Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Allen Central Baseball Coach
Chad Hall has been hired as the new Allen Central Baseball coach. It appears former coach Josh Todd has taken a position with Lee County(not 100% if that is where he went). As a former alumni I wish this program could find some stability. It has been competitive on a regular basis but has never received the proper support. It has and should continue to dominate the 58th district with proper instruction. ACMS has bumper crop coming into ACHS. Good luck to all involved!
Good luck to coach Hall
Thats a huge loss for Allen Central. I dont know about the incoming coach, but I know Josh Todd is a great guy, and IMO can only do good things for the team he is coaching.
Josh Todd going back to Lee County is a huge loss for the AC program. Coach Todd did a wonderful job with the Rebels for 3 years. But the prospect of returning to his alma mater out weighed the drama in Floyd County. Best of Luck to Coach Todd in his new job.

Chad Hall was an assistant under Josh Todd for the previous two seaons. Not sure of any other baseball experience he has, but Hall has a good work ethic and will work hard for a winning program. Good Luck to Coach Hall and the Rebel baseball program let's bring the 58th district title back to Eastern.
Did he take over the head job at Lee. And if so what happened to Lee's old Coach.
Josh is a great guy, and I think he would have done good things at AC. When things get bad in an area, whether it be with politics or scandal or whatever, it really is best to bring someone in from the outside who has no bias towards any one side. That is what happened with Todd and it turned out successful for them. I think they need to do the same thing now. I understand that hiring someone from the community makes sense when it comes to stability, but what about when it comes to success? No matter what a homegrown coach will always have a bias towards one side or the other, and sometimes the coach is good enough to where it makes no difference, but in most cases that bias ends up destroying a program
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Josh is a great guy, and I think he would have done good things at AC. When things get bad in an area, whether it be with politics or scandal or whatever, it really is best to bring someone in from the outside who has no bias towards any one side. That is what happened with Todd and it turned out successful for them. I think they need to do the same thing now. I understand that hiring someone from the community makes sense when it comes to stability, but what about when it comes to success? No matter what a homegrown coach will always have a bias towards one side or the other, and sometimes the coach is good enough to where it makes no difference, but in most cases that bias ends up destroying a program

I'm going to play devils advocate on this. First, your points are vaild and "homegrown" coaches can come in with a bias toward one player over another. This is especially, if they have been exposed to the players before taking the postition. You would hope that any precieved preference is not an actual bias but instead the coach feels one player is superior to another. However, even if you hire someone from the "outside" they will not be an outside forever. Will they not at some point be integrted into the "community?" If so, will they not become subject to these same types of bias that you are speaking? For me, its more about putting a coach in place that has the knowledge and ability to convey that knowledge to his players and put a winning/competetive team on the field. I know very little about Coach Todd except everybody speaks highly of him. I know very little about Coach Hall except everybody speaks highly of him as well. I don't know why coach Todd left or why the job opened up for him to take several years ago. If it was politiking or scandal I hope that is not the case now. I wish AC the best in the upcoming season. Just my opinion for whats its worth.
Joneslab Wrote:I'm going to play devils advocate on this. First, your points are vaild and "homegrown" coaches can come in with a bias toward one player over another. This is especially, if they have been exposed to the players before taking the postition. You would hope that any precieved preference is not an actual bias but instead the coach feels one player is superior to another. However, even if you hire someone from the "outside" they will not be an outside forever. Will they not at some point be integrted into the "community?" If so, will they not become subject to these same types of bias that you are speaking? For me, its more about putting a coach in place that has the knowledge and ability to convey that knowledge to his players and put a winning/competetive team on the field. I know very little about Coach Todd except everybody speaks highly of him. I know very little about Coach Hall except everybody speaks highly of him as well. I don't know why coach Todd left or why the job opened up for him to take several years ago. If it was politiking or scandal I hope that is not the case now. I wish AC the best in the upcoming season. Just my opinion for whats its worth.

Your right and that's why I think it's very important to get somebody in place who will not be swayed one way or the other. Social status sometimes gets in the way of coaching, and that is all I was getting at.
There was no scandal involved in Josh Todd leaving AC. The drama I mentioned previously was from parents who couldn't sit back and let Coach Todd do the job he was hired to do. They threw fits when their child didn't play enough, they threw fits when the entire team (even those who spent the game in the dug-out) had to run after a loss. Every one of the kids on that team should have been the leadoff hitter, the ace pitcher etc...

