Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Reagan Quotes
thecavemaster Wrote:This is an actual Regan request...until told that "Born in the USA" is a type of protest song. Good ol' RR...always on top of things. ` Affable guy, even likeable... pulling the rug from underneath organized labor, defying Congress and pretending amnesia... He was a good actor, which is what one must be to fool a naive and foolish and uniformed public who thinks freedom means going to the mall and buying boats and attending churches to learn about a Person who was a revolutionary and honored the poor with promises of blessing.

Please tell me you're not talking about the FAA with your 'organized labor' fiction. President Reagan was and still is the only president we've ever had to be president of a union, and not just once.

President Reagan, didn't request the song for his theme. He only said that Bruce was someone who followed his dreams and expressed hope in his songs. Bruce replied that Reagan must not have listened to his other songs. (Johnny 99 to be one of them). Many people confuse George Will's support for the song, and his low level connection to the campaign.

And it was 'no surrender' that Kerry used, for those who care.
Crossbones Wrote:I do not consider myself naive or foolish but well informed of the Word of God. I will pray for you.

"The prayer of a righteous man accomplish much..." Wink
Oh, the entire "Time for Choosing Speech" he made at Goldwaters request in 1964 deserves to be considered as one of the greatest speeches of all time. Although not nearly enough to get him passed LBJ who was still riding the Kennedy assassination wave of sympathy.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Oh, the entire "Time for Choosing Speech" he made at Goldwaters request in 1964 deserves to be considered as one of the greatest speeches of all time. Although not nearly enough to get him passed LBJ who was still riding the Kennedy assassination wave of sympathy.
Since you bring up Goldwater and Reagan, would you care to elaborate on their juxtaposing views on Religion and its influence over the State?
DevilsWin Wrote:Since you bring up Goldwater and Reagan, would you care to elaborate on their juxtaposing views on Religion and its influence over the State?

They differ on this issue. Goldwater became more libertarian as time went on. Reagan was a libertarian, and became a little more of a republican as time went on.

Whats your point?:confused:
My point is that Reagan and Goldwater we're not, as some have suggested one in the same.
It's "the Godfather of Conservatism" who said :

"I am a conservative Republican, but I believe in democracy and the separation of church and state. The conservative movement is founded on the simple tenet that people have the right to live life as they please as long as they don't hurt anyone else in the process." (in a 1994 Washington Post essay)
"The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others,"
"I don't have any respect for the Religious Right."
"Every good Christian should line up and kick Jerry Falwell's ***."
"A woman has a right to an abortion."

Here is the link:
http://www.liberalslikechrist.org/about/goldwater.html

I first heard of this rift between Goldwater and Reagan last year while watching the HBO Films Documentary, "Goldwater on Goldwater: Mr Conservative". Which was produced by the daughter of Barry Goldwater.
Address on behalf of Senator Barry Goldwater
Rendezvous with Destiny
October 27, 1964

This speech is a verbatim transcript of "The Speech" given as a portion of a pre-recorded, nationwide televised program sponsored by Goldwater-Miller on behalf of Barry Goldwater, Republican candidate for the presidency whom Ronald Reagan actively supported.
4,626 words

This is perhaps the most famous of all Reagan speeches.

Click the link below for the full speech which was essentially the birth of the Neoconservative movement. Goldwater reluctantly gave Reagan his blessing to deliver this address.

http://www.reaganfoundation.org/reagan/s...ezvous.asp
DevilsWin Wrote:My point is that Reagan and Goldwater we're not, as some have suggested one in the same.

Reagan was more of a libertarian than any republican president we've ever had. He just caved to pressure, and then embraced the religious right and the votes that came along with it. Read his OWN words. His OWN beliefs. Read, Dutch. Or his letters in the book, "Reagan: A life in letters".

You act like someone is claiming the two to be seperated at birth. I agree. But they were definately 2 of a kind. Their strong foreign policies, their fiscal prioroties, etc. Goldwater himself never really became a true libertarian until the late 70's. Reagan never became a true 'conservative' until his presidency.

Thanks for your commentary though.
What's my cut?"
Iran-Contra.

Just foolin.....I know that there is no proof he said this....Wink
The Guru Wrote:What's my cut?"
Iran-Contra.

Just foolin.....I know that there is no proof he said this....Wink

:lmao:

good one.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Didn't the clintons make that one famous though? by using it over 250 times during the WhiteWater investigation?

I used to have the list of the 'i don't remembers and don't recalls' when they were under oath... but it was like 4 or 5 hundred times they couldn't remember lol

I have an excuse, well so did they.. mine was medical, there's was psychological. Big Grin
Ronnie you know you love Bill. Neither of you can remember.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Ronnie you know you love Bill. Neither of you can remember.

Actually it was Clinton who spoke highly of me by saying, "Hillary (kankles) and I, will always remember President Ronald Reagan, for the way he personafied the indomnitable optimism of the American people, for keeping our country at the forefront for the fight for freedom for people everywhere.. it is fitting the a piece of the berlin wall adorns the Ronald Reagan building in Washington..."

Now the only time I recall (and I have trouble with that from time to time), speaking about Clinton was when I made it clear... "Gov., I knew Thomas Jefferson... Thomas Jefferson was a friend of mine... and you're NO Thomas Jefferson..." and then I also mentioned you later in the speech... by telling Americans to follow your lead, and not to inhale --- > the smoke of rhetoric which spews from your side. :moon:
Is it true that Ronald Reagan was bisexual?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Is it true that Ronald Reagan was bisexual?

Although I was an actor... I was NOT in your favorite movie. Brokeback Mountain. Big Grin
ronald_reagan Wrote:Although I was an actor... I was NOT in your favorite movie. Brokeback Mountain. Big Grin
No. But you were real close friends with Rock Hudson.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:No. But you were real close friends with Rock Hudson.
Real Close.......................:p
One of my favorite quotes from Reagan is

“Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born."
AshlandTcat06 Wrote:One of my favorite quotes from Reagan is

“Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born."

that is absolutely one of the best i've heard from him. I forgot to include it in my favorites...
Thanks!!! :thumpsup:
ronald_reagan Wrote:Reagan was more of a libertarian than any republican president we've ever had. He just caved to pressure, and then embraced the religious right and the votes that came along with it. Read his OWN words. His OWN beliefs. Read, Dutch. Or his letters in the book, "Reagan: A life in letters".

You act like someone is claiming the two to be seperated at birth. I agree. But they were definately 2 of a kind. Their strong foreign policies, their fiscal prioroties, etc. Goldwater himself never really became a true libertarian until the late 70's. Reagan never became a true 'conservative' until his presidency.

Thanks for your commentary though.
If he caved in to pressure then he was not really a true Libeterian. Thats the same as saying Carter was a right wing conservative who caved in to the pressure lol.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:If he caved in to pressure then he was not really a true Libeterian. Thats the same as saying Carter was a right wing conservative who caved in to the pressure lol.

Every president caves. I can't recall one that I didn't. Except maybe this one... and we'd be much better off, if he WOULD cave now then. Smile

Regardless, political philosophy is a belief system. Goldwater was a libertarian, but voted as a staunch conservative for years. Clinton was a moderate, but embraced liberal views from time to time. It doesnt' change who you are... It just shows how politics makes you pretend to be someone else from time to time, for the votes.