Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "GREAT" Rivalries
i think that p-ville & belfry has kinda of died down the past couple of years...sheldon clark & belfry now that is a true rivalry. it's a game that fans look forward to all year!
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: Very classy post, PTF. I hope that JC will always have the upper hand but they proved when Musick left how quickly a team can go from an undefeated season to a one-win season. I would love to see Paintsville able to compete with the best JC teams at some point but Paintsville's enrollment disadvantage makes that unlikely as long as JC remains well coached. I miss the Apple Bowl already.
IDT there is a high school atmosphere quite like the apple bowl. This year we just don't have that rival to look forward to playin lol but hey maybe it will work out and one day we will again see the two teams fightin for that barrel.
Back Before the New Harlan County high school, harlan city and Cawood were one heck of a rivalry same with Cawood and Cumberland.
i agree fleming neon vs. whitesburg were always great games
here is a great one from the NCKC Owen county and Carrol county these teams hate each the bolder bowl you never know who going to win:popcorn:
the riddler Wrote:here is a great one from the NCKC Owen county and Carrol county these teams hate each the bolder bowl you never know who going to win:popcorn:

Have they played this game this year yet? if not when is it?
The best part of high school football is the rivalry games, some old school rivalry games that come to mind are:

1. Whitesburg and Neon - two schools that absolutely hated one another.

2. Perry Co and Hazard - another two school that hated each other.

3. Belfry and Ironton, OH - two top notch football programs.

4. Ashland and Ironton, OH - two powerhouse teams

5. Belfry and Pikeville
Bell County- Rockcastle County
Bell County-Middlesboro- discontinued
Bell County-Boyle County-becoming a year after year statewide event
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:Bell County-Boyle County-becoming a year after year statewide event

Statewide? Really? Shouldn't we feel the tremor on the Richter Scale up here in NKY, then?
Chunk Wrote:The best part of high school football is the rivalry games, some old school rivalry games that come to mind are:

1. Whitesburg and Neon - two schools that absolutely hated one another.

2. Perry Co and Hazard - another two school that hated each other.

3. Belfry and Ironton, OH - two top notch football programs.

4. Ashland and Ironton, OH - two powerhouse teams

5. Belfry and Pikeville

That PCC vs Hazard, Like i said early in this post. We didn't care about that game. PCC didn't help use with a tie breaker. There was two teams that we really want to beat. The other teams was a cake walk. That was Paintsville and Pikeville. Win both of them, Home-fields until the semi.
qryche11 Wrote:Bellevue vs Dayton is the oldest rivalry in the state

Hate to break it to you but this is nowhere near true. The oldest game in the state is Male VS. Manuel that started in 1892 and is still going today. This is also the oldest game in the nation west of the Appalachian Mountains. :1:

The 2nd oldest game is Mayfield VS Paducah Tilghman that started in 1911 and is still played today. This game is about to turn 100 years old in 2 years. Most of all of the post have mentioned regional rivials but this is one that garners state wide attention though PT's slide the last 2 years has made it a little less talked about but even the Louisville, NKY, Central and Eastern parts of the state are familiar with this one if you follow football at all. After almost 100 years the teams are nearly at a deadlock in wins. This game has been featured on national TV twice with the most recent being about 10 years ago, sadly a PT win. :HitWall:
cj2561 Wrote:That PCC vs Hazard, Like i said early in this post. We didn't care about that game. PCC didn't help use with a tie breaker. There was two teams that we really want to beat. The other teams was a cake walk. That was Paintsville and Pikeville. Win both of them, Home-fields until the semi.

You can't tell me you didn't wanna stick it to the across town team. The Whitesburg and Neon game didn't help either team. However, both teams played hard in this game, wanting to have them bragging rights. Just because a game doesn't have playoff stipulations, doesn't mean its pointless or the team doesn't care about it. Look at Ironton and Belfry, these teams were not even in the same state, however, it was a big game. I find it hard to believe that the guys from Hazard, didn't wanna go out and beat the big bad PCC team.
Paintsville-Johnson Central: No longer play one another.:
Rockcastle County and Knox Central has to up there as far as results dating back to 1977.....they once held the highest scoring high school football game in the nation at 1 point believe it or not after that first meet, the rival is so motivative and intense, I know this......:thatsfunn
The finest programs in Kentucky are undoubtedly Trinity, Highlands, and St. Xavier (probably in that order). Year in and year out, these three are the best- and that includes UK and U of L.
Truth Wrote:The finest programs in Kentucky are undoubtedly Trinity, Highlands, and St. Xavier (probably in that order). Year in and year out, these three are the best- and that includes UK and U of L.

including uk and UofL no high school team would keep it close with either team that is a rediculous statement