Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Colin Powell Endorses Obama
(CNN) -- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says he is voting for Barack Obama.

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Powell said he has some concerns about the direction of the Republican Party, adding that it has "moved more to the right than I would like to see it."

Read more:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/c...index.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thats a joke.
RavenBoy Wrote:thats a joke.
Only because its further proof that the people you support are a ship of fools.
not bein racist but he is only votin for him cuz he is black
catsfan08 Wrote:not bein racist but he is only votin for him cuz he is black
You know that how? Stupid statement.Smile

While this statement may hold true for a lot of people in this upcoming election, on both sides (White and Black); I certainly think Colin Powell is intelligent enough to vote based on substance and not skin color.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"He only votes McCain because he can't raise his arms over his head." How offensive would that be? It is amazing how we are blind to perspectives outside of our own.
Black man supporting a black man, not very surprising. Powell didn't even say he agrees with Obama's ideas. He doesn't, you know why? He's a conservative retired military General. I still have great respect for Powell and don't blame him for supporting Obama.
I find it refreshing that someone as well-respected as Colin Powell isn't afraid to "step across the aisle" and support a candidate from another party. If that's who he believes is the best person for the job, good for him for being willing to take a public stand.

If only everyone was so open-minded...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beetle01 Wrote:Black man supporting a black man, not very surprising. Powell didn't even say he agrees with Obama's ideas. He doesn't, you know why? He's a conservative retired military General. I still have great respect for Powell and don't blame him for supporting Obama.

Is it as "not suprising" as a white man voting for a white man?

Everyone seriously needs to watch the racial tones in this thread.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Is it as "not suprising" as a white man voting for a white man?

Everyone seriously needs to watch the racial tones in this thread.

How come it is such a big deal that Powell endorsed Obama? I don't remember anything on the news about the other 300 Generals or 4 other SoS's who endorsed McCain.
Beetle01 Wrote:How come it is such a big deal that Powell endorsed Obama? I don't remember anything on the news about the other 300 Generals or 4 other SoS's who endorsed McCain.

For one, it gives the 24 hour news cycle something to talk about. Also, Colin Powell was Secretary of State and is still one of the more respected leaders in America, and he served under a Republican administration and is a Republican.
thecavemaster Wrote:For one, it gives the 24 hour news cycle something to talk about. Also, Colin Powell was Secretary of State and is still one of the more respected leaders in America, and he served under a Republican administration and is a Republican.

What about Dems that support McCain?
Beetle01 Wrote:How come it is such a big deal that Powell endorsed Obama? I don't remember anything on the news about the other 300 Generals or 4 other SoS's who endorsed McCain.
That's like comparing the 1988 Dallas Mavericks to Michael Jordan.

Powell is very well-respected, even considered running for President a few years back. I remember several conversations where everyone said, "Yeah, if Colin Powell runs for Pres. I'll vote for him.

If Powell had run for Pres. he would have won overwhelmingly. Now that Powell has endorsed Obama, the Repubs. are trying to downplay him and poo-poo him away, which is sad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This only proves how badly we need change, when a former Bush cabinet member openly endorses Obama, and I hope that this will help Obama win the election in the days to come because we all know that whoever wins this election will have a great burden thrown upon them, and I really don't think McCain or Palin can take it.