Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedway Motorsports Inc buying Kentucky Speedway
This will be HUGE for Kentucky Speedway..SMI owns seven tracks, and them buying Kentucky Speedway could very well mean getting a Sprint Cup race there!
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup...id=3407605
TidesHoss32 Wrote:This will be HUGE for Kentucky Speedway..SMI owns seven tracks, and them buying Kentucky Speedway could very well mean getting a Sprint Cup race there!
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup...id=3407605
I wonder which SMI track will lose a date then? Atlanta looks like the only one I could see because them and Charlotte are the only 2 SMI tracks that dont sell out every year. Bristol, Sears Point, Texas, Loudon , and Vegas all sell out every race. I dont see Charlotte losing a race so that only leaves AMS. As much as Id like to see Kentucky get a Cup race I dont want it to be at the expense of a traditional southern race track where so much history is even if it is to another Southern track.
I'd love to see Sears Point or Vegas lose a race..Vegas seriously puts me to sleep every time I watch it. That and California are the two worst races on the schedule IMO..
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I wonder which SMI track will lose a date then? Atlanta looks like the only one I could see because them and Charlotte are the only 2 SMI tracks that dont sell out every year. Bristol, Sears Point, Texas, Loudon , and Vegas all sell out every race. I dont see Charlotte losing a race so that only leaves AMS. As much as Id like to see Kentucky get a Cup race I dont want it to be at the expense of a traditional southern race track where so much history is even if it is to another Southern track.
New Hampshire is a likely candidate IMO....

I find it very very very unlikely Atlanta loses a date... huge market, traditional track, great racetrack, probably wont happen....

I worry about Pocono... I know most people dont like it... but I really like that racetrack...
FreakNasty Wrote:New Hampshire is a likely candidate IMO....

I find it very very very unlikely Atlanta loses a date... huge market, traditional track, great racetrack, probably wont happen....

I worry about Pocono... I know most people dont like it... but I really like that racetrack...
I heard that New Hamp will be the one.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I'd love to see Sears Point or Vegas lose a race..Vegas seriously puts me to sleep every time I watch it. That and California are the two worst races on the schedule IMO..
I couldnt agree more but boring or not they have a full house every time the green drops. From a buisness standpoint thats all the brass cares about. If I had to pick one it would be Loudon. I never forgave Bob Bahre and Bruton Smith for shutting down Wilkesboro to give Texas a date and Loudon a second date. IMO If Bruton took a date away from Loudon and gave it back to a southern track like Kentucky he wouldve redeemed himself in my eyes. I think the power brokers in NASCAR are finally seeing that while this is a national sport. The heart of it will always be the states south of the Ohio river and east of the Mississippi river. Now if we can just get the Darlington race back to Labor Day weekend where it belongs........
I think Loudon would be the obvious choice here!
Las Vegas only has one race to begin with, so it's obvious they won't lose a race. Rumor has it that Smith is looking at buying another race track, but didn't name which one it would be. So either New Hampshire or a new track purchased will lose a race to make room for Kentucky.
:thumpsup: Awesome post, and I absolutely agree 150% with every single thing you said..Texas is another boring race..I think Kentucky will make for one of the most exciting Cup races on the circuit. The drivers love it, and if we can put 75-80,000 in the seats at a Busch (I know, its Nationwide, but it will always be Busch to me, lol) race, then they could build bleachers to the sky and still fill it. NASCAR has gotten so far away from its roots of not only the early days, but of 15 to 20 years ago, its not funny. They could attempt to right the ship a little by giving Kentucky a race..I miss the Wilkesboros and the Rockinghams..
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I couldnt agree more but boring or not they have a full house every time the green drops. From a buisness standpoint thats all the brass cares about. If I had to pick one it would be Loudon. I never forgave Bob Bahre and Bruton Smith for shutting down Wilkesboro to give Texas a date and Loudon a second date. IMO If Bruton took a date away from Loudon and gave it back to a southern track like Kentucky he wouldve redeemed himself in my eyes. I think the power brokers in NASCAR are finally seeing that while this is a national sport. The heart of it will always be the states south of the Ohio river and east of the Mississippi river. Now if we can just get the Darlington race back to Labor Day weekend where it belongs........
yeah, I'd say your right..
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I think Loudon would be the obvious choice here!
I wouldn't mind seeing 36 races at Darlington. Darlington is the most exciting track on the circuit.
And on another note, Darlington has the best Pre-Race that I have ever been too!
BCF4L Wrote:... Rumor has it that Smith is looking at buying another race track, but didn't name which one it would be. //

That would be Pocono.