Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet/Dry Vote - Estill County
I live in Estill County and voted YES for the county to go wet. However, as you may have seen on the news, the NOs took it by 50 votes.

Is there anyone who currently lives in a dry town? Is the town flourishing?

Does anyone live in a town that went wet recently? If so, has the town changed?
judgementday Wrote:I live in Estill County and voted YES for the county to go wet. However, as you may have seen on the news, the NOs took it by 50 votes.

Is there anyone who currently lives in a dry town? Is the town flourishing?

Does anyone live in a town that went wet recently? If so, has the town changed?

Paintsville voted to go wet almost 4 years ago. There were big promises of nice new restraurants that would quickly come to town if the community would vote yes. Well, after 4 years there has not been one single new restaurant come to Paintsville. Also, there was the assurance that the new great influx of tax revenue would finance many wonderous projects to bolster the quality of life in the community. Again to this day, there has not been, to the my knowledge, one single thing that has been financed, built, or supported by new income derived from the sale of alcoholic beverage that has gone towards benefiting the community. Also, the city of Paintsville is now basicly broke.......Go figure!!
Manchester city limits voted wet a about 18 months ago. The only difference I know of has been that city revenues have increased. The only difference I "see" is beer signs and two liquor stores. Between myself and those I know and converse with, we have not seen a negative impact at all.

FWIW, I am a casual beer and wine drinker. I still have a few bottles of Bud Light I bought in April. Getting intoxicated is no longer on my agenda. A few ice cold (yummy) ones after mowing or while playing a round of golf has become my limit.

Not having to drive to Richmond or Hazard to get a bottle of wine or a few beers is most definitely a positive.
^^
Pretty much ditto here, too.

We've had a couple new restaurants that were planning to sell by the drink; one hasn't opened yet; a pizzaria down town that's supposed to have a sports bar upstairs. But we've had more eating places to close than to open. I don't know if one legally sold alcoholic drink that has been consumed.

(I was dittoing Bob Seger...SKINNYPIG beat me to the post punch!!)
Wink
Does the New Mexican place beside of Pizza Hut sell alchohal?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Does the New Mexican place beside of Pizza Hut sell alchohal?

I dont know if they do or not.
We had the same Mexican rest to build another just down the road, for the sole pupose of selling alcohol by the drink. That has never materialized.
These tacky homespun Mexican restaurants that move into a building where a Wendy's moves out are not exactly what was advertised in the pre election rhetoric.....lol..... We now have 3 Mexican restaurants within a half mile of one another here in Paintsville. We were told "nice" restraurants would flock to our humble little town.. Applebees and that type was the "pro wet" propaganda promise.
Bob Seger Wrote:These tacky homespun Mexican restaurants that move into a building where a Wendy's moves out are not exactly what was advertised in the pre election rhetoric.....lol..... We now have 3 Mexican restaurants within a half mile of one another here in Paintsville. We were told "nice" restraurants would flock to our humble little town.. Applebees and that type was the "pro wet" propaganda promise.

This is what I was curious about....if a town goes wet does it really bring in new businesses or is it just blowing smoke. Appears from what I have read it doesn't make much of a difference.

Oh, and we have a Mexican place in our town. They have to shut down every 6 months to clean out the roaches.
OUR Mexican place doesn't have roaches running around!!

I believe they use them as garnish!
Wink
Bob Seger Wrote:These tacky homespun Mexican restaurants that move into a building where a Wendy's moves out are not exactly what was advertised in the pre election rhetoric.....lol..... We now have 3 Mexican restaurants within a half mile of one another here in Paintsville. We were told "nice" restraurants would flock to our humble little town.. Applebees and that type was the "pro wet" propaganda promise.

Out of the three I prefer Mi Finca. But I agree with you that it really did nothing for the town.
Corbin went wet last year.
Theyve already received almost 2 million dollars from the sales of tax money in the form of tax dollars.
There using it to repave main street and redo the side walks.
As far as crime and DUI's, none of that has went up.
I expect London and Bville to eventually go wet because Corbin is getting all the business.
Granny & Bob...Since when did you guys start falling for pre-election rhetoric?

They were yelling the same stuff here. You would have thought Red Lobster and Appleby's were going to be right behind the first beer truck in Manchester. I knew better.

Pat's Snack Bar & El Casadore's (existing before wet) both serve alcohol now.
No one said anything about Bob and me falling for pre-election rhetoric!! Just because the statements were made doesn't mean either of us believed them, or even voted a certain way. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even eligible to vote in the wet/dry election.
Geez SKINNYPIG, now that I think about it Seger and I are both too old for the rhetoric crap!!!!
Wink
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin went wet last year.
Theyve already received almost 2 million dollars from the sales of tax money in the form of tax dollars.
There using it to repave main street and redo the side walks.
As far as crime and DUI's, none of that has went up.
I expect London and Bville to eventually go wet because Corbin is getting all the business.

Do you think it is because Corbin was already an established town with a number of businesses?
I technically live in Lancaster (Garrard County) now. They went wet a few years ago. I believe they added two restaurants and 2-3 liquor stores. However, at least one, maybe two of those liquor stores have closed. I believe that after the work that Nathan Mick and others did to get the county ready to grow is going to help. The new Highway 27 (Nicholasville Road) is going to help tremendously, IF Lancaster lets it.
Granny Bear Wrote:No one said anything about Bob and me falling for pre-election rhetoric!! Just because the statements were made doesn't mean either of us believed them, or even voted a certain way. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even eligible to vote in the wet/dry election.

Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion that the two of you were expecting those nice new restaurants based on what the "vote yes" side was saying. I should have known better. Again, sorry.

Expectations for small towns can be limited to...A gain in revenue, a few liquor stores, Walmart, quick stops, grocery and drug stores selling alcohol and a few restaurants serving. If you're expecting anything else, you will be disappointed.

Negative impacts...Here in Manchester, I haven't noticed any.
^
No worries, SKINNYPIG!! LOL

I was mostly kidding you and taking a jab at Seger's age!
Wink
judgementday Wrote:Do you think it is because Corbin was already an established town with a number of businesses?

That could have a lot to do with it, but you have to look at the hot spot Corbin lies in.
London is actually a larger town. There dry. Everybody in this town and the surrounding ones either go to Richmond or Jellico to get beer when it was dry.

Now. Corbin is wet. We get people from Laurel County, Whitley County, Mccreary County, Knox County and others as well that flock in to get a case because its closer. We also get tons of business from TN where the beer is a lot higher due to sales tax, which its almost a dollar a can down there.

Corbin is definitely a step up from a lot of towns in KY, but it isnt exactly a booming place. IMHO, it has done more good for the city so far then its done bad.
I live in Lawrence County in the town of Louisa and it is dry. I see it like this. The people who drink (and I am one of them) will drink dry county or not. In my town the people who drink go across the river to West Virginia or up north to Boyd county buy the stuff and then bring it back home to Lawrence county??? So all I see that my county accomplishes from doing this is losing revenue to surrounding counties and states. The only way I see being dry accomplishes anything is if all the counties that surround you are also dry IMO!