Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camels cruise to sweep of team titles
It was hot and the wind wasn't strong enough to create a steady breeze during Saturday's Class 3A track and field championships

The weather conditions were perfect for Camels.

Unfazed by 90-degree track temperatures, Campbell County doubled its pleasure at the big-school meet at Ryle High School as the girls' and boys' teams repeated as champions.

Senior Robbie Scharold and junior Anna Carrigan each won twice in individual events and twice on relays to pace the Camels, who share coaching staffs and train together throughout the season.

"We all work together, and I think it really helps us," said Carrigan, who won the 200- and 400-meter races and ran a leg on the winning 800- and 1,600-meter relay teams.

The Campbell County girls finished with 160 points to far outdistance runner-up Dixie Heights (91) and third-place Ryle (78).

"Anna had a great meet," Camels girls' coach Brandon Napier said. "Somebody just came up to me and said, 'Great job, coach.' But it's all about the girls. They are really focused and working hard."

The Campbell County boys totaled 150 points for a wide victory margin over runner-up Simon Kenton (92) and third-place Dixie Heights (86).

"The boys were telling me all week we were going to repeat, so it's exciting, and we want to keep that momentum going into the state meet next week in Louisville," said Camels boys' coach Toni McKee. "I think one of the things that's pretty unique to our team is that we really are a team. By splitting up things between all six coaches, we're able to give the kids more individual help and I think they perform better."

Scharold won the 800- and 1,600-meter events, but he was most pleased by his role in a collaborative effort on the winning 1,600 relay team, which has overcome devastating personal loss, injuries and one uncomfortable pair of spikes to set a school record in the event.

Scharold is pain-free after suffering a lower back injury last year that derailed his junior cross-country season and limited his track participation.

Senior Alexx Bernard missed last track season with a stress fracture in his left leg.

Senior Austin Johnson's father died in March as the Camels were preparing for this season.

Junior Doug Strange tossed his spikes in the middle of the schedule because they hurt his feet and since then has lowered personal-bests in all of his events while running in tennis shoes.

Despite their setbacks, the foursome blistered the track on Saturday with a winning time of 3 minutes, 24.96 seconds.

"Those three guys really have overcome a lot," said Strange. "But I have to overcome a lot next year because they won't be here."

Other individual multiple event winners were Boone County's Jeff Tetteh (100 and 200 meters) and Simon Kenton's Jordan Hansel (shot put and discus), Sage Powell (long jump and triple jump) and Alli Ponzer (100 meters, long jump and triple jump).
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...eam-titles