Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wymt tournament
Now that the brackets are out, what are some of your predictions for the tournament?
Top Half:
Breathitt County
Martin County

Harlan
Hazard

Bottom Half:
Harlan County
Knott Central

Perry Central
Betsy Layne
(10-21-2022, 01:10 PM)I’m clipperw Wrote: Top Half:
Breathitt County
Martin County

Harlan
Hazard

Bottom Half:
Harlan County
Knott Central

Perry Central
Betsy Layne
Breathitt
hazard

Harlan
perry
I honestly think this will be the best the tourney in a long time with a lot of equal talent in the field..I’m interested in to who people think will win it all and who will be in the finals?..
(10-22-2022, 11:30 PM)MADDBOMBER14 Wrote: I honestly think this will be the best the tourney in a long time with a lot of equal talent in the field..I’m interested in to who people think will win it all and who will be in the finals?..
I think it’ll be 

Breathitt 
Harlan 

championship.
(10-23-2022, 12:16 AM)Ole-glory Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 11:30 PM)MADDBOMBER14 Wrote: I honestly think this will be the best the tourney in a long time with a lot of equal talent in the field..I’m interested in to who people think will win it all and who will be in the finals?..
I think it’ll be 

Breathitt 
Harlan 

championship.
I look for it to be Perry and Harlan in the championship..
I’ll predict a Breathitt County vs Harlan County championship game, which is most likely a toss up
Perry and Harlan County Final
(10-25-2022, 11:06 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Perry and Harlan County Final
Can’t be. They are in the bottom together.
Oh. Probably be Harlan County and Breathitt then. Thanks Monster
This used to be easily the best in season tournament in the state. The gyms were packed out every single night but the streaming world has killed it. a lot of empty seats now. I'll say Breathitt over Harlan Co too.
(10-25-2022, 12:30 PM)Tailback44 Wrote: This used to be easily the best in season tournament in the state. The gyms were packed out every single night but the streaming world has killed it. a lot of empty seats now. I'll say Breathitt over Harlan Co too.

How so?
I could talk for hours about why this tournament isn't what it used to be, but I don't think streaming is the culprit.
Why pay when you can watch for free. Streaming world has hurt sporting events a lot.
Excatly what duke just said. Why would I leave my recliner when I can watch from my house? I do still get out and enjoy a lot of games but some days after work I just shut down at home and watch bsn or others streaming. It's 100% hurt it. just take a look at the crowds next time you go to a game.
(10-25-2022, 12:27 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Oh.  Probably be Harlan County and Breathitt then.  Thanks Monster
I would pick that but with Perry playing Harlan Co first game of the season at Harlan co it will be hard to win over there first game with all the expectations for them..but then they come to a tourney thats hosted at Perry and Perry with a couple games under their belt to adjust some things.. don’t see Harlan co upsetting perry at Perry in that tournament( yes I know they did last year but that was regular season and real games under their belt)

(10-25-2022, 12:30 PM)Tailback44 Wrote: This used to be easily the best in season tournament in the state. The gyms were packed out every single night but the streaming world has killed it. a lot of empty seats now. I'll say Breathitt over Harlan Co too.
I think alot of people are sleeping on Harlan  city..yes they lost their so called best player but I watched them this summer and they looked good and were playing very well together.
[/quote]
I think alot of people are sleeping on Harlan  city..yes they lost their so called best player but I watched them this summer and they looked good and were playing very well together.
[/quote]

Yes, most underrated team in the region in most things I've seen. They have four starters back and are athletic enough to really get after people.
(10-21-2022, 01:10 PM)clipperw Wrote: Top Half:
Breathitt County
Martin County

Harlan
Hazard

Bottom Half:
Harlan County
Knott Central

Perry Central
Betsy Layne
Breathitt
Perry

Championship
Perry goes to Harlan first game of the year, then a possible rematch a week later in round 2 of wymt.. could be interesting!!
There's no doubt Perry is one of the favorites and certainly could win, but I don't know about them being a favorite over HC. The Bears won by 20 over there last year and bring back four starters. I think Perry lost three starters and a sub or two. There are probably five teams with a shot to win the tournament.
Perry just reloads HCS.
(10-25-2022, 12:54 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Why pay when you can watch for free.  Streaming world has hurt sporting events a lot.

