18. Henderson County
19. Lexington Christian
20. Beechwood
Tates Creek
22. Christian County
Somerset
24. Russell County
25. Pikeville

Others Receiving Votes - Bryan Station, Henry Clay, Butler, Ashland Blazer, Lone Oak, George Rogers Clark, Boone County, Hopkinsville, Elizabethtown, Bowling Green, Ballard Memorial, Danville, Christian Academy, Owensboro Catholic, Warren Central, DeSales, North Laurel, Newport Central Catholic, Dixie Heights
Just goes to show how meaningless this poll is.
That poll couldn't be any more useless.
#9 & #16 aren't even spelled right haha...
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just goes to show how meaningless this poll is.
PT I certainly agree with you. My question is, does this poll take on some signifant purpose later on in the season? This after a more representative number of games have been played. If not at all then perhaps one should lobby to have polls in H.S. athletic discontinued? The latter being a question.
PT I have been doing some thinking.Polls may not necessarily be a total waste.For instance iif you took your ranked teams and took a look into their individual records and the records of the teams they have played. Some interesting data might yield. I looked at Eastern8-0,Paul Dunbar 7-0 and Harrison 2-3. Without a poll we may not be inclined to look at any teams in particuliar. Eastern's record as well as Dunbar's looks real good. Harrison's 2-3 on the otherhand might look suspicious except for the fact that four of their games were played against 4 seasoned and probably tough Fla. teams. I figure Harrison to be back.Maybe not repeat but there. I have seen Harrison,Dunbar,West Jessamine and Tates Creek since last season. The folks at TC claimed to be rebuilding. My thoughts are ok!!!! A poll along with this process allows me to follow teams I am interested in watching. For me they aren't a waste necessarily. Besides you can watch those same teams rise and fall as the season progresses.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:PT I certainly agree with you. My question is, does this poll take on some signifant purpose later on in the season? This after a more representative number of games have been played. If not at all then perhaps one should lobby to have polls in H.S. athletic discontinued? The latter being a question.
It may be more accurate, but none more meaningful. At this point it is neither.

I'm fine with having a poll, but it'd be nice if the voters were more consistent and paid more attention. It's not a waste, but that doesn't mean it is a quality assessment either. I always check out polls no matter how ludicrous the rankings are. Like you, I find it fun to follow teams I am not privileged to know a whole lot about.
Panther Thunder Wrote:It may be more accurate, but none more meaningful. At this point it is neither.

I'm fine with having a poll, but it'd be nice if the voters were more consistent and paid more attention. It's not a waste, but that doesn't mean it is a quality assessment either. I always check out polls no matter how ludicrous the rankings are. Like you, I find it fun to follow teams I am not privileged to know a whole lot about.
May be like Politics????
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:May be like Politics????
Not a bad analogy :biggrin:
Panther Thunder Wrote:It may be more accurate, but none more meaningful. At this point it is neither.

I'm fine with having a poll, but it'd be nice if the voters were more consistent and paid more attention.

There is no need to get all upset with this poll because it is totally meaningless. What you have to understand is this is a coaches only poll, for those that are in the Coaches Association. They are the only ones who can vote in it. You have a great number of schools in eastern Kentucky whose coaches don't even belong to the coaches association, so they cant even vote to begin with. How many coaches in western Kentucky see teams in eastern Kentucky play? If I were to venture to guess, it would probably be NONE. How many teams out of eastern Kentucky ever venture out of their own regions for anyone to even see them. Only a handfull. If a team from eastern Kentucky gets in the poll , here is how it works a lot of the time. Coach from school A calls coach from school B, "You vote for me and I'll vote for you." What they need to do is just rename this poll for what it is. A poll for teams that are from a city starting with the letter "L". Take this whole thing with a grain of salt.
Bob Seger Wrote:There is no need to get all upset with this poll because it is totally meaningless. What you have to understand is this is a coaches only poll, for those that are in the Coaches Association. They are the only ones who can vote in it. You have a great number of schools in eastern Kentucky whose coaches don't even belong to the coaches association, so they cant even vote to begin with. How many coaches in western Kentucky see teams in eastern Kentucky play? If I were to venture to guess, it would probably be NONE. How many teams out of eastern Kentucky ever venture out of their own regions for anyone to even see them. Only a handfull. If a team from eastern Kentucky gets in the poll , here is how it works a lot of the time. Coach from school A calls coach from school B, "You vote for me and I'll vote for you." What they need to do is just rename this poll for what it is. A poll for teams that are from a city starting with the letter "L". Take this whole thing with a grain of salt.
Bobby could we get a difference in frame of reference if we could shake these 25 up,put in a few and do the old switch-a-roo. They better not mess with the four teams I mentioned earlier. Or somebody will be sorry. I want them in a pool.:biggrin:
Agreed, pointless Polls

Campbell County was one out away from beating #7 PRP, and has already beat #20 Beechwood and (HM) Dixie.

