Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston LeMaster named New East Ridge Head Coach
The student/athletes at ERHS deserve the best teachers and coaches that can be attracted to their school as should every school. The boys basketball team will now have their fourth coach before the school is 10 years old. Since the school opened they have a record of 137-97 overall. Less than half those wins are within the 15th region (64). If you look at the coaching changes in all sports it looks like a revolving door. I don't think anyone knows who is coming and going. If you take a job at ER you better rent instead of buying a house because the track record shows that you won't be there long. The students are talented but the adults keep getting in their way.
Excellent post hypersport, you hit the nail directly on the head.
2002-2011..this is the 5th coach since the school was built...
I do hope that the adm, community, players and parents will support this coach, so the revolving door will end.
Help me with the fifth coach. I can only think of Hurley, Ratliff, Justice, and now LeMaster. Was May a head coach there as well.
yeah, denny paul may was the fifth
Bad hire for ER in my opinion. Im sure there were more worthy, deserving applicants. The guy doesnt even have a teaching degree.
Cool hire for ER, It will most likely get bball jump started with some exitement this winter
VoR_58 Wrote:Bad hire for ER in my opinion. Im sure there were more worthy, deserving applicants. The guy doesnt even have a teaching degree.

Doesn't matter around here. Who needs an education when you can compete for a district title banner!
Good coaches are good teachers. I think coaching is the ultimate in teaching because you are taking your philosophy and matching it against others with the same rules. Score is kept and there is a winner. The problem with education is that we expect a coach to be a full time coach and a full time teacher. It is practically impossible to be both at a high level because of the demands. Coaching and athletics may not be the most important thing that goes on in the schools but the last time I checked there is not a show called Academic Overtime on WYMT. How many times have you had everyone over to watch Jeopardy the Championship. Hire coaches to coach and teachers to teach.
I think that is what the student/athlete deserves. Other states are doing it and it seems to be working for them.
Real Badman Wrote:Lol, you sir have made my day worth waking up for. Dunno who this LeMaster guy is, don't really care, but Landon Slone lol. If his coaching career is anything like his playing one, I suspect he'd coach half a season.

Seriously, what do you do sit on here waiting on these guys who go and play a little college ball to fail so that you can take a jab at 'em? You must be one of those guys who couldn't cut it high school and never made it to college. Yep, one real bad man. I can tell you that when one of these daddy's find you, you won't be quit so quick to cut on a kid. Things like this have a way of coming back to you.
I agree 100% with hypersport. Student athletes spend WAY more time with the coaches of the sport they are playing, than with the teachers of any subject. I know for me personally, I learned ALOT more from my coaches growing up, than I did from my teachers. And thats absolutely NOT a knock on the teachers, because I do have a bach. degree, so I am educated.
The coach is in place. It is our duty as fans to support him 100% until we have a reason to be suspect of his ability to lead the Warriors.
All levels of participants from players to administrators are reading our post. I like the scene in Hoosiers when coach is introducing the team and they are chanting for Jimmy. He interrupts and said,"This is your team". Unless you are grinding an axe against ER then remember he is "Our Coach" and not anyone else. So let's put this to rest and cheer on the Warriors and their new head coach. I think he will work his behind off because he wants to coach and to leave the security of central Ky. where he is more well known to come here tells me that what ever the reason he accepted this positon--- he wants to make a difference. Where can we go from here but up?
I couldn't disagree more with what has been said here.... Coaches are supposed to be someone these kids can look up too. Coaching isn't just about winning... sure its nice to win but any coach who says winning is everything is destined to fail... you see schools go through ups and downs its part of the process. As a coach you should be a role model for the players, you should be developing their talents, make basketball fun for them, and most important have them grow into young adults. Basketball should be a life lesson...
ifyasmell Wrote:I couldn't disagree more with what has been said here.... Coaches are supposed to be someone these kids can look up too. Coaching isn't just about winning... sure its nice to win but any coach who says winning is everything is destined to fail... you see schools go through ups and downs its part of the process. As a coach you should be a role model for the players, you should be developing their talents, make basketball fun for them, and most important have them grow into young adults. Basketball should be a life lesson...

Well said, I agree whole with this.
hypersport Wrote:The coach is in place. It is our duty as fans to support him 100% until we have a reason to be suspect of his ability to lead the Warriors.
All levels of participants from players to administrators are reading our post. I like the scene in Hoosiers when coach is introducing the team and they are chanting for Jimmy. He interrupts and said,"This is your team". Unless you are grinding an axe against ER then remember he is "Our Coach" and not anyone else. So let's put this to rest and cheer on the Warriors and their new head coach. I think he will work his behind off because he wants to coach and to leave the security of central Ky. where he is more well known to come here tells me that what ever the reason he accepted this positon--- he wants to make a difference. Where can we go from here but up?

:Clap:
ifyasmell Wrote:I couldn't disagree more with what has been said here.... Coaches are supposed to be someone these kids can look up too. Coaching isn't just about winning... sure its nice to win but any coach who says winning is everything is destined to fail... you see schools go through ups and downs its part of the process. As a coach you should be a role model for the players, you should be developing their talents, make basketball fun for them, and most important have them grow into young adults. Basketball should be a life lesson...

:Clap:
I know from when I played my coach was someone I looked up too, and after I was out of school I could call him a dear friend, it was a real blow when he passed away a few years ago. Coaches should be these kids role models because during the season they spend a lot of time with the coach not only learning about sports, but about life lessons too, that you'll carry with you.