Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer patterns
Has anyone noticed a decrease in deer this year compared to last year? I have 2 cameras and been moving them every 5 days or so between 3 different farms and have only gotten pics of 2 bucks. 1 around 110 and the other a small 6. By this time last year I had pics of at least 15 different bucks.
Interesting, I just mentioned to my wife that the number of deer that we see from the road seems way down. Now I'm not looking at this from a hunting perspective, but your comment did trigger my thought in general.
The method of checking in game via telecheck is a joke, but if only 50% of hunters check in game that still wouldn't put the herd down like i've noticed here in the county.
Hotshot Wrote:The method of checking in game via telecheck is a joke, but if only 50% of hunters check in game that still wouldn't put the herd down like i've noticed here in the county.

I agree with the first part about telecheck
I believe the "Blue Tongue" disease from a couple of years ago wiped out a lot of the deer herd in eastern Kentucky. Pike County, Knott County, Floyd County, Martin County, Magoffin County, Breathitt County, Johnson County, a few other counties, and surrounding areas were greatly hurt by the disease. Not many people know about this disease. If you spent a lot of time in the field a couple of years ago, you probably seen some dead deer bodies. This was the summer when the drought hit the EKY area and water levels were drastically low. Creeks were dried up and the only water source the deer had was stagnant water. If I'm not mistaken, flies laid their eggs in this stagnant water that the deer drank of. The water with these fly eggs in it was contaminated with this "disease".

I also heard there was some kind of fly, bug, or parasite that bit the deer that gave them this disease. The term "Blue Tongue" literally comes from the deer's tongue that turns blue. If I'm not mistaken, the disease takes over the deers main organs and shuts them down within 48 hours. The eyes swell up and the tongue of the deer turns blue. It's a wild and crazy disease. I witnessed a few deer bodies that had passed on from suffering this disease.

I think we are still seeing the results of that disease from two years ago.
You all have your opinion and I have mine...2 years ago when the blue tounge first hit yes the deer sighting went down drimatically but I still saw a hand full of bucks over 130 inches. Last year since I have been hunting which is 10 years, I saw more deer last year then I have in my entire life. Used to be when you saw a doe during rut, you couldn't guareente a buck behind her. For every buck I saw I say I saw 5-7 doe's. Last year for every buck I saw I say I saw 2-4 doe's, WHICH is a good thing and I will tell you why. THIS EVEN OUT THE BUCK DOE RATIO. Last year I saw close to 20 bucks over 120 inches and had more action between the bucks then ever. The RATIO has even out that the Bucks are on the move more often, cruising looking for doe's. I had more bucks respond to my grunt call then ever. One mourning I had 5 bucks over 120 inches in under 2 hours come to my grunt call. That was one of the craisiest things that I had ever saw...but some people are not as lucky as me. I hunt a place that no one else can bother the deer. No people riding around. The deer are never bothered, that is one reason we see so much...we have the only way in to ourselves. On our trail camera this year in 11 days we got over 1600 pics and after 16 days the camera was full. 3 bucks over 140 on it but none was coming in during hunting hours. This is just my opinion but I think the hunting is bright for KY for the next couple of years. Last year more big bucks was killed in Ky...not as many bucks total but more mature bucks was...all you have to do is look at these forums for dees hunting.
^ You must have a prime hunting area my friend. The deer sightings were even decreased even further than two years ago last season. I saw and knew of only a hand full of bucks, period. None over 120 inches. First time that has happened to me in a long while. We had seen one around 140 inches two years ago, but there was no sign of him last season. Last season was just miserable for my crew and I. In my opinion, the "Blue Tongue" hit some areas harder than others. Another thing, I really don't think this disease is the only factor here. There has got to be other factors playing a role in this topic. I'm not exactly sure what could be taking place. I'm thinking about talking to a local biologist and seeing what he/she thinks about the matter. I'll post if I do this.
I think more mature deer will still be killed each and every year...outdoorsman...where exactly do you hunt