Best team IMO in NKY is Ryle, and they are not mentioned????
I want to preface the comments of this post by stating that I fully understand that,Polls are meaningless. There are numerous varibles that exist which have a bearing on the information presented in them. For example:number of games played,quality of schedule and the list could be endless. I am in no way suggesting that one team is better or will finish the season with greater success than another. I am merely noting an observation made after less than one forth of the season has been played. It is very-very very early. My obversation is that Lawrence has given up but one run at this point in time. It is certainly a stat. to watch if nothing else. The errors and defense are the primary consideration. It is not hard to not make errors if you are not getting balls to play. You don't get balls to play when you have an All-American,D1 signee who is a legit pro prospect. When you add a pretty decent support staff you have low scoring defensive games.
Ashland Blazer?
LClion4life Wrote:Ashland Blazer?
Blazer gave up 4 to Fleming co. I believe. I did not do the whole state just the Coach's poll top 25. I have heard that Blazer will be tough,in a region with Boyd Co. East Carter may just be the sleeper,that will turn front runner. I think they have 4-5 pitchers although I have personally only seen a coulpe.
The top 25 looks good to me, Pikeville is underrated I think. Lawrence preseason #9 drop to 10 not sure how with a 5-0 record and outscoring opponents 33-1. Can someone explain? It is very early still.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:The top 25 looks good to me, Pikeville is underrated I think. Lawrence preseason #9 drop to 10 not sure how with a 5-0 record and outscoring opponents 33-1. Can someone explain? It is very early still.

Without sounding smart, what makes the top 25 look good to you? If you were guessing how many teams have you seen play, other than the ones that LC has played?

Because it's worthless as far as being an accurate guage. I thought that had been pretty well covered .
For the most part all of the good baseball teams are in there. Lexington Catholic should be really good this year I have seen them, and Harrison County as well they look good. Boyd County may be a 16th region sleeper in my mind because of their pitching staff. LC and Pikeville are clear front runners in 15th region.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Blazer gave up 4 to Fleming co. I believe. I did not do the whole state just the Coach's poll top 25. I have heard that Blazer will be tough,in a region with Boyd Co. East Carter may just be the sleeper,that will turn front runner. I think they have 4-5 pitchers although I have personally only seen a coulpe.

Fleming is better than what you think when they decide to play they can beat almost anyone in the 16th.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:For the most part all of the good baseball teams are in there. Lexington Catholic should be really good this year I have seen them, and Harrison County as well they look good. Boyd County may be a 16th region sleeper in my mind because of their pitching staff. LC and Pikeville are clear front runners in 15th region.

Boyd only beat Fairview 5-3. I don't know what happened there.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:For the most part all of the good baseball teams are in there. Lexington Catholic should be really good this year I have seen them, and Harrison County as well they look good. Boyd County may be a 16th region sleeper in my mind because of their pitching staff. LC and Pikeville are clear front runners in 15th region.

So then you're just like everyone else in that you have not seen enough teams play to make a determination either.
that is your opinion also. Yeah I haven't seen a lot of teams but really who has? I don't need to see every team out there to know that these are good teams. I'm not arguing with you over something stupid, just enjoy it geez.
I'd really like to see this poll become credible because every kid in the state looks at it every week, and so far it has only been a popularity contest? If they could somehow come up with a different way to vote on the poll or different people to vote on the pool, because obviously coaches will vote for their area before anybody for the recognition? That is just common sense. So I hope they can develop a committee or something that can really make the poll credible because some of those teams are way too low and their are quite a few that are way too high, but as of right now that's how it goes. It could be a completely different poll next week based on who will vote, and that doesn't seem credible to me?
lcgrad2002 Wrote:that is your opinion also. Yeah I haven't seen a lot of teams but really who has? I don't need to see every team out there to know that these are good teams. I'm not arguing with you over something stupid, just enjoy it geez.

Exactly my point. That was why I asked you to elaborate on why it "looks good to me".

Enjoy what?