Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school football players, coaches of year
The Kentucky Football Coaches Association and Russell Athletics players and coaches of the year in each class:

PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

CLASS A: Jon Combs, Hazard
CLASS 2A: Brandon Sigler, Caldwell County
CLASS 3A: Anthony Wales, Central
CLASS 4A: Lamar Dawson, Boyle County
CLASS 5A: Marcoreyon “Bubba” Tandy, Christian County
CLASS 6A: Damarcus Smith, Seneca
COACHES OF THE YEAR

CLASS A: Joe Morris, Mayfield
CLASS 2A: Steve Duncan, Murray
CLASS 3A: John Myers, Russellville
CLASS 4A: Brad Hood, Allen County-Scottsville
CLASS 5A: Mike Rogers, Warren Central
CLASS 6A: Bryson Warner, Ryle
Stardust Wrote:The Kentucky Football Coaches Association and Russell Athletics players and coaches of the year in each class:

PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

COACHES OF THE YEAR

How in the world can a player be ,player of the year and not be the best player on the team.
I know Tandy of Christian Co is suppose to be a very good basketball player, but I was not impressed with him on the football field. I thought number 26 on defense for Christian Co was their best player. It would have been 50-0 in the first half agianst Highlands if he was not on the team. I have seen many players this year in 5A that deserve player of the year over Tandy.
sstack Wrote:I know Tandy of Christian Co is suppose to be a very good basketball player, but I was not impressed with him on the football field. I thought number 26 on defense for Christian Co was their best player. It would have been 50-0 in the first half agianst Highlands if he was not on the team. I have seen many players this year in 5A that deserve player of the year over Tandy.

We were saying the same thing last night. I think it's more who you are than what you do in some cases.
Stardust Wrote:The Kentucky Football Coaches Association and Russell Athletics players and coaches of the year in each class:

PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

COACHES OF THE YEAR

5A player could of been different,all others are about right.1A coach of the year should have been Mark Dixon of Hazard.
sstack Wrote:I know Tandy of Christian Co is suppose to be a very good basketball player, but I was not impressed with him on the football field. I thought number 26 on defense for Christian Co was their best player. It would have been 50-0 in the first half agianst Highlands if he was not on the team. I have seen many players this year in 5A that deserve player of the year over Tandy.

Unfortunantly Tandy's TEAM was dominated by Highlands and that in turn makes an impression on those that have not seen him before.

In spite of how his TEAM was dominated, he was the fastest player and best prospect on the field in the Highlands/Christian game and that includes Towles.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Unfortunantly Tandy's TEAM was dominated by Highlands and that in turn makes an impression on those that have not seen him before.

In spite of how his TEAM was dominated, he was the fastest player and best prospect on the field in the Highlands/Christian game and that includes Towles.

No way is he a better prospect "in football" than Towles! Brunes (spelling?) is also a better prospect in my opinion.Tandy might be the fastest player, but does not appear to be able to make any cuts for the holes. He needs big holes to show case his speed. Being fast does automatically make you a good football player.
Tandy has 5-6 D1 offers.

Towles will end up with offers as he is a very good player.

Brunes? Good HS player, but not D1.
jackbenimble Wrote:5A player could of been different,all others are about right.1A coach of the year should have been Mark Dixon of Hazard.

Hard to argue with the way Mayfield completely dominated all comers this year. They took the #1 ranking and not only proved they were #1, they blew away the competition. When you look at what they did in the playoffs, there was no question. It's one thing to go into the season as the #1 team, but another to go way beyond even what that expectation was. I agree with the Mayfield coach. Not taking anything away from Hazard, but this was the right choice.
Hard for a kid to make a cut when two and three players are around him at all times. To say he didn't play well is not giving credit to what Highlands did last night. Not that it mattered, but he did make several tackles last night that saved td's atleast for the short term. Ask the other 14 teams on our schedule if Tandy is deserving.
Once a Colonel Wrote:Hard for a kid to make a cut when two and three players are around him at all times. To say he didn't play well is not giving credit to what Highlands did last night. Not that it mattered, but he did make several tackles last night that saved td's atleast for the short term. Ask the other 14 teams on our schedule if Tandy is deserving.

I agree Tandy looked better on D than on O. Did you see the play where he jumped on Towles back and Towles carried him 5 yards. If Tandy did not have help on that play, I think Towles carries him another 5 or more yards.
Once a Colonel Wrote:Hard for a kid to make a cut when two and three players are around him at all times. To say he didn't play well is not giving credit to what Highlands did last night. Not that it mattered, but he did make several tackles last night that saved td's atleast for the short term. Ask the other 14 teams on our schedule if Tandy is deserving.

