Poll: Who's the best
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aerosmith
53.57%
Led Zeppelin
46.43%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best 80's rock band: Week 2
In recognition of the terrible job that the BCS has done in crowning a true national champion, I thought I would take a stab at creating an 8 team (band) tournament, ran over the next 6 weeks to crown the best 80's band.

In week 2 we have two super powers of Rock Aerosmith & Led Zeppelin. Who do you take?

Aerosmith is an American hard rock band, sometimes referred to as "The Bad Boys from Boston"[2] and "America's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".[3][4][5][6] Their style, rooted in blues-based hard rock,[1][7] has come to also incorporate elements of pop,[8] heavy metal,[1] glam,[9] and rhythm and blues,[10] which has inspired many subsequent rock artists.

1975: "Sweet Emotion", #36
1976: "Dream On", #6
1976: "Last Child", #21
1977: "Walk This Way", #10
1977: "Back in the Saddle", #38
1978: "Come Together", #23
1987: "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)", #14
1988: "Angel", #3
1988: "Rag Doll", #17
1989: "Love in an Elevator", #5
1990: "Janie's Got a Gun", #4
1990: "What it Takes", #9
1990: "The Other Side", #22
1993: "Livin' on the Edge", #18
1993: "Cryin'", #12
1994: "Amazing", #24
1994: "Crazy", #17
1997: "Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)", #35
1998: "Pink", #27
1998: "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", #1
2001: "Jaded

Led Zeppelin, an English rock band formed in 1968 by Jimmy Page (guitar), Robert Plant (vocals), John Paul Jones (bass guitar, keyboards) and John Bonham (drums). With their heavy, guitar-driven sound, Led Zeppelin are regarded as one of the first heavy metal bands.[1][2] However, the band's individualistic style draws from many sources and transcends any one genre

"Communication Breakdown" (Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham) – 2:28, (1969)
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (Page, Robert Plant) – 6:41, (1969)
"Good Times Bad Times" (Page, Jones, Bonham) – 2:43, (1969)
"Dazed and Confused" (Page) – 6:26, (1969)
"Whole Lotta Love" (Page, Plant, Jones, Bonham) – 5:34, (1969)
"Heartbreaker" (Page, Plant, Jones, Bonham) – 4:14, (1969)
"Ramble On" (Page, Plant) – 4:24, (1969)
"Immigrant Song" (Page, Plant) – 2:23, (1970)
"Celebration Day" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 3:28, (1970)
"Since I've Been Loving You" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 7:24, (1970)
"Black Dog" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 4:54, (1971)
"Rock and Roll" (Page, Plant, Jones, Bonham) – 3:40, (1971)
"The Battle of Evermore" (Page, Plant) – 5:51, (1971)
"Misty Mountain Hop" (Page, Plant, Jones) – 4:39, (1971)
"Stairway to Heaven" (Page, Plant) – 8:01, (1971
I voted Aerosmith because of the thread title. Look at the dates you listed for the groups you listed. Zeppelin was a 70's band.
I agree with Tom Selleck there. Zeppelin was a 70s band.
Guns & Roses should trump both.
Aerosmith!!
I agree. Zeppelin was 70s.
Aerosmith
Who is the idiot putting these together? Led Zeppelin was HUGE in the 70's and had maybe 1 album released in 1980.

Aerosmith was a 70's band also. Unless you count "Walk This Way", "Love in an Elevator' and "Dude looks like a lady" All of which sucked!

Aerosmith quit being a Rock Band in 1987!
DevilsWin Wrote:Who is the idiot putting these together?

Pure class, as usual.Rolleyes

Keep 'em coming, stardust...don't let a couple of bad eggs ruin it for everyone...
You guys w/ a few exceptions, know nothing about Rock and Roll!
jetpilot Wrote:Pure class, as usual.Rolleyes

Keep 'em coming, stardust...don't let a couple of bad eggs ruin it for everyone...

:lmao: I have no hurt feelings Big Grin

jetpilot, there's enough of us who obviously are enjoying it to keep it going

If others don't like the polls, then please start your own, or don't come to ours :howdy:
jetpilot Wrote:Pure class, as usual.Rolleyes

LOL Have fun at the "Wham!" concert!:p
I will agree that with the general consensus that Zeppelin was a 70's band, however, between the two, I choose Zeppelin.

Also, what's the deal with criticizing the OP? There's no need to call anyone an idiot. This is a thread created for fun in the Gen. Discussion forum, relax and enjoy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote::lmao: I have no hurt feelings Big Grin

jetpilot, there's enough of us who obviously are enjoying it to keep it going

If others don't like the polls, then please start your own, or don't come to ours :howdy:

:thumpsup: Both bands were extremely popular in more than one decade, which defines great bands. I really enjoy the thread. Again, too close to call, which means stardust knows his stuff. I will go with Zeppelin early and Aerosmith late. Week one and two are too close to call. Good job stardust!:Clap: Looking forward to week 3.
Zeppelin had broken up by the 80's because their drummer died but I picked them nonetheless because they are one of the most influential bands in rock history, and I do like Aerosmith, they just can't hold a light to Plant and Page.
DevilsWin Wrote:LOL Have fun at the "Wham!" concert!:p

DevilsWin Wrote:You guys w/ a few exceptions, know nothing about Rock and Roll!

WOW Did you take to many of your know-it-all pills this morning?WinkSmile
blitz43 Wrote:Guns & Roses should trump both.
GNR put out one GREAT album and 2 decent ones. No way they will ever have the impact on music that Zeppelin or Aerosmith have had.
Aerosmith was great no doubt but I gotta go with Zeppelin. Every band that came after them (Aerosmith included) tried to sound like they did. Aerosmith was actually regarded in their early years as "The American Led Zeppelin". And Im gonna go on record and say: JOHN BONHAM IS THE GREATEST DRUMMER WHO EVER LIVED!!!!!!Big Grinrums02:
DevilsWin Wrote:Who is the idiot putting these together? Led Zeppelin was HUGE in the 70's and had maybe 1 album released in 1980.

Aerosmith was a 70's band also. Unless you count "Walk This Way", "Love in an Elevator' and "Dude looks like a lady" All of which sucked!

Aerosmith quit being a Rock Band in 1987!

You are so very right. 80s "Rock Bands" were so.......what am I looking for here?........widely versatile? What I mean is, you had so many different "Rock Bands" with so many different sound in the 80s. Such as:

U2 - Motley Crue
The Police - G'n'R's
Bruce Springsteen - Def Leppard
Bon Jovi - AC/DC
Journey - Metallica
REO Speedwagon - Ozzy
Tom Petty, ZZ Top, Poison, Scorpions, Heart, Foreigner, Ratt and who can forget.......Van Halen.

The 80s would be a hard time to choose a best "Rock Band" from. But, If it were me I would have to go with the ones who are still around and kicking out great music. Which would be......well...quite a few of those that I just listed above...lol.
Led for the head!
Midee1 Wrote:WOW Did you take to many of your know-it-all pills this morning?WinkSmile
:oSorry.
I would listen to Aerosmith over Led Zep so they have my vote.

Aerosmith
Aerosmith edges out Zeppelin
Between the choices - Aerosmith!