Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawsuit challenges Bush plan to sell 30 million acres of Alaska!
Last week the ever so environmentally friendly Bush administration decided to sell 30 million acres of prime polar bear habitat in alaska to oil and gas companies. The administration illegally delayed an endangered species act including the polar bear. These tactics are nothing new for this administration. Some natives of alaska, and conservationist have filed a lawsuit to stop this action.

Here is a full article on the story.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/...-2008.html
Sad Does this mean that more animals will lose their habitat?
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:Sad Does this mean that more animals will lose their habitat?

Yes, the species that would be most affected is the Polar bear. This land is prime area for the species.

There was an attempt to add the polar bear to the protected endangered species list, but the department of the interior said that didn't have enough info to make a decision, so they decide to sell 30 million acres of prime land for the species.
Polar Bears will be extinct for good in 10-20 years IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong though...
vundy33 Wrote:Polar Bears will be extinct for good in 10-20 years IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong though...

I hope youre wrong also, but by the way things are looking the polar bear will be lucky to survive the next 20-50 years.
Why would Bush do this if he invaded Iraq for oil? I'm sure there was enough oil over there for him. Even if there wasn't enough for more than one company, do you think Bush was trying to help all the oil companies?
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Or maybe he is trying to get a safe and constant supply of oil for the American people. If we can tap into those reserves, then hopefully we will be able to have better control of the world oil markets or at least not be stuck buying most of our oil from the OPEC nations. This is a way to increase the supply on the market (since OPEC won't), therefore, the price of oil will drop along with the price of gas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Poor polar bears!! They're so pretty!! I see no reason why they shouldn't be endangered. Especially now with this and global warming.
Beef Wrote:Or maybe he is trying to get a safe and constant supply of oil for the American people. If we can tap into those reserves, then hopefully we will be able to have better control of the world oil markets or at least not be stuck buying most of our oil from the OPEC nations. This is a way to increase the supply on the market (since OPEC won't), therefore, the price of oil will drop along with the price of gas.

Of course this is about getting oil, and thats not what bothers me, what bothers me is the way they went about selling the land. They didn't even give a thought to what effects this would have to the environment and the species who live there, they even dodge their way around an endangered species act.