WYMT has been broadcasting these games on TV and streaming them all online for years, but it hasn't been until the last several years that attendance has gone down.
Some of the biggest gates in the history of the tournament were when Perry and Knott were good while Beverly and Justice were there and they were all streamed online and/or televised.
Breathitt County has BSN streaming everything and I would argue that all the coverage they've given the Bobcats and the rest of that district has improved attendance.
When I was at WYMT we fought this notion a lot because some teams didn't want to be game of the week because they thought it hurt their gate, but we would film the crowd during highlights of non-televised games against the same teams and compare it to when we went for Game of the Week and it was never impacted seriously and most of the time there were more people in the crowd for games we promoted. There were instances when attendance went down significantly during a Game of the Week there was always another contributing factor like snow or a football game with heavy rain.

I've studied this pretty extensively over the years to the point that maybe I will do a formal study sometime if schools will give me access to actual numbers.

As for the WYMT Mountain Classic attendance...
They moved this tournament from January to December partially in hopes of avoiding some All-A conflicts with the 15th Region. December basketball is bad basketball. Teams have barely got the football players in rotation and they are still playing early-season sloppy basketball. And if you look down the list of teams this year the only team it looks like they added to the mix from this move was Betsy Layne.
The best teams just aren't in it this year. They've gone these last several years and haven't had Reed Sheppard a single time. North Laurel and Pikeville should be in this tournament if it is going to be the premiere tournament in EKY. I'm sure they've asked about it and haven't worked it out, but I would have spent money to bring them in. You would sell a few thousand more tickets for people to see a former UK player and maybe sit in the crowd with Jeff Sheppard. 

Rant over.
One thing I miss more than anything with watching the Mountain Classic on TV is Jim Frasure on the call. I loved it when he'd say: "The Mountain Classic!"
Didn’t look like a rant to me Zaga. That was a nice post.
(11-04-2022, 08:40 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Didn’t look like a rant to me Zaga.  That was a nice post.

Anything over 4 of 5 lines is a rant to me lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes zaga_fan's post:
  • DukeBoy
DukeBoyDidn’t look like a rant to me Zaga.  That was a nice post.

i thought it was good also and would be interested in more study on the topic. Even though it was on TV back in the day I'd go to the games I was interested in and watch again on the ol' vcr later. I wonder how much thought is put into how a teams fan base travels? I'd have to guess that Letcher fans might outnumber Harlan fans for example just due to distance?
that said, I'm thankful that we have live streaming for those away from here and those that can't get out.
(11-04-2022, 03:09 PM)Slim one Wrote: DukeBoyDidn’t look like a rant to me Zaga.  That was a nice post.

i thought it was good also and would be interested in more study on the topic. Even though it was on TV back in the day I'd go to the games I was interested in and watch again on the ol' vcr later. I wonder how much thought is put into how a teams fan base travels? I'd have to guess that Letcher fans might outnumber Harlan fans for example just due to distance?
that said, I'm thankful that we have live streaming for those away from here and those that can't get out.
The problem with tournament in my opinion only..they base a lot of the teams on what they have returning which will be how good they will so i really like that but the down fall comes from that each coach has to apply every year to be in this and then it’s a waiting game to see if you get chooses 3 reasons as a coach this sucks..1. You won’t schedule a whole season and plus no games during those dates until you see if you chosen to play in the tournament..2. If you are not chosen it’s hard to get games during those dates because most other teams have already got their schedule built and those dates are taken..and 3. If you are good enough to get chosen then 90% chance you got a team or teams that’s also chosen as an in season season game already and could put you playing 2 or maybe 3 times that season..I just think the process of choosing teams and the bracket needs to come out around state tourney time so coaches know how to work their schedule..just like Perry plays Harlan co and then 2 weeks later play them again..
There are a lot of factors that go into attendance and I don't have all the answers, but I can tell you having the best teams in the best location seems like a good move.

When the 14th was home to the best basketball in the mountains the attendance was better. If this thing was in Laurel County and you had the big teams in the 13th, maybe invite one or two Pulaski County schools and then pull a couple from the 14th and 15th, you would have had a banger tournament and WYMT could stream the whole thing and it wouldn't put a dent in anything.

The 12th Region doesn't have reps because they aren't in the scholarship program, but I would go ahead and get some sponsors for scholarships and add the schools in the coverage area to the program. Hell, do that for the 16th and bring in teams like Ashland and host in the 15th every so often.

I know this is doing things differently than what has been done in the past and some people may not like it, but this used to be one of my favorite weeks of the year, and this year we have 4 teams from the 14th in a dry spell for the region and arguably the best teams from the 13th and 15th aren't there.