Allen Central has had 5 different head coaches in the past 9 years. After Ronnie Patton was let go days after winning the 15th region championship- Craig Kidd coached one season, Ken Johnson coached 3 seasons, Austin Shelton one season and Josh Todd 3 seasons.

Kidd stepped down after one season and stayed on as an assitant to Ken Johnson. Coach Johnson resigned after 3 seasons; he couldn't get a teaching job in Floyd County and moved to Bell County where his fiance was already teaching. Austin Shelton resigned after one season; he may have been in over his head taking on a head coaching job with so little coaching experience. Josh Todd left after 3 seasons, he accepted a teaching job in Lee County (his alma mater) and will help coach the Lee County Bobcats (with a former teammate). Good Luck to Coach Hall this season- I hope you can give this program the consistency it needs to get back on top of the 58th district.
I think Chad Hall will be just fine. I have heard he is adding former assistants Byron Patton and Greg Horne. These guys called the shots back in 02 and 03 when Allen Central made consecutive runs in the regionals and won the region in 03. Patton and Horne are very good baseball minds and with the upcoming talent at Allen Central they could do big things there. It was really a shame what happened to these guys along with Coach Ronnie Patton in the past. My son was apart of those teams and those guys had a good thing going.
KY Headhunter Wrote:I think Chad Hall will be just fine. I have heard he is adding former assistants Byron Patton and Greg Horne. These guys called the shots back in 02 and 03 when Allen Central made consecutive runs in the regionals and won the region in 03. Patton and Horne are very good baseball minds and with the upcoming talent at Allen Central they could do big
things there. It was really a shame what happened to these guys along with Coach Ronnie Patton in the past. My son was apart
of those teams and those guys had a good
thing going.

Are you sure you mean 2002? They barely had a .500 record and was mercy ruled in the second game of the regional tournament? 2003 they did really well in the post season though.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Are you sure you mean 2002? They barely had a .500 record and was mercy ruled in the second game of the regional tournament? 2003 they did really well in the post season though.

That was the year of post season upsets. First Sheldon Clark over Paintsville in the district, and then East Ridge over Sheldon Clark in the regionals. Not to take anything away from AC, but...............
Bob Seger Wrote:That was the year of post season upsets. First Sheldon Clark over Paintsville in the district, and then East Ridge over Sheldon Clark in the regionals. Not to take anything away from AC, but...............

I was wondering? Their record didn't reflect a region champ in 2003, and sometimes the stars a line just right? I do appreciate the passion from the AC people though? You can tell they really want a competitive program, but a lot has to come together for that to happen for them? There are 2 or 3 teams that are going to have a consistent competitive team every year because of their coaching staff and the work they put in, but the players also have to have that same dedication? I know a lot of teams in eastern kentucky that roll their eyes to the idea of fall baseball, but when you look at teams around the country, they basically have two seasons, and that is how they get seperated so much from other teams? It's hard to only have a competitive nature 3 months out of the year, and then stop and do nothing until february comes around again?
Bob Seger Wrote:That was the year of post season upsets. First Sheldon Clark over Paintsville in the district, and then East Ridge over Sheldon Clark in the regionals. Not to take anything away from AC, but...............

