Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic - 39 Dixie Heights - 34
Final.
Good come from behind win for CC. Does this give them 2nd place in the district.
what happened in this game?
Sounds like the colonels are improving!
Old School Wrote:Good come from behind win for CC. Does this give them 2nd place in the district.

Covington Catholic wraps up #2 in the district with this win.

Erpenbeck with almost 500 yards of total offense.

Dixie had 2 sideline enfractions that took 7 points of the board (90yd TD pass), and then denied them the opportunity to put more points on the board before the half. They had one called on them during a good punt return right before the half that gave CCH the ball back.

Dixie 613 total yards with 428yds coming through the air.
Dixie with 3 receivers over 100yds.
Haggerty 9 -162
Stegner 6 -130
Leonard 4 - 136

CCH 546 total yards on 77 plays
320yds rushing
246yds passing
Holy Cow! What a night for Erpenbeck
Dixie should have won.

But this game went as expected..high score and either team could have taken, but based on all ive heard from those who were there, it was Dixie's game and the penalty called to negate the TD killed them (and wasn't a good call. Don't know I wasn't there, but I've heard it from everyone except one CCH fan lol)

I'm still not convinced at all that CCH has improved as much as their opponents have just been easier. It's a fact. Some will look at it as improvement but realistically...not sure that's true.

Dixie has just been disappointing this year...I really thought they'd be better.
^ Sorry to disagree, CCH is defintely better than they have been the last two seasons, no doubts here. They were terrible in many aspects of the game last year. This team has been much more disciplined and there expectations have tremendously improved. This team is defintely better than they were.
After struggling in last week’s senior-day loss to Highlands, Covington Catholic quarterback Brayden Erpenbeck was determined that he and his fellow seniors would play another game on the Colonels’ home field.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310230139/

On Friday night, Erpenbeck certainly showed that he longed to return home again by rushing for 226 yards, passing for 226 more and accounting for four touchdowns to lift CovCath to a come-from-behind 39-34 road victory over Dixie Heights in a crucial district game.

CovCath (5-4) secured the No. 2 seed in the district and will host an opening-round Class 5A playoff game in a few weeks.

“Not one person thought last week would be our last game on that field,” said Erpenbeck, who rushed for three second-half scores. “We knew we weren’t going to lose this game.”

Erpenbeck said CovCath maintained that mentality even after falling behind 14-0 in the first four minutes of the game. CovCath’s ability to rally is a testament to how far the Colonels have progressed after the program had struggled in recent seasons, Erpenbeck said.

“I think they’re a resilient group,” said first-year coach Dave Wirth, whose team is ranked No. 5 in the Enquirer coaches’ poll. “We have great senior leadership.

Those guys have been through a lot; lost a lot of games the past few years. They’re developing a refuse-to-lose attitude.”

Erpenbeck is at the forefront of that charge. He became the first player in Northern Kentucky this season to rush and pass for 1,000 yards. He now has 1,068 rushing and 1,210 passing yards entering next week’s regular-season finale at Louisville St. Xavier. Erpenbeck’s 31-yard TD run with 2:32 remaining in the fourth quarter turned out to be the deciding score
CovCath 7 7 12 13--39
Dixie Heights 14 7 0 13 --34

DH–Wilson 6 run (Bronner kick)
DH–Stegner 59 pass from Wilson (Bronner kick)
CC–Schaefer 8 run (Talkers kick)
CC–Schaefer 23 run (Talkers kick)
DH–Bruns 6 run (Bronner kick)
CC–Gray 50 pass from Erpenbeck (kick blocked)
CC–Erpenbeck 8 run (conversion failed)
DH–Haggerty 78 pass from Wilson (conversion failed)
CC–Erpenbeck 10 run (conversion failed)
CC–Erpenbeck 31 run (Talkers kick)
DH–Stegner 6 pass from Wilson (Bronner kick)

Records: CovCath 5-4, 2-1; Dixie Heights 4-5, 1-2
Kentucky.com
You're entitled to your opinion of course.

But they really are not any better than the last two years. The last two years teams were better. This team is more disciplined/better coached. That is the difference. This team is playing an easier schedule which leads to people seeing it as improvement that they've beaten Scott, Campbell, Beechwood, NCC (last two in down years...heck even Scott is in a downdownnnn year.) Dixie is a legit opponent, but even they have underachieved and still by many peoples admissions should have won if not for a sideline infraction call that looks to be on a cameraman. Coaching and schedule has made all the difference this year; mainly coaching.
drizzy Wrote:This team is more disciplined/better coached. .

This was a pretty simple answer for me, thus the reason why the are better. I'm going through it now with our team. Best athletes that have been through here in years, but there is no discipline on the field!
I don't think either team could stop a pig in a two foot alley. Both teams will have a very short playoff life span.
good job
lol well, I'd just leave it at this team is better coached/prepared. They aren't better if we're talking talent and improvement, because they haven't actually improved all that much. Like I said...easier opponents.

I'd have to agree though, I don't think either team is looking at a deep playoff run anyways.