Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL: Saints defense had 'bounty' fund
EW YORK -- New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, the NFL said Friday. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

The NFL said the pool amounts reached their height of $50,000 or more in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved in the program and that it was administered by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with the knowledge of coach Sean Payton.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the league's investigation. Four former Redskins players, including defensive end Phillip Daniels, told The Washington Post that Williams had a similar system while serving as the Redskins' defensive coordinator.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the bounty program when directed to do so by team owner Tom Benson, while Payton was aware of the allegations but did not pursue them or take steps to stop the "bounty" program, according to the investigation's findings.

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said in a statement. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/763860...m-nfl-says
As bad as the infamous New England Patriots' Spygate case was in 2007, no one got hurt except teams that lost close games. Placing a bounty on opponents is far worse.

According to an NFL investigation, New Orleans Saints players were rewarded from 2009-2011 for inflicting injuries on opposing players that resulted in them being removed from a game. A knockout was supposed to reward a defender $1.500; a "cart-off" was worth $1,000.

This story couldn't have come at a worse time for the Saints. The NFL wants to change the culture of the game by eliminating cheap shots and curtailing concussions. Retired players who suffered concussions in the NFL are suing the league. Studies continue to show how concussions cause more long-term damage than anyone in this sport realized.

To have a coach broker hits that are intended to damage the health of opponents can't, and won't, be tolerated. That's why I believe the penalty for this NFL crime will exceed the $750,000 fines and loss of a first-round draft pick that the Patriots were penalized in 2007. The Saints traded their first-round pick to the Patriots to move up to draft running back Mark Ingram in 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if the league takes away a second-round or third-round pick this year and a first-rounder next year.

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who has apologized for being ringreader of his pay-for-hit squad, could be suspended a couple of games next season and receive a large fine. Williams, now St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator, also had a similar pay-for-hit system while he was Washington Redskins defensive coordinator, the Washington Post reported Friday.

The people involved in the Saints' front office who allowed this to happen or didn't stop it when confronted with the possibility should also be fined severely and suspended.

Football is a sport that's violent enough. Having an incentive to hurt players can't be accepted. Commissioner Roger Goodell should deliberate this case and then make the biggest example out of the Saints so this offense won't be repeated. In Spygate, Goodell acted too quickly and did not penaltize the Patriots and Belichick as severely as he should have. Because Spygate happened early during the 2007 season, the Patriots and Belichick should have received a penalty beyond the fines during that season. A two- or three-game suspension of the head coach was warranted.

For a bounty, Saints defenders were encouraged to hurt opponents. Now, Goodell must make the Saints feel the pain for their actions over three seasons.

John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Follow Clayton on Twitter @ClaytonESPN
If you push an envelope for three years straight, you’re bound to end up with a very nasty paper cut.

That’s how I view what’s happening to the New Orleans Saints. The NFL announced Friday that the Saints ran a “bounty program’’ the past three seasons. The league says former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and anywhere from 22 to 27 players funded a program in which players were financially rewarded for inflicting injuries on opponents and for knocking them out of the game.

[+] Enlarge

Chuck Cook/US Presswire
Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and the Saints have reportedly drawn the ire of the league office in recent years.
The league also said general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the program when instructed to do so, and that coach Sean Payton was aware of the allegations but did not take any steps to stop the program.

If any of this comes as a surprise to you, it shouldn't. At various times, there have been subtle hints and reports about the Saints having a bounty program.

Although much of America has been consumed by the success story that has been the Saints in recent years -- the major role they played in the Gulf region recovering from Hurricane Katrina, the magical Super Bowl championship and the legend of Drew Brees -- that’s not the whole story of the Saints.

They have done some truly wonderful things, but they are not -- and have not been -- a perfect organization by any means. Around the league, they’re viewed by many as arrogant, and a lot of people think the Saints play by their own rules.

Even during the week they won the Super Bowl, they repeatedly infuriated league officials by doing whatever they pleased. They were an hour late for media day, something that’s unheard of. Tight end Jeremy Shockey failed to show for a media session later in the week, and the league stepped in and ordered team officials to go get Shockey immediately. Payton tried to skip the news conference the morning after the Super Bowl but was told by the league’s highest powers that he would be in huge trouble if he didn’t show. He grudgingly attended.

A lot of people around the league also think that Payton has unnecessarily run up the score on opponents. There also was a lawsuit brought by the team’s former security director that alleged Payton and assistant head coach Joe Vitt were “stealing’’ Vicodin pills, but that quietly went away. Williams, who left the Saints after last season to join the St. Louis Rams, is also viewed as arrogant by many around the NFL.

The perception around the league is that the Saints have been living on the edge, and not making a lot of friends in the process.

That kind of attitude can only come back to bite you, and that appears to be what’s happening now. The evidence of the bounty program has been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, and he’ll examine it to determine if there will be disciplinary action. That reportedly could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices.

If it’s all true -- the Saints were out to harm others and top team officials did nothing to stop it -- I’d look for Goodell to throw the book at the Saints. In the league office, this isn’t a beloved franchise like the Steelers, Giants or Packers. The Saints have angered some important people in recent years.

That means the penalties probably will be severe. But that’s what happens when you push the envelope too hard and for too long.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/...-be-severe
I hope they get hit with the book just because of this. This is plain stupid
^^Agreed. Don't like the Saints anyway. Wonder what Goodell will do...
It is my understanding that many teams do a bounty program like this and the NFL has known it for years and they are using this opportunity to send a strict message......so I see the Saints getting hit with a lot including Gregg Williams...
Personally i see know problem with it.
Take your panties off. Hitting is part of the game.
They all do this