Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oneida Baptist Institute 82 Red Bird 53 (49th District)
Our first boys post season game. It was actually played today at 2:00pm. The next game in the district does not play until Tuesday, February 27th.
Seems like a lifetime ago, but I can remember when Red Bird Mission, a school with less than 50 boys in grades 7-12 , advanced to the 13th region title game against Clay County. It was 26 years ago. John D. Wilson's Birds lost by, I believe, five points to Clay.  Tough times since the great JDW retired.
(02-25-2024, 01:27 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Seems like a lifetime ago, but I can remember when Red Bird Mission, a school with less than 50 boys in grades 7-12 , advanced to the 13th region title game against Clay County. It was 26 years ago. John D. Wilson's Birds lost by, I believe, five points to Clay.  Tough times since the great JDW retired.

I loved seeing he and Redbird featured in that ESPN documentary about high school basketball back in 2002. I'll never forget the scene where he got choked up in the locker room talking about some of the kids on the team that had a sick family member in the hospital and was on the verge of getting to come home and he got choked up. Great coach and even better man.
(02-25-2024, 02:30 AM)P. Fanning Wrote:
(02-25-2024, 01:27 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Seems like a lifetime ago, but I can remember when Red Bird Mission, a school with less than 50 boys in grades 7-12 , advanced to the 13th region title game against Clay County. It was 26 years ago. John D. Wilson's Birds lost by, I believe, five points to Clay.  Tough times since the great JDW retired.

I loved seeing he and Redbird featured in that ESPN documentary about high school basketball back in 2002. I'll never forget the scene where he got choked up in the locker room talking about some of the kids on the team that had a sick family member in the hospital and was on the verge of getting to come home and he got choked up. Great coach and even better man.

One of the best coaches in 13th region and KY High School history. As good a coach as he was was, he was an even man. Legend.