Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region strength on schedule. (So Far)
I've been watching how the schedule for the 15th region teams have been changing with all the delays and with COVID.  I wanted to do discuss on here with roughly a week out from the start of the season, teams I thought had the toughest schedules in the 15th region.  

I've notice Shelby Valley as of 12/26 play all Regions teams except Corida and two games against Leslie County.  Same goes with East Ridge they play all Region except a game with Morgan County and Letcher County.   Magoffin also plays Morgan and Letcher and the rest Region.  Betsy Layne also went this route with the exception of the WYMT which they still could play Martin County and they have Breathitt and a TBA in Jackson City.  
They do play Pikeville, JC, SV and Paintsville in the Region.  With COVID this may be the smartest route because of less travel but will it help those teams come tournament time not being as battle tested as other teams in the Region.  

Now if you look at Martin County.  As of today I'm thinking their schedule isn't complete on KHSAA or at least I hope it isn't.   They play in the WYMT and they do have Rowan County and Ashland coming to them.  They play Owensboro Catholic who they were suppose to play in the Sweet 16 last year on the road which is nice.  
I wanted to see them play some more Pre Season Top 25 teams since they are our Pre Season Favorite.  They Also play Buckhorn and Knott County both at home.  

Paintsville also to me could use a little more of the exciting games as well.  They do play Ashland at home but besides that game its pretty plain.  They play mostly Region teams.  They have a home and home with Russel, they play Raceland once and Bracken County.  That's it.      

Belfrys schedule seems to be okay.   They play Madison Central on a neutral floor and Bourbon County is coming to them.  After that they have Letcher County, Knott County and Russell.  So a lot of Region teams for them as well.  

Johnson Central has a home and home with Raceland and Boyd county.  They go on the road to Ashland.  They play Perry Central, Bath County, Paris, and Rowan County.  Looks like they could add a few more games to their schedule so like with others I'm sure it isn't complete.  

Pike Central is a team that most people around here don't know anything about.  They don't have a roster filled out yet and we don't know how many transfers they have.  As for their schedule they play quite a few out of Region teams.  Fredrick Douglas, Pulaski County, Harlan, Harlan County, Perry, Rose Hill, Knott, Whitley, Madison Southern, and East Jessamine.  The thing that gets me is they do not play Martin County, Pikeville, Johnson Central, Paintsville or Lawrence County.   Maybe the strategy of playing out of Region with benefit them.  Only time will tell.  

Now the team I think has the toughest schedule in the Region as of 12/26 is Pikeville.  The Panthers go on the road to North Laurel(16) to start the season. Ashland(4) is coming to them.  They play at George Rogers Clark(13), Madison Central(21) who are all ranked in pre season top 25 according to LHL.  They also play at Wolfe, Knott County, Somerset and Harlan. They play in the Hatfield McCoy Shootout and it looks the they are going to have a PIT but those teams are TBA.  They play all the top teams in the 15th except for Martin County I hope they get that one schedule as i believe Pikeville went to MC last year.  I hope MC comes to them.  I think the Panthers will be the most battle tested team in 15th and should be well prepared come tournament time.  

I know the season has been pushed back a few times already and scheduling has been hard.   Something to debate with the Season hopefully starting soon.
I know Martin was supposed to play in the tournaments in Louisville and Lexington but not sure what’s going on with them now due to covid.