Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitt's Coach Haywood fired!
New Pitt coach jailed on domestic violence charge
1 hour, 2 minutes ago

ShareretweetEmailPrintSOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP)—New Pittsburgh coach Mike Haywood was jailed Friday on a domestic violence charge after an incident at his South Bend home.

Assistant St. Joseph County Police Chief Bill Redman said Haywood was arrested about 3 p.m. Friday after a custody issue developed with a woman with whom Haywood has a child. The unidentified woman told police that Haywood grabbed her by the arm and neck and pushed her as she tried to leave.

Redman said the woman had marks on her neck, arms and back.

“The University of Pittsburgh is aware of an alleged incident involving head football coach Michael Haywood today in South Bend, Indiana,” the school said in an e-mailed statement. “The University expects the highest standards of conduct from its employees, including its coaches, and any breach of those standards is a very serious matter. The University will decline further comment until more complete information is available.”

Haywood will be held without bond in the St. Joseph County jail until he goes before a judge. Redman said that might occur over the weekend, but no later than Monday.

Pittsburgh hired Haywood on Dec. 16 to replace Dave Wannstedt, who resigned under pressure. Haywood led Miami (Ohio) to a 9-4 record this season and the Mid-American Conference championship.

The 46-year-old Haywood also has been an assistant coach at Army, Ohio University, Ball State, LSU, Texas and alma mater Notre Dame.
Pitt sucks!!!!!
LOL you have got to be kidding me.
This guy is going to get fired before he ever starts.
Pitt is giving UK all the opportunities in the world to have the momentum coming into the game.
I have no tolerance for people like this and im sure Pitt dont either.
I dont see a school keeping a head coach who is a woman beater. If its true.
Its untelling what Pitt will bring to the field.
What a shame. Coaches and athletes always have a short fuse, and unfortunatly for this guys family, it will cost them significantly.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5978467

Quote:Pittsburgh has fired football coach Mike Haywood on Saturday following his arrest on a domestic violence charge that was upgraded to a felony. "After careful consideration of recent events, the University of Pittsburgh has dismissed Michael Haywood as its head football coach, effective immediately. He was advised of that action this afternoon," the school said in statement. Haywood was released on $1,000 cash bond following an incident at his South Bend, Ind.,

What is so strange is that when you go to ESPN's homepage, the link says Pitt's Coach Fired. When you click on the story it doesn't say anything about it. BUT if you click on ESPN Conversation, the above paragraph is listed, lol. SOOOO confused!
Okay, it is all fixed, ESPN updated the title of their article, :lmao:
Good move for Pittsburgh. This was the right thing to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5978467

What is so strange is that when you go to ESPN's homepage, the link says Pitt's Coach Fired. When you click on the story it doesn't say anything about it. BUT if you click on ESPN Conversation, the above paragraph is listed, lol. SOOOO confused!

You beat me to it. Good move for the Panthers. It was the only thing they could do and the right thing to do.
Pitt sucks!!!!!
This was an as impressive run at Pitt for Mike Haywood as Mark Price had at Alabama a few years ago. I guess the only difference was Mike Haywood was beating on a woman and Mark Price was at a strip club trying to love on a woman. :biggrin:
Who are they saying will coach Pitt during the Bowl game.
Stardust Wrote:Who are they saying will coach Pitt during the Bowl game.

The articles that I read didn't say anything about who was going to coach the Panthers in the bowl game.
I may be getting coaches confused, I thought I read something that Wanstedt (sp?) was going to coach them anyway.
Yeah Wannstedt was coaching the Compass Bowl regardless.

Pitt fans might be happy. I don't think many were too wild about getting a MAC coach to begin with.
This only helps UK. Were going to need all the help we can get. UCONN made the right move though, the trail for this thing would only be a distraction, and heck he may end up in jail anyway.
Jarons Wrote:The articles that I read didn't say anything about who was going to coach the Panthers in the bowl game.
I may be getting coaches confused, I thought I read something that Wanstedt (sp?) was going to coach them anyway.

Wanstedt still has not confirmed nor denied his intentions on coaching in the bowl game. He is reported to be very angered towards University officials, Pitt. has a mess. Personally I wouldn't have dismissed Wanstedt.
I believe ESPN said that the Defensive Coordinator was taking over for the Bowl Game.....Wannstedt allegedly stepped down from coaching the team.
I dont blame Wannstedt for not coaching in the Compass Bowl. I mean, why would he? More importantly, why should he? Pitt shouldn't have gotten rid of him in the first place. They had a 10-win season in 2009. This season was a little disappointing for them but a share of the Big East title was still achieved. Who do they think they are? They're not a powerhouse team. I say he would have led them to a BCS bowl if they would have kept him on the sideline.