Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia threatens USA and Obama
Well this didn't take long.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...fer=europe
Beetle01 Wrote:Well this didn't take long.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...fer=europe

Like I said, I'm moving!!Sad
Money Maker Wrote:Like I said, I'm moving!!Sad

See ya later.

Where you moving to? Russia?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:See ya later.

How'd you know. Dang, I'm telling ya, YOUR GOOD!!!! Big Grin
If the United States places a weapons system in Europe that Russia feels is a threat to their national security, and in response, they offer a counter weapons program or initiative, explain without demonstrating nationalistic bias what the difference is.
While this is not particularly surprising, however I thought they would at least wait closer to Obama's inauguration.
Looks like you ppl. should actually READ what you're supposedly complaining about b4 you post it.

"...Obama has shown less support for the system than President George W. Bush, Rahr said. "

Um...this isn't something Obama came up with in the past month or so... it's Bush's baby.

``It would be easier to work with people with a modern outlook [meaning Obama], rather than those whose eyes are turned back to the past,'' [meaning Bush].

THREE CHEERS to Russia for being the first country to step up and help us (US) CHANGE.
VHSL-helper Wrote:Looks like you ppl. should actually READ what you're supposedly complaining about b4 you post it.

"...Obama has shown less support for the system than President George W. Bush, Rahr said. "

Um...this isn't something Obama came up with in the past month or so... it's Bush's baby.

``It would be easier to work with people with a modern outlook [meaning Obama], rather than those whose eyes are turned back to the past,'' [meaning Bush].

THREE CHEERS to Russia for being the first country to step up and help us (US) CHANGE.

What change? Oh the change of allowing the Russians to maintain their threat of missle attacks on Europe? By all means we shouldn't do anything about that. Heck lets give them more nukes while we are at it, maybe they will feel more comfortable then
Beetle01 Wrote:What change? Oh the change of allowing the Russians to maintain their threat of missle attacks on Europe? By all means we shouldn't do anything about that. Heck lets give them more nukes while we are at it, maybe they will feel more comfortable then

What should the Russians do about our placing new weapons systems in places that they feel threatens their national security? Should they say, "Oh, that's America, land of the cool and the free. Go ahead, guys, do whatever you want. You're so trustworthy and never use your military but in sweet and gentle and virtuous ways."?
thecavemaster Wrote:What should the Russians do about our placing new weapons systems in places that they feel threatens their national security? Should they say, "Oh, that's America, land of the cool and the free. Go ahead, guys, do whatever you want. You're so trustworthy and never use your military but in sweet and gentle and virtuous ways."?

They aren't offensive weapons systems. They are strictly defensive missile shields. To prevent attack, prevent a rogue launch, or mulitiple other scenarios. They have no offensive capabilities.

You should be asking not why are we helping Western Europe install this shield, they have a right to be prepared defensively for any scenario, but why are the Russians so adimant it isn't put in that they are willing to threaten the countries that have them put in, along with the US.
Beetle01 Wrote:They aren't offensive weapons systems. They are strictly defensive missile shields. To prevent attack, prevent a rogue launch, or mulitiple other scenarios. They have no offensive capabilities.

You should be asking not why are we helping Western Europe install this shield, they have a right to be prepared defensively for any scenario, but why are the Russians so adimant it isn't put in that they are willing to threaten the countries that have them put in, along with the US.

This ... so called ... shield ... it's... like.... bullet-proof stuff, like Obama had around the stage in Chicago, right? Or, like, panty shields, that just sit there and look pretty but don't do anything until needed, right?

Since the Bloomburg article doesn't explain this, can someone produce one that does give details of what this shield will be made of?
Beetle01 Wrote:They aren't offensive weapons systems. They are strictly defensive missile shields. To prevent attack, prevent a rogue launch, or mulitiple other scenarios. They have no offensive capabilities.

There is no such thing as a defensive weapons system. If I prevent you from being able to attack me, that is offense. You must devise an alternate scheme to "balance the scales." You know that.
Russia is just taking precautions to defend itself, just like we are. It CAN be used as an "offensive" weapon as you like to call them, Beetle. It can be deployed to kill enemy defense systems, kill fixed wing aircraft, kill enemy artillery and it can also be fired on enemy positions, if I'm not mistaken. I would google it if I wasn't using dial-up. It requires no human to fire it BTW. Our anti-missile systems are substantially better.
I got 2 words for ya .... Dr. Strangelove!

