Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senate to vote on minimum wage proposals
The Senate is gearing up for a vote on whether to raise the minimum wage for the first time in eight years as Democrats and Republicans offer competing proposals they want to add to bankruptcy legislation.

Looking ahead to the expected votes Monday evening, the Democratic plan would increase the current $5.15 hourly minimum by more than $2. The GOP proposal couples a more modest raise with a change to the 40-hour work week.

The plan from Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pennsylvania, also includes tax and regulatory breaks for small businesses. His amendment would lift the minimum wage by $1.10 over 18 months, in two steps of 55 cents.

The rival proposal from Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, would boost the wage to $7.25 in three increments over 26 months.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/03/0...index.html
THis would be good for kids in who need money and are sstill in school
In my opinion, Kids in high school dont need anymore than the current minimum wage. That is enough.

However, for working families who can only find a minimum wage job for whatever reason, they should be the ones to get the increase not the everyone.

It would not be a good decision to raise the minimum wage by that large of amount in such a short time.
Well the minimum wage is over due. Inflation raises prices 8% per year and minimum wage hasn't kept up with the change, so in reality people are getting paid less each year.
Yesterday the Senate shot down the proposal. I think the tallies were:

46 against
43 for
good...
I agree with what you said about too big of a raise in too short of a time, but I do believe that a change is needed.
I agree 4leaf.. The cost of living is too high for people to make it on minimum wage. and there aren't many jobs around here where people are willing to pay more than the minimum to their employees.
ok, so when the minimum goes up so does the housing and other stuff...it's a never ending problem...
I'm not saying any of this for me BGG, I dont live on campus nor does the raise in minimum wage affect me. However, even a raise of 50 cents would raise each the monthly total around $70. I think it should pass the same reason you do.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:In my opinion, Kids in high school dont need anymore than the current minimum wage. That is enough.

However, for working families who can only find a minimum wage job for whatever reason, they should be the ones to get the increase not the everyone.

It would not be a good decision to raise the minimum wage by that large of amount in such a short time.

When you have trouble finding a job that will offer anything more than 8 hours a week when you're in high school, you realize that a small boost in minimum wage would make a noticeable difference.
due to the high cost of living i think the raise was needed. i am getting ready to start my first job. i own my own business but now i am going to work too to make some extra money. parents arent always willing to buy everything that a teenager needs and clothes and shoes and etc. are so high now i think that the raise would allow us to buy the things that we want. gas prices, car insurance, and everything else to so high too no one can afford to drive anymore.
BGG, I forgot to add that housing has raised the past three years at UK already, so another one wouldn't seem out of the ordinary.