Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to know...
I would like to know what makes people feel the need to get on a chat site, like this one, topix, or a host of others, and bash someone else with made up statements or comments? I am curious because I hear/see comments about people that I know that have no basis in fact but they are being put out on the internet for many other people to see and form an opinion on. Making a statement and baking it up with facts are one thing, but just general comments about people (mostly kids) that can mess with their self-estem is another.

I like a good, clean discussion as much as the next person, but negative, hurtful comments, I just don't understand. How do you guys feel about this? Is it just a new "fad" or is this something that the kids of today just have to deal with? Do you guys think that we will see violence/tragedy related to what is being said on internet web-sites?
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I like a good, clean discussion as much as the next person, but negative, hurtful comments, I just don't understand. How do you guys feel about this? Is it just a new "fad" or is this something that the kids of today just have to deal with? Do you guys think that we will see violence/tragedy related to what is being said on internet web-sites?

I really don't know why people feed into sites like Topix. It can be helpful on some topics but posting names only gets people to say negative things about them, even if that wasn't the intention of the thread. I think that stuff like that is pretty silly and people leave some very hurtful comments. A lot of times I would bet that the person makes stuff up, doesn't even know the person, and just tries to do things to cause problems. I think it is a new fad like you said, with Topix definitely leading the charge. Anything where you can be completely anonymous and change names everytime you log in can only make it easier for people to hide behind a screen. And yes, I definitely think that we will see bad things come from what is being said online. There have already been causes of teenagers committing suicide over Internet harassment and Myspace. Topix is worse than an instant messenger or Myspace either one. I imagine that things could be said that could lead to a lot of people between two people, a person to themselves, etc. Anyone can get on that site and pose as anyone else so that can't be a positive thing.
Topix is a site that I myself HATE.... it is a gossip filled site that allows anything to be placed on there. I prefer to visit sites that are moderated, such as this one, where you can ALWAYS get in touch with a staff member if you have a problem. I believe nothing I "hear" is placed on topix and IMHO, it's not even worth visiting!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I would like to know what makes people feel the need to get on a chat site, like this one, topix, or a host of others, and bash someone else with made up statements or comments? I am curious because I hear/see comments about people that I know that have no basis in fact but they are being put out on the internet for many other people to see and form an opinion on. Making a statement and baking it up with facts are one thing, but just general comments about people (mostly kids) that can mess with their self-estem is another.

I like a good, clean discussion as much as the next person, but negative, hurtful comments, I just don't understand. How do you guys feel about this? Is it just a new "fad" or is this something that the kids of today just have to deal with? Do you guys think that we will see violence/tragedy related to what is being said on internet web-sites?
Amen. I think a kid with low self- esteem might be pushed over the edge if they read these negative statements. That's what I love about this site, You abuse it, your out.
phs1986 Wrote:Topix is a site that I myself HATE.... it is a gossip filled site that allows anything to be placed on there. I prefer to visit sites that are moderated, such as this one, where you can ALWAYS get in touch with a staff member if you have a problem. I believe nothing I hear is placed on topix and IMHO, it's not even worth visiting!!!
Amen again!!
I have zero experience with other forum sites. I was a member of BGP and switched to BGR. I love the debating, but bashing has not place in a public forum, yet is it done, even on this site at times.
I love this site, I can take what I dish out.
I love the fact that there are people with different opinons than mine. A lot of times i'm wrong but, sometimes these guys have information that i don't and it changes my mind. I like fighting with the guys who are Duke and Louisville fans and i treat them no worse then my closest friends and family who may like a team I don't. The only thing i would change about this site is to not allow posters to write (****) for curse words. I don't want to read it if I have to fill in the blanks with words I would never say. It's alright to disagree with someone but it's how you disagree with them that matters. The other sites that were mentioned on this post should be shut down. This is the only site I'll let my kid on. Keep up the good work guys, this is a great site.
bigjim4packers Wrote:I love this site, I can take what I dish out.
I love the fact that there are people with different opinons than mine. A lot of times i'm wrong but, sometimes these guys have information that i don't and it changes my mind. I like fighting with the guys who are Duke and Louisville fans and i treat them no worse then my closest friends and family who may like a team I don't. The only thing i would change about this site is to not allow posters to write (****) for curse words. I don't want to read it if I have to fill in the blanks with words I would never say. It's alright to disagree with someone but it's how you disagree with them that matters. The other sites that were mentioned on this post should be shut down. This is the only site I'll let my kid on. Keep up the good work guys, this is a great site.

:1: Great post
I was just curious to see what people would say. I mean if you get on that topix site and type in any city in EKY, you would see some of the most questionable posts/questions that I have ever seen!!
Topix is to Bluegrass Rivals as horse manure is to t-bone steak
Topix is a cesspool of rumor and hatred.
I have been on the topix site once, and was sickened by what I read It looks like a place for kids and adults to trash each others reputations with no consequences.
Many see it as a glorified way to gossip.
bigjim4packers Wrote:I love this site, I can take what I dish out.

Bigjim,

I know this is off topic but the members are not always typing asterisks to replace curse words. We have a word filter in place that automatically replaces and words that we deem inappropriate with the asterisks so that people don't have to actually see the word in type.
I think anyone that reads that Topix trash and takes is as the gospel is as ignorant as the idiot that posts it.
Midee1 Wrote:Bigjim,

I know this is off topic but the members are not always typing asterisks to replace curse words. We have a word filter in place that automatically replaces and words that we deem inappropriate with the asterisks so that people don't have to actually see the word in type.

Still don't see the need for any of it. I can get my point across without useing bad words and so can everybody else. Thanks for the filter but, we're all grown ups and we need to respect each other better than that. This has been a good post.
Topix is terrible. A lot of rumors and gossip is on there and it has caused a lot of embarrassing problems.

I do know that some of the kids start topics about themselves to get an opinion on themselves. Why? I have no idea.
bigjim4packers Wrote:Still don't see the need for any of it. I can get my point across without useing bad words and so can everybody else. Thanks for the filter but, we're all grown ups and we need to respect each other better than that. This has been a good post.

I do agree with that but as you know there are some that seem to not be able to. The word filter is in place for those people.
People that start threads about others on topix are nothing but gossip spreading, pathetic losers that want to make someone else's life as miserable as they possibly can. Its a shame, really, that sites like that can be allowed. I know some good and decent people that get bashed repeatedly on there, and its sad because there is nothing they can do. But its just a site where pathetic people can destroy someone elses life to make themselves feel better about their own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]