Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfers Cost Floyd County Schools $1.5 Million
THOMCAT Wrote:Yes Johnson Central had a few kids with Prestonsburg ties. Throughout the state kids that live in close proximity to county lines often travel to the other county. It is sometimes for athletics, sometimes for a quality education, sometimes for programs that other schools do not offer. Our kids with Floyd County ties came during elementary and middle school or enrolled from the beginning. Several have parents that are school employees. The bottom line is that if you provide a quality product that is appealing people will accept it. Apparently their school system is neither quality or appealing.

I don’t think it’s simply because the school systems weren’t quality or appealing. Prestonsburg high school has graduated some very successful people. I know JC folks are really proud of their school for its athletic and academic success as they should be. But for kids that live in far northern Floyd County it’s just as easy and fast to take their kids to JC or Paintsville as it is Prestonsburg.

Families have sent their kids to schools outside the district they live in for a variety of different reasons and will continue to do so and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Prestonsburg lost majority of athletes in 2016-2017 because of one assistant coach/principal demanding his middle school son play a different position. Several middle school coaches got upset because Coach D took assistant coaches side and the rest is history.
Coach D is *was* was leader of the program. If he thought that was for the best, then he was probably right.
Real Badman Wrote:Coach D is *was* was leader of the program. If he thought that was for the best, then he was probably right.

Coach D was the face of the program for many years. He was a "straight shooter" and he didn't show favoritism. From what I have heard, there were a lot of "entitled" parents around the program and this led to a lot of talent leaving the program. To this day, I have been told in the younger classes, this still continues to happen, and Paintsville continues to be the beneficiary. Regardless, Coach Brewer is a very good coach, and if the talent in the younger classes remain intact, you can expect some good things in the future.