That was one of the last years I really followed high school baseball in the 15th. As an AC alum it was fun to watch. I remember Sheldon Clark was ranked in the top 15 in the state for most of that year.They were the best team in the region. Best offense and best pitcher (Preece?). Them beating Paintsville in the district wasn't an upset. Seems like Paintsville was a one man team that year. In the region Sheldon Clark beat East Ridge not the other way around. East Ridge also had a quality arm that year (Slone?) The game went several extra innings and Sheldon Clark had to use up their number one arm. Allen Central saved pitching the first game against Belfrey (they barely won) and had their number one on the mound (Neil Allen, he was a big lanky leftie, threw hard) against Sheldon Clark. If I recall correctly and its been a long time ago, Neil Allen had double digit Ks and hit a three run bomb in the game for Allen Central. Allen Central won 4-3. Games were played at Johnson Central. Allen Central went on to beat Johnson Central in the finals. Johnson Central was out of arms and Allen Central pitched their number two and got the victory. Allen Central had a solid rotation that year 1-3. I know they saved pitching a lot in none district games because the 58th seeds. Sure they gave up several wins during the regluar season. I think that record in 2003 could be a little decieving. Not sure about the 2002 record. I didn't see them play that much. Sometimes, the stars do align. I rather be lucky then good sometimes. Im sure AC doesn't care how they won or why. They will keep the title. As always, just my opinion and we all know what they say.
Joneslab Wrote:That was one of the last years I really followed high school baseball in the 15th. As an AC alum it was fun to watch. I remember Sheldon Clark was ranked in the top 15 in the state for most of that year.They were the best team in the region. Best offense and best pitcher (Preece?). Them beating Paintsville in the district wasn't an upset. Seems like Paintsville was a one man team that year. In the region Sheldon Clark beat East Ridge not the other way around. East Ridge also had a quality arm that year (Slone?) The game went several extra innings and Sheldon Clark had to use up their number one arm. Allen Central saved pitching the first game against Belfrey (they barely won) and had their number one on the mound (Neil Allen, he was a big lanky leftie, threw hard) against Sheldon Clark. If I recall correctly and its been a long time ago, Neil Allen had double digit Ks and hit a three run bomb in the game for Allen Central. Allen Central won 4-3. Games were played at Johnson Central. Allen Central went on to beat Johnson Central in the finals. Johnson Central was out of arms and Allen Central pitched their number two and got the victory. Allen Central had a solid rotation that year 1-3. I know they saved pitching a lot in none district games because the 58th seeds. Sure they gave up several wins during the regluar season. I think that record in 2003 could be a little decieving. Not sure about the 2002 record. I didn't see them play that much. Sometimes, the stars do align. I rather be lucky then good sometimes. Im sure AC doesn't care how they won or why. They will keep the title. As always, just my opinion and we all know what they say.
Even though Sheldon Clark was ranked for most of the year, they were still the #2 team, IMO. Paintsville started with Soph. Josh LeMaster and was knocked off the mound I believe in the first inning. Just one of those days that pitchers sometime have. Personally I thought it was AC that for the most part had the one man team, with that being Allen. As for throwing hard, he topped out at 83 in that game, which for a lefty is pretty good, but not overpowering, but you are right, he was certainly a heck of a player. As for the regional final, I wouldn't say that JC ran out of arms but they were very young that year. As far as their pitchers in the regional tournament that year,sophomore Adam Blanton beat Pike Cental in the opener and sophomore Cory Conley beat Pikeville in the second round. A third sophomore,Travis Montgomery started in the finals and was cruising along easily when his leg started cramping. After several game stoppages because of Montgomery's cramps, freshman Matt Fyffe came in and pitched a couple of innings with freshman Justin Blanton finishing the last two. Both freshmen did outstanding in their 4 innings but JC coundn't generate any offense in that game. Those were 5 pretty talented pitchers on that squad. They all played in college, except Conley, who could have, but chose not to.

As for being lucky, I wouldn't say that. AC had a good team. They did beat JC earlier in the regular season, so I wouldn't call that an upset win. But I do think that with Paintsville and SC being knocked out early it greatly enhanced their chances. To their credit they did take advantage of the opportunity, and do have the title and the trophy to prove it. They earned every bit of that championship. It was a fun tournament that year.

Isn't it also ironic in that history was probably made after that game. Both the regional runner up and championship coach were both not rehired for the next season.
Bob Seger Wrote:Even though Sheldon Clark was ranked for most of the year, they were still the #2 team, IMO. Paintsville started with Soph. Josh LeMaster and was knocked off the mound I believe in the first inning. Just one of those days that pitchers sometime have. Personally I thought it was AC that for the most part had the one man team, with that being Allen. As for throwing hard, he topped out at 83 in that game, which for a lefty is pretty good, but not overpowering, but you are right, he was certainly a heck of a player. As for the regional final, I wouldn't say that JC ran out of arms but they were very young that year. As far as their pitchers in the regional tournament that year,sophomore Adam Blanton beat Pike Cental in the opener and sophomore Cory Conley beat Pikeville in the second round. A third sophomore,Travis Montgomery started in the finals and was cruising along easily when his leg started cramping. After several game stoppages because of Montgomery's cramps, freshman Matt Fyffe came in and pitched a couple of innings with freshman Justin Blanton finishing the last two. Both freshmen did outstanding in their 4 innings but JC coundn't generate any offense in that game. Those were 5 pretty talented pitchers on that squad. They all played in college, except Conley, who could have, but chose not to.

As for being lucky, I wouldn't say that. AC had a good team. They did beat JC earlier in the regular season, so I wouldn't call that an upset win. But I do think that with Paintsville and SC being knocked out early it greatly enhanced their chances. To their credit they did take advantage of the opportunity, and do have the title and the trophy to prove it. They earned every bit of that championship. It was a fun tournament that year.