I would like to see the Defense of those other 14 teams to see if he earned the yards or if it was easy sailing. How many yards did he get agianst Boyle? Christian Co schedule was not that good. Boyle blew them out. BG, Warren, and Henderson are average teams. The rest of the schedule is weak(PRP 5-6, Hopkins 3-7, Madison 5-6, Owensboro 6-5, Ohio co 2-9, Barren 2-9). JJ Jude went up agianst the same Highlands D and put up close to 100 yards. He is far better player than Tandy.
With the way the lines played last night, Jude wouldn't have gotten many yards either if he had to run under those same conditions!!! Hard to make an argument against a kid that played d back, punt returner, kick returner, reciever, running back, and qb throughout the season and excelled at all of them. Last night just wasn't his or the colonels night!! Christians Schedule was one of the tougher schedules played this year by the rankings, but rankings aren't always correct so who knows.
Tandy is a great player. His team didn't help him and Highlands was ready to play. If CC had Mark Ingram (Alabama) last night, he might not have gotten 100 yards. It's a team sport and Highlands played as a team.
sstack Wrote:JJ Jude went up agianst the same Highlands D and put up close to 100 yards. He is far better player than Tandy.
Ha! That is a joke. Tandy has an SEC offer as well as several other D1 offers. Jude will be lucky to get an offer from Pikeville.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Ha! That is a joke. Tandy has an SEC offer as well as several other D1 offers. Jude will be lucky to get an offer from Pikeville.
Jude played better than Tandy against both Highlands and Boyle County. I believe that the award was given for the 5A player of the year and not for who has the best college offers. When their teams needed them to perform, both Jude and Towles answered the bell every time and responded with solid games under pressure. No joke. Just fact.
I was responding to stack saying Jude was a better player than Tandy, not who played better against Highlands or Boyle. Jude is NOT a better individual player than Tandy. He may play on a better team, but is not a better player.
Thunder Lips Wrote:I was responding to stack saying Jude was a better player than Tandy, not who played better against Highlands or Boyle. Jude is NOT a better individual player than Tandy. He may play on a better team, but is not a better player.
Christian County has been ranked ahead of Johnson Central most of the season. Are you saying that they were overrated? Jude and Tandy both played on good teams with good supporting casts. Against common opponents, Jude flat outplayed Tandy. It is really that simple. I love seeing Kentucky players excel at the next season and I congratulate Mr. Tandy and wish him well wherever he lands.

Jude and Towles will get another shot at the award next season and they should be on the short list of Mr. Football candidates. Jude has an outside shot at ending his career as the all-time leading rusher in Kentucky high school football history if he stays healthy.
Jude is an excellent HS running back for a Johnson Central team that gives him the ball 25 times a game. He is not a Division 1 running back or division 1 athlete. Tandy is.

I'm not talking about who plays on the better team or who has the better stats or who wins some goofy award. I'm saying Tandy is a better player than Jude. Period.

Towles on the other hand is going to be a big time prospect IMO.
Thunder Lips Wrote:I was responding to stack saying Jude was a better player than Tandy, not who played better against Highlands or Boyle. Jude is NOT a better individual player than Tandy. He may play on a better team, but is not a better player.
Sstack has seen them both just curious how you would know. Jude is in an area where it is hard to be found by major D1 programs. The main reason is lack of strong teams on the schedule and not being seen at the state level. Eastern Ky kids have a stereo type of not being able to go away to college and make it ie.. homesick, grades, and just an overall unreadiness to face the world outside of eastern KY. I have saw several D1 athletes play and Jude is definatley one of them. In my oppinion he should be a lock for ALL STATE this year and front runner for Mr. football next year along with Towles. Year in and year out kids from western KY get D1 scholorships like crazy just ask some of the northern KY schools if there are any D1 talent kids in the mountains. Jude is very mature, gets great grades, and is an exceptional athlete. Again I question, how would you know who is better, I don't?
Thunder Lips Wrote:Jude is an excellent HS running back for a Johnson Central team that gives him the ball 25 times a game. He is not a Division 1 running back or division 1 athlete. Tandy is.

I'm not talking about who plays on the better team or who has the better stats or who wins some goofy award. I'm saying Tandy is a better player than Jude. Period.

You are entitled to your opinion but there is a big difference in being a better D1 prospect because of your size and/or speed and being a better high school football player. Jude's numbers, including his stats against top competition, say that he had a better season than Tandy.

The thread is about the award for players and coaches of the year and it is fair to compare Jude's performance against the teams that Tandy also faced.

If you want to argue who is the best D1 football prospect, I won't. Tandy has multiple offers in hand and as far as I know, Jude does not.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Jude is an excellent HS running back for a Johnson Central team that gives him the ball 25 times a game. He is not a Division 1 running back or division 1 athlete. Tandy is.

I don't think that has anything to do with being a great HS player!

Archie Griffin is probably the greatest college running back to play the game, and he was deserved of his two Heisman trophy's, which didn't mean anything when he turned pro.

Jude is deserving of his award, no matter what he does next year!
i think coach Haywood, could have easily got coach of year for 3a with this team, but congrats ro all

:Thumbs:

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
agree with morris in 1a. not so sure about seigler in 2a. saw him twice and he really didnt show me much. good running back but not POY.
Im going to put Luke guhys Name out there for player of the year Hazards qbs numbers were just a hair better, but we all saw how Luke was poised and distrubuted the ball to his receivers. He was head to head better than combs and has a all around better feel for the qb position. I f a college doesnt offer Luke they are missing out on a jewel.
Stardust Wrote:COACHES OF THE YEAR

Congrats to coach duncan on the award but, im surprised that eviston at Newcath didn't win it. he lead newcath to a state title in his 1st season as head coach
When you look at coaches and players of the year you must start with the championship teams. Eviston at NewCath, following legend Bob Schneider and with a decisive playoff run climaxed with a 42-0 state championship win, should get the AA coach of year beyond any doubt.

Chris Kelly, stalwart on offense and defense should be highly considered for player of the year.

O Yes, I almost forgot, they are from Northern Kentucky so they don't get their due consideration in these state awards; THEY JUST BEAT THE HECK OUT OF ANY TEAM THEY PLAY FROM THE SOUTH, EAST OR WEST AND WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!:1: