Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who does everyone think will be the starting line ups for the 15th region teams?
JUST_SAY_IT Wrote:IMO, the starting 5 for Pike Central should be. Kayla Lowe,Kayla Ratliff, Abby Coleman, A.D. Slone, and Hannah Thompson, I know some will think I am crazy for saying Hannah not Holly ,But if you ever watch the two play you will see Hannah can handle the ball better and Holly can't take the presure like Haley did and IMO thats who I would start, Holly is a good ball player but I don't think she should be the point guard.

The starting 5 for PC was K. Lowe, K. Ratliff, A. Colemean, A.D. Slone and H. Harris on Saturday. Holly handled the pressure and the ball very well against a team that pressed over half of the game. Hannah is a good player as well. I don't see a problem with having 6 players that can start on any given night and I would say that the starting line up will depend on the team that PC will be up against on that particular night. They went 9 deep against a very good Nelson County and didn't miss a step. The lady hawks looked good. The UK recruit couldn't stop Lowe in the post nor could she guard her from beyond the arc. PC moved the ball well. Good game. Good showing by both teams.
IMO for Valley:

Sally Roberts
Laura Perkins
Kayla Cantrell
Courtney Smallwood
Kayla Smallwood

Amanda, Brooke, Lynn Tackett, Cyrena Salinas, and Chablis will be excellent off the bench, but imo, should not start. Although these girls are very talented, they are young and don't have enough experience to be a STARTER on a varsity team.

I'm excited because for the first time in a long time, we actually have a bench! Valley should be able to wear down most teams because Rowe will have fresh people to sub in and out at will. But, if you read these threads, coaches, I think it's a mistake to not start at least one of the Smallwoods. They were really an asset at the end of the season last year. And, coaching girls is different than boys. You'll take away team morale by not starting seniors who are good and have experience. I'm not arguing for starting seniors regardless. I don't believe in that. But, these girls can play. Don't look over this year's girls in hopes of building for the future. Just my opinion...
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Yes, Goble and Sawyers can help, from what I've heard on Goble she is pretty good, and I know Amanda can play, all I was saying earlier is she isn't a starter.

I usually support what you say on most of your post but on this one you are way off. Amanda is going to complement Rowes style of play. She can play great defense, she hustles, and she can shoot outside. Her attitude is great. She is a team player and wants nothing but the best for her team. SV is a team this year. This team will have players that:

1. Play defense
2. Make the extra pass
3. rebound/blockout

This is Rowes philosophy. He is developing a team that can run and gun, but at the same time slow it down and run some good sets.

This is a totally different team and Amanda is a big part of that. :Thumbs:

Now Sv has a deep bench. Rod will put the best five out there that gets it done on the defensive end. Courtney Smallwood is hurt and Kayla is a spark off the bench. It doesn't matter who starts the game, but who finshes the game.

Chablis Goble is a banger, she has height, and she is a great defender. She can run and get into the fast break better than most post players SV has right now.

I think that you will be supprised the way this team plays. Nothing but good things can happen for them only if every player excepts their roll and stays positive.
all-or-nothing Wrote:IMO for Valley:

Sally Roberts
Laura Perkins
Kayla Cantrell
Courtney Smallwood
Kayla Smallwood

Amanda, Brooke, Lynn Tackett, Cyrena Salinas, and Chablis will be excellent off the bench, but imo, should not start. Although these girls are very talented, they are young and don't have enough experience to be a STARTER on a varsity team.

I'm excited because for the first time in a long time, we actually have a bench! Valley should be able to wear down most teams because Rowe will have fresh people to sub in and out at will. But, if you read these threads, coaches, I think it's a mistake to not start at least one of the Smallwoods. They were really an asset at the end of the season last year. And, coaching girls is different than boys. You'll take away team morale by not starting seniors who are good and have experience. I'm not arguing for starting seniors regardless. I don't believe in that. But, these girls can play. Don't look over this year's girls in hopes of building for the future. Just my opinion...

IMO if two girls are completely equal in talent then I would play the youngest girl. A coach has to build for the future to ensure that he will have a program for years to come. It is just the nature of the beast. You really don't know the situation and shouldn't comment on what the coach should do until you are there to watch practice everyday, and see who is getting it done.

Coaching boys and girls is different, but if the players are team players want what is best for the team then it will not matter. Every player on every team has a role, and it is important for every team member find that and except it.:thumpsup:
good Posts Hootie!!!!!
pawgurlfan Wrote:I have heard through the "Grape Vine" that sawyers is a ball hog!!! She is also one of the worst passers on the team. I heard that most of her passes are wild & thrown to hard & half the time the girls miss them. As she is being coached by rowe he loves the extra passes so I say she will learn to pass right & control them. Maybe that will help her not be such a ball hog.

I dont no what u have been hearing but I watched Sawyers this weekend in Letcher County and might I say she made some great passes...Oh yeah and if they think she throws too hard then maybe they should learn to try to catch the ball..Shes not a ball hog either....Shelby Valley played in Letcher County Sat. with 4 starters in Double Figures....So I dont think she could be that big of a ball hog..
Good post Hootie
hootie Wrote:IMO if two girls are completely equal in talent then I would play the youngest girl. A coach has to build for the future to ensure that he will have a program for years to come. It is just the nature of the beast. You really don't know the situation and shouldn't comment on what the coach should do until you are there to watch practice everyday, and see who is getting it done.

Coaching boys and girls is different, but if the players are team players want what is best for the team then it will not matter. Every player on every team has a role, and it is important for every team member find that and except it.:thumpsup:

Good post. I respect your opinion. I am not a coach, so I am not a savvy about the ins and outs of managing players. But, I don't have to watch practice to have an opinion. Perhaps your insight is more valid than mine, since you have the opportunity to see the girls in practice. And, I do hope everyone ACCEPTS her role on the team and works together for the wins. It's just my opinion that, if two girls are even in talent, they should get equal playing time, but the oldest should be the starter. To every thing, there is a season.

Anyway, no more negative talk from me. I think Coach Rowe and Coach Alvin are great and will make regional champions of this team. Can't wait for the season to begin!:1:
Paintsville:
Jesikah Russell
Laura Carroll
Katie Adams
Amanda Jarrell
Emily Castle
*with Leah VanHoose seeing many minutes off the bench as she earns them
For Jenkins
Nicole Revis
Paige Johnson
Heather Maggard
Emily Walker
Hillary Brashear.
blackcat_student Wrote:For the Prestonsburg Lady Blackcats it should look something like this,

Julianne Frye
Rikki Hughes
Alexis Derossett
Lindsey Fields
Brittany Collins

Collins should have a really good year with alot to prove after missing last season with an injury.

GO LADY BLACKCATS!

YOU GOT TO KIDDING....ALEXIS DEROSSETT.....Why just because she is a DEROSSETT !!!!!
spalding Wrote:I totally agree with thiss statement... I have heard from some of the girls on the team that Sawyers brings alot of negative nergy to the team. This is something that should be stopped immediately before it ruins the chemistry of the team.
She also needs to realize that she is only a sophomore and a transfer . Therefore she needs to quit trying to be the team leader. And she definately should not be a "STARTER"

it shouldnt matter if she is a 8th grader. if she can play everyone needs to quit crying because a transfer is taking someone's spot. once again is she can play let her play
Well, I see both sides on this, but never underestimate the power of teens to decide what is right & what is not. If someone new comes in and brings a negative vibe, it will unsettle the team for the entire year. Regardless of age & regardless of whether that player is "good enough" or not. We could site specific situations where team after team, around here, has subscribed to this practice (both male & female) & none have been very successful @ it. Sometimes people would rather win and alot of times, even lose, with their own rather than see lifelong relationships destroyed by bringing in someone new. Is it right... well, who's to say. A coach usually decides such matters.(I guess that's why they get paid "the big bucks"Wink )
sugarcookie2 Wrote:YOU GOT TO KIDDING....ALEXIS DEROSSETT.....Why just because she is a DEROSSETT !!!!!

I agree with Blackcat, the Derossett girl is one of the better players on the team even though she is a freshman, and even if she didn't start she would be the sixth girl of the bench for Pack's Lady Blackcats.
1911 Wrote:Paintsville
Laura Carroll
Jessica Russell
Katie Adams
I have no idea who will complete this lineup.

didnt one of the starters for lc move to paintsville or jc? i heard that lc lost a bunch of key players this year.
Pikeville:

-Anna Sanders
-Sarah Davis
-Rikki Maynard
-Christina Johnson
-Erica Cecil
How long did it take you to come up with that one, she's been playing for Jack since she was in the 6th grade
Sheldon Clark's team is pretty strong. With Patience Brewer in the low post we have a strong inside threat. Carla Booth is a good ball handler and shooter. Our permeter shooters are also decent. We have several who can hit the three.

I wouldnt expect anything spectacular, but we'll end up with a winning season without a doubt.
Basketballer Wrote:How long did it take you to come up with that one, she's been playing for Jack since she was in the 6th grade

Sorry Basketballer, but I think you have the wrong player. I believe that Out_of_Bounds34 was not talking about the Carroll girls, but maybe the Chaffin girl who transferred to Paintsville this year. Rolleyes
Waht about East Ridge?
East Ridge is or should be
c=swindell #20
g=mccarty #21
f=conley #12
g=Fraley #30
f=mullins #22 -#3
I completely disagree with whoever says that Amanda Sawyers should not start for Shelby Valley. I agree with hootie, she fits in nicely with the run and gun type of ball style that Rowe likes to play.
The only thing I don't understand is why Kayla Smallwood is not starting. I understand why Cortney Smallwood does not start due to her prior injury, but I just do not understand the logic in not starting Kayla--- well, not playing her at all really. There was a time I went and watched them this year and the announcer accidently had Kayla Smallwood as a starter, whenever Rowe realized this he had a player at the table DURING the jump ball ready to take her out during the first dead ball. I don't think she got back in the whole game. I don't know if she has done something, I'm not enlightened on the subject if she is, but I couldn't figure out exactly why she was seeing no playing time at all.
The Pink Lady Wrote:I completely disagree with whoever says that Amanda Sawyers should not start for Shelby Valley. I agree with hootie, she fits in nicely with the run and gun type of ball style that Rowe likes to play.
The only thing I don't understand is why Kayla Smallwood is not starting. I understand why Cortney Smallwood does not start due to her prior injury, but I just do not understand the logic in not starting Kayla--- well, not playing her at all really. There was a time I went and watched them this year and the announcer accidently had Kayla Smallwood as a starter, whenever Rowe realized this he had a player at the table DURING the jump ball ready to take her out during the first dead ball. I don't think she got back in the whole game. I don't know if she has done something, I'm not enlightened on the subject if she is, but I couldn't figure out exactly why she was seeing no playing time at all.

Well, I was wondering the same thing. The few minutes of playing time she has seen this year, Kayla was outstanding. I can't understand this one either. Any inside information, anyone?
Paintsville
G-Laura Carroll-Jr.
G-Amanda Jarrell-So.
F-Emily Castle-So.
F-Jessikah Russell-Sr.
C-Katie Adams-Jr.
out_of_bounds34 Wrote:didnt one of the starters for lc move to paintsville or jc? i heard that lc lost a bunch of key players this year.

Yeah, Brittany Chafins came to Paintsville but she doesn't start. She is a key player off the bench though