Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCracken County 42 Mayfield 7
Final from McCracken County.  McCracken scored 3 defensive touchdowns and coasted to a victory.   Sounds like the short preseason made it tough on Mayfield to replace all of their offensive losses from last season.   That's a lot to replace in a short time even for a program as good as Mayfield.  I'm sure they'll improve a bunch and be a factor come playoff time like always.
Mayfield will be fine. Their defense is pretty solid. One big factor was Mayfield having numerous players playing both ways. You could tell it was taking a toll. The lone passing TD that McCracken scored was the only broken coverage pass reception Mayfield gave up. The other 2 tds on the ground were after Mayfield was worn down. What they were able to stop in the first half they couldn’t stop late in the game. McCracken’s defense played solid throughout. Those 3 defensive tds, & the stops on 4th & 1 were drive killers but Mayfields defense held McCracken the majority of the time.
I'm not used to seeing Mayfield on the wrong side of a blowout like this.
McCracken usually starts the season slow and gets stronger as the fall progresses. Does not appear to be the case in 2020.
The Mayfield faithful will always tell you most teams finally score when they have their subs in the game, tonight Mayfield scored when McCracken's subs were in the game just saying. Mayfield will probably beat everybody else they play as their District doesn't have much. Their size and speed isn't up to par or so it seems.
That was a hard one to watch. Its hard as a cardinal fan to watch your team get dominated like that. Our defense is pretty good but we have alot of question marks on offense. I believe the talent is there and by seasons end they will be ok but they may take a few losses this year.
Ouch! Not used to seeing this happen to the Cards. Good luck the rest of the way. I'm sure Mayfield will figure it out and be right in the mix when it's all said and done. Congrats McCracken Co on a nice win!
McCracken won this game in the trenches, especially there DL. They were in the Cardinal backfield all night long. In addition, Mayfield's kicking game did them no favors. There punter averaged about 10 yards a punt and a few of those they were already backed up deep in there own territory, giving the Mustangs a very short field to work with. They also missed a short field goal and got stopped inside the McCracken red zone 2 or 3 times on 4th and short, so, they had there chances. To McCracken's credit, there D was tough and opportunistic, scoring 2 pick 6's and a fumble recovery for a TD. They definitely keyed on Galbreath and never let him get anything going and it doesn't appear the Cards have the same passing game as in recent years to help open things up. I'm sure they'll learn from this game and improve as the season wears on, but, they'll likely take a few games on the chin until then.
Starting with 2014 - McCracken Co. has beaten Mayfield four times, something no other program in the state has done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tica's post:
  • Walt Longmire
McCracken County
  • dominated the LOS on both sides
  • defense controlled the game
  • QB looked the part - will need to improve on accuracy but arm strength was good. Did his job (no costly mistakes) with defense playing well
  • H. Bradley appeared to be in midseason form
  • I. McCune looks good at safety position

Mayfield
  • lost defensive leader J. Rogers on 2nd play from scrimmage
  • looked young and inexperienced in almost every facet
  • K. Galbreath (RB/LB) playing both ways this season, showed signs of being tired early in the game. Productivity will increase as his game conditioning improves
  • passing game was limited to short routes and screens - didn't see much on QB arm strength

Game played out more like 28-7 without the defensive scores
Penalties weren’t a significant factor, both teams did well considering this year’s situation
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • PurpleFlash, Westside
Stopping Galbreath so often was big surprise to me especially on a couple 3rd and 4th down short yard tries. Kicking really hurt Mayfield as well. What's the report on the J. Rogers injury is he okay, that had to hurt Mayfield. The weather co-operated as it was not a killer heat for a first game. I'm not aware of any McCracken injuries. I'm sure everybody had some aches and pains as it was a pretty physical game both ways. Refs did a good job as they had 6 i believe.
Congrats Mustangs, my Cards have alot of work to do but all the problems looked fixable other than likely having all state LB Rodgers out likely for the year. The youthful Cards were outmanned up front and without any punting stayed backed up most of the night. Likely a rocky early to mid season and not likely a title contender this year but we have been blessed for so long its hard to fathom going thru something like this. The Mustangs are likely the best team out in the far west if the QB continues to make strides with accuracy. Good luck Mustangs going forward.
Mayfield Cardinal good luck against Graves County, hang in there better days are ahead for old football fans hopefully as we get thru this pandemic.. Take care.