be going around.
RoShamBo Wrote:He's a troll. Southwestern doesn't have any real posters on here anymore. I've had suspicions for a while that they are all the same person.

I have had suspicions for a while that you need to :gtfo: this is the BIG BOY football site, you go cheer for them big bad bunnies.
Cant wait till Friday, Foley football has arrived. He may be the best coach in the state. I would hate to be on the Belfry coaching staff Friday trying to match football IQ's with Coach Foley. The Southwestern schedule is brutal starting next week, nice to start with a tune up game to build confidence.:betterthanexpected:
What state is Belfry from? What is their mascot? Is this there first time playing in this state? I hope SW don't beat them to bad. GOOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!!:blondeche
How's the visitor seating at Southwestern, and the parking?
Parking is fairly good not the best I've seen but differently not the worst. The seating is good on the visitor side when Harlan county played for the regional championship in 2017 there were alot of HC fans at SW and everyone had a place to sit.
Footballcrazyman Wrote:Parking is fairly good not the best I've seen but differently not the worst. The seating is good on the visitor side when Harlan county played for the regional championship in 2017 there were alot of HC fans at SW and everyone had a place to sit.

Good deal. You can always park somewhere, I was more worried about seating. Thanks.
I watched the game and think it was like most scrimmages. No team really wants to show a lot nor take a chance of anybody getting injured. The only thing that would have stood out was Danville's d-line. They had some good size boys with talent. Besides that, SW defense is extremely solid. I've seen where a few posts mentioning on Belfry 's O-Line. If that's true, they will be in trouble. SW has one of the best defense's in the state.
Belfry 21- Southwestern 7 but pulling for my Warriors!
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Facts. If y'all really believe any of these people posting are SW posters you've lost your mind. The majority of them are one guy who doesn't like Foley.

Yeah, I see that now. My apologies. I didnt realize it until I went back and saw how he spelled Coach Foley's name. Childish! Who in the world wouldn't want Coach Foley running their team? That's just ignorant. The man is a good one! And will do nothing but great things for the Southwestern football program.
Trophy Room Wrote:Cant wait till Friday, Foley football has arrived. He may be the best coach in the state. I would hate to be on the Belfry coaching staff Friday trying to match football IQ's with Coach Foley. The Southwestern schedule is brutal starting next week, nice to start with a tune up game to build confidence.:betterthanexpected:
:okay:
pjdoug Wrote::okay:

😂😂😂
I’ll have to take Belfry in this one.
Game day Pirates now go and have fun and play Belfry football. Have all the confidence in the world in you guys and pray that this is an injury free game for both teams.
AngryMob Wrote:That Russell record is worth noting I think we’ve won like 6 of 8 against them? I don’t have my info in front of me.

2004 Belfry
2005 Russell
2006 Russell
2008 Belfry
2010 Belfry
2014 Belfry
2015 Belfry
2016 Belfry

Also, Ashland only plays when they know they can win 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

Here is the full history of that series.

1973 Russell
1974 Russell
1975 Belfry
1976 Belfry
1977 Russell
1978 Russell
1979 Belfry
1980 Belfry
1981 Russell
1982 Russell
1983 Russell
1984 Russell
1985 Belfry
1986 Belfry
1988 Belfry
1989 Russell
1990 Belfry
2004 Belfry
2005 Russell
2006 Russell
2008 Belfry
2010 Belfry
2014 Belfry
2015 Belfry
Is this game streamable?
TjPirate20 Wrote:Is this game streamable?
Yes. Lake Cumberland Sports.com
Thank you so much