Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux -n- Windows
Im sure most of you know alot more about computers than me, (TorQQue and ZMG) so maybe you can explain the differences and which one you prefer, and just stuff like that.
I've used linux, and cisco or somthing like that before.. But I suck at computers so I can't really tell you teh differences ol
I prefer Linux.. I use both.. Linux is open source . Which means the source code is available for you to manipulate as you see fit. Linux is developed by teams of programmers around the world using the internet.

Windows is expensive and not as secure.
Linux is free and highly secure.. About 90 percent of every webpage you visit on the internet is hosted on a Linux Server..

I could go on and on.. But if you do a quick search in google you will see the many advantages of linux.. Windows also has its advantages. Which is mostly compatiability related.. But linux offers everything that windows does plus more.. And its free

Linux will virtually eliminate crashes, spyware and viruses. You dont even need to to run virus protection . Linux is superior when it comes to the server side of things.

BTW, 4leaf if you wanna give Linux a try without loading it to your hard drive. You can go to http://www.knoppix.com and download the cd version of linux. Just set your computer to boot from the cd rom. Pop in the cd and it will run Linux on your computer right on the cd rom. It will load all your drivers and you will be able to go straight online.

Also if you would like to check out some of free software and games available for linux check out. http://www.linuxlinks.com

You can also download distros there if you decide to make the change to linux. I suggest you try fedora core 3 or mandrake.. Great operating systems.. They come pre packaged with all the software you could ever want.. No need to buy office. There is already 3 or 4 version built in. No need to buy games there is 100s built in. There are compilers, instant messengers, several browsers, apache web server, email server, pdf edition software, programming tools, media players, tax software, photo editiing software..etc..tect.. Just loads of software all ready prepackaged in teh download. ALl this software would costs 10000s of dollars on windows..
If you dont want to fully migrate to Linux all at once you can set up dual boot system. Just download the distro of your choice.. Pop it in the cd rom and set up a dual boot. .It will walk you through it step by step.. Instead of doing the clean install option just choose the dual boot option. Make sure you have some unallocated partitioned space on your hd.. Then once its loaded and when your computer boots you can choose to boot windows or linux..
Thanks QQ, I think I'll try the cd version and see how I like it.
And once again QQ got excited and flew over my head.. I saw a lot of words but nothing really jumped out and said told me anything lol..

j/k.. QQ.. well not really.. but ... ah hell i'll shut up lol
Its great.. Linux is quicker than windows... But the cd version will not be as quick at a installed version of linux. Due to data stream and bus speeds of a cd rom drive compared to a ATA 133 hard drive. But it will give you idea visually of what linux is like.. I use the knoppix cd all the time to test computers.. before i ever load operating system.. with knoppix you dont even need a hard drive.. Its great to keep it on hand in case your windows crashes or your hard drive crashes and you need to get back online as quickly as possible..