Isn't it also ironic in that history was probably made after that game. Both the regional runner up and championship coach were both not rehired for the next season.

Sheldon Clark beat Paintsville and Allen Central beat Sheldon Clark. You play who you got in front of you. AC's pitchers got a good roll and threw strikes. They got some solid D behind them as well. They had a young infield that year if I recall correctly. Freshmen on third and second most games and they made solid plays. Especially during that tournament. You are right, that was a fun tournament.

You are probably right about the signifigance of neither coach being rehired the next year. I bet that had and my never happen again. I did see a poster on here post that Chad Hall had hired the same assistants that were there in 2003. I will have to look into that. Those guys seemed to know baseball and did a good job with the kids. I know Byron Patton handled the pitchers and catchers and did all the pitch calling for several years. Hopefully, they can help bring the program back to the top of the 58th.
Bob Seger Wrote:Even though Sheldon Clark was ranked for most of the year, they were still the #2 team, IMO. Paintsville started with Soph. Josh LeMaster and was knocked off the mound I believe in the first inning. Just one of those days that pitchers sometime have. Personally I thought it was AC that for the most part had the one man team, with that being Allen. As for throwing hard, he topped out at 83 in that game, which for a lefty is pretty good, but not overpowering, but you are right, he was certainly a heck of a player. As for the regional final, I wouldn't say that JC ran out of arms but they were very young that year. As far as their pitchers in the regional tournament that year,sophomore Adam Blanton beat Pike Cental in the opener and sophomore Cory Conley beat Pikeville in the second round. A third sophomore,Travis Montgomery started in the finals and was cruising along easily when his leg started cramping. After several game stoppages because of Montgomery's cramps, freshman Matt Fyffe came in and pitched a couple of innings with freshman Justin Blanton finishing the last two. Both freshmen did outstanding in their 4 innings but JC coundn't generate any offense in that game. Those were 5 pretty talented pitchers on that squad. They all played in college, except Conley, who could have, but chose not to.

I do need to correct one thing after thinking about it. Those two were 8th graders that year instead of freshmen.
Joneslab Wrote:Sheldon Clark beat Paintsville and Allen Central beat Sheldon Clark. You play who you got in front of you. AC's pitchers got a good roll and threw strikes. They got some solid D behind them as well. They had a young infield that year if I recall correctly. Freshmen on third and second most games and they made solid plays. Especially during that tournament. You are right, that was a fun tournament.

You are probably right about the signifigance of neither coach being rehired the next year. I bet that had and my never happen again. I did see a poster on here post that Chad Hall had hired the same assistants that were there in 2003. I will have to look into that. Those guys seemed to know baseball and did a good job with the kids. I know Byron Patton handled the pitchers and catchers and did all the pitch calling for several years. Hopefully, they can help bring the program back to the top of the 58th.
That is right. I hope no disrespect was perceived by my comments. Allen Central did exactly what they had to do to win and took care of business. They were indeed the 2003 15th region champions and derserve all of the credit and whatever accolades there is that follows.:Thumbs:
Ac infield that year for the regionals was 3 freshman and a soph. Turner played third, music played short, and jacobs played 2nd, all those kids freshman and ryan hammonds played first and he was a soph. There were a couple seniors who played in the infield most of the season but at the end of the year something happened and in the postseason those kids were no longer with the team.
As for the pitching situation ac did use their staff wisely in the regionals and was able to win the title. Another thing about that staff that everybody forgets is tyler turner would have been probably their #2 man behind allen, was not able to pitch all year due to soreness in his arm.
Bob Seger Wrote:
I do need to correct one thing after thinking about it. Those two were 8th graders that year instead of freshmen.

If there is video of them pitching in that game i'd love to see it? It is also ironic that in 2007 when they were seniors they faced Shep from LC on the mound in the 15th region championship............who was an 8th grader. It's funny how things happen sometimes?
well ac has ben tough the past years so.. hopefully the new coach can do better
i am a champion Wrote:well ac has ben tough the past years so.. hopefully the new coach can do better

HUH? In 2011 AC was 11-18, and they were barely a .500 team the year before? That's not exactly tough, especially when every single opponent on the schedule is within walking distance? That's just an expression you know what I mean..
I have talked to Greg Horne this week and he tells me he is not coming back to the coaching staff but Byron Patton more than likely will. I would have loved seeing Greg back out their with the energy he brings, but Patton will be great as well. I will never forget the regional tournament in 03 when Neil Allen hit the homer against Sheldon Clark and Greg was so pumped he sprinted to home plate to greet him. That was priceless.