I got 7 words for ya ... Would You Like To Play A Game?
(Global Thermonuclear War, maybe?)
We would win it. If there could possibly even be a winner...
VHSL-helper Wrote:I got 7 words for ya ... Would You Like To Play A Game?
(Global Thermonuclear War, maybe?)

I absolutely love that movie. It was just on AMC the other day.
WOw the fact that some of you are taking the Russians side in this is unbelievable. We along with every other country, including Russia, have the right to install DEFENSIVE systems. Which respond to missile attacks, or some other type of attacks. These systems are not capable of launching offensive weapons as they are only accurate against airborne systems, so if you tried to hit Moscow with it, your just as likely to hit Berlin. There is an idea to install a prototype that will launch a missile at the airborne projectile, and also launch a missile at the site of the launch. However, this can not be done with the radar, as by the time radar picks up the missile it is too late to launch a retaliatory strike. Atleast until the satellite's are operational.

The following link is the best article I could find about it. Its the same system, it just talks about it being installed for defense of the US.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/missile-defense.htm
I am not necessarily taking Russia's "side." I am suggesting that using the term "defensive" in reference to weapons systems is misleading, as every weapon is designed to "upper hand" the enemy in some way. If my missiles can't hit strategic targets because of your defense systems, that's an offense.
thecavemaster Wrote:I am not necessarily taking Russia's "side." I am suggesting that using the term "defensive" in reference to weapons systems is misleading, as every weapon is designed to "upper hand" the enemy in some way. If my missiles can't hit strategic targets because of your defense systems, that's an offense.

So your saying we shouldn't defend ourselves from missile attacks?
Heck lets send our soldies into battle without body armor, or lets not put armor on our vehicles, because that's designed to upper hand enemy bullets.
Beetle01 Wrote:So your saying we shouldn't defend ourselves from missile attacks?
Heck lets send our soldies into battle without body armor, or lets not put armor on our vehicles, because that's designed to upper hand enemy bullets.

I am not saying anything like what you've created above. I am saying that, as Americans, we look at our weapons systems deployments as legitimate, as non-threatening (defensive). However, your perspective depends upon which shore you're standing on a lot of the time. I am saying nothing about the need for maximum armament.
They're doing this to check us for putting a missile system in Europe, and besides, why should we protect Europe? I'm pretty sure they can protect themselves, because what is freedom when you're not willing to fight for it? Nothing, that's what.
[quote=guyfawkes]They're doing this to check us for putting a missile system in Europe, and besides, why should we protect Europe? I'm pretty sure they can protect themselves, because what is freedom when you're not willing to fight for it? Nothing, that's what.[/QUOTE

They are protecting themselves, that's why they have bought this missile defense system from us. We are pushing it because we want to get it installed so that we can improve our defensive capabilities in the future.

Lets face it intoday's world, we have more than just Russia launching an attack. You have the possibility of terrorists getting their hands on one. Russians don't have all their missiles in silo's. Most of them are on mobile launchers, what's to stop some whack job terrorist group from high jacking one of those things and launching an attack. Or possibly a misfire, or a rogue launch. Or even some form of hacker, taking over an installation.

We should be working even harder to defend ourselves and our allies from weapons capable of killing millions of people in an instant. Of course most of you don't feel threatened by these weapons, so you could care less. The only thing worse than putting our nose in everyone's business, is just sitting back and doing nothing. WW2 showed us that we need to play an active part in world security. Maybe we have over stepped sometimes, but overall I think the world needs and wants un involved. As we should be.

The Russians are mad because with this shield up they will no longer have the threat of nuclear attack on Western Europe so that they can force their will on those countries. Noone is scared of conventional Russian forces anymore, and they know they are weak in that department. They like to use their nuclear power to impose their will, and this eliminates that, and they hate it.
ComfortEagle Wrote:See ya later.

And if you are moving to Russia, Im sure Sarah Palin could see you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]