Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 43 Beechwood 13
Final.
Beechwood beaten like a drum again. Wow.....Noel Rash cant wait for Class A District play I bet.
CovCath has improved a lot since last season.

Congrats CCH!
OK, so the Campbell County loss to CCH does not look that bad now.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...309190031/

Improving CovCath wallops Beechwood
By Jason Williams • Enquirer contributor • September 19, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

With parents, fans and coaches’ wives standing on the periphery of a postgame team huddle at midfield on Saturday afternoon, first-year Covington Catholic football coach Dave Wirth told his players to keep their recent success in perspective.

“Do not think you have arrived,” Wirth said, minutes after CovCath had cruised to a 43-14 win over visiting Beechwood.

But Wirth’s message certainly could be translated as the rebuilding program gradually is “getting there.”

After opening the season 0-3, CovCath has won two straight games and shown signs of adjusting to its new coach’s system.

“You’re not going to ever get a 2-3 coach to say he’s happy where he’s at,” said Wirth, whose team is ranked No. 7 in the Enquirer coaches’ poll. “But I’m happy with the progress we’ve made recently. A lot of the questions we’d get before and after plays in practice earlier this season really aren’t there anymore.”

Perhaps no player exemplifies the Colonels’ overall progress more than senior quarterback Brayden Erpenbeck, who rushed for three touchdowns and passed for another score Saturday. In his first season as the full-time starting quarterback, Erpenbeck ran the offense quite efficiently against No. 10 Beechwood, completing 17 of 20 passes for 163 yards and an interception. He also rushed for 102 yards on 11 carries.

“At the beginning of the season, I wasn’t confident in myself,” Erpenbeck said. “I didn’t feel like we could put a drive together. But now I just feel like we’re going to score every series. Everyone’s clicking.”
Beechwood 0 0 14 0 – 14
CovCath 9 13 7 14 – 43

CC – Safety
CC – Erpenbeck 11 run (Talkers kick)
CC – Erpenbeck 3 run (Talkers kick)
CC – Connelly 21 pass from Erpenbeck (conversion failed)
CC – Schaefer 6 run (Talkers kick)
B – J. Colosimo 13 run (Nussbaum kick)
B – Smith 8 pass from Rigdon (Nussbaum kick)
CC – Erpenbeck 40 run (Talkers kick)
CC – Slabaugh 5 run (Talkers kick)

Records: B 1-3, CC 2-3
NKY.com
I figured Covcath size would be too much for the Beechies, but didn't think they'd beat Beechwood this bad. Congrats to the Colonels.
CovCath has improved each week. Keep it going Colonels
qryche11 Wrote:Beechwood beaten like a drum again. Wow.....Noel Rash cant wait for Class A District play I bet.

I agree. Keep in mind that Beechwood has played up against some good competition. They've lost against some very tough 5A teams and they BARELY best Holy Cross. Here's the rest of thier schedule:

Sep 25, 09 Dayton home 7:30 PM
Oct 3, 09 Walton-Verona away 1:00 PM
Oct 9, 09 Ludlow home 7:30 PM
Oct 16, 09 Bishop Brossart away 7:00 PM
Oct 23, 09 Bellevue away 7:00 PM
Oct 30, 09 Newport Central Catholic home 7:30

These won't gimmies, but they should win every game until the last two games.
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:I agree. Keep in mind that Beechwood has played up against some good competition. They've lost against some very tough 5A teams and they BARELY best Holy Cross. Here's the rest of thier schedule:

Beechwood will win their next 5 games and their final game against Newcath is a toss up IMO. I personally think they finish the regular season 7-3.
Give Beechwood credit they have played a tough schedule but they will be fine one the district play starts and when the playoffs begin.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Beechwood will win their next 5 games and their final game against Newcath is a toss up IMO. I personally think they finish the regular season 7-3.

I agree 100%. Their next five games are gimmies. I beleive the NCC game will be the only challenge they have on their schedule until the playoffs.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:CovCath has improved a lot since last season.

Congrats CCH!

OK, alot of people are starting to jump on the band wagon with cov cath, but my question is how do they do in district play? Do they get by Dixie? Do the get by Highlands?
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:I agree. Keep in mind that Beechwood has played up against some good competition. They've lost against some very tough 5A teams and they BARELY best Holy Cross. Here's the rest of thier schedule:

That Bellevue game is going to be tough for Beechwood. Bellevue lost 11 seniors last year but return i believe 17 and 3 of those were the offense for Bellevue last year.
sstack Wrote:OK, alot of people are starting to jump on the band wagon with cov cath, but my question is how do they do in district play? Do they get by Dixie? Do the get by Highlands?

IMO Covcath will get by Dixie but lose big to Highlands.