Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup to play for 16th Region Title
Greenup is back in the championship game for only their second time since 2010. In Coach Logan's first four years he collected 3 region titles, and they haven't been dominant since. It shocks me because I thought he could he ultimately build a dynasty there and for the first four years it appeared as such. I realize his talent-level during that period was at a premium and I wonder if they had more to do with it, or is he just now getting that program back to an elite status after a drop-off in talent and pitching? They are in a tough region with Boyd, Ashland, Raceland, and now a few "non-factor" teams are on the map as well with big name arms. With the talent that comes through Boyd county on a yearly basis and the players coming over from WV, there is no reason for Ashland or Boyd county to ever not be the favorite. I think coach Logan has to rely on the talent coming in and out each year, and I'm glad to see him getting the players he needs to compete in that region. I think he is a future Hall of Fame coach. He should win the 16th and I hope they are able to win a few games in Lexington as well. With the upsets that have already happened so far, it could easily end up being a district championship rematch between Greenup and Russell. Greenup being able to host is a big advantage or them.
Who came over from WV? Doesn't Greenup have a couple of kids that come over from OH? (no, I do not have a kid that plays nor am I a homer of any high school, I am a fan of high school athletics and I do have a little insight into things, none of which make me an expert on anything, just an observation of mine)
washed up Wrote:Who came over from WV? Doesn't Greenup have a couple of kids that come over from OH? (no, I do not have a kid that plays nor am I a homer of any high school, I am a fan of high school athletics and I do have a little insight into things, none of which make me an expert on anything, just an observation of mine)

I am not talking about this or any particular team. I don't think anyone would argue against Ashland and Boyd having more talent from year to year than anyone else in the 16th. That's all I'm saying.
I would agree with you over the long run. Greenup has had some pretty good groups come through as well. I think this year revealed the Achilles in the Ashland program as being the lack of interest in the feeder systems. They have been blessed with quality youth programs. A lot of people have seen this day coming however as the baseball landscape has changed and the growing problem ignored. I have said before Logan puts in a lot of time and effort into improving kids and he has succeeded in that for the most part. Greenup this year is very sound defensively up the middle and I believe that is key for any successful team. 16th should be theirs for a couple of years.
I think the increased encouragement of youth soccer has played a role in the little league situation as well. There is no reason Ashland, Boyd, and Fairview shouldn't have good teams every year. I think seeing how things have gone in Logan's first 9 years is premonition into how it will probably be the entire time he is there. His first four years he was loaded with talent and won three region titles. After that he had a drop off and it took awhile to build it back up and now he'll enjoy that success for three or four years until it drops off again. Then it'll take him three or four years to build it back and so on and so on. Ashland and Boyd have the talent to where they should try and get more involved with the little league. I know the Ashland politics sometimes are funny about things like that but there is no reason the county can't have a good feeder system. Programs in all sports are going backwards. It's becoming a trend to where kids are waiting until they are freshman before they learn solid fundamentals. So coaches are having to take time away from other things to reteach these kids the proper way to do things and by the time the season starts they are having to rush to get everything in. I know several programs this year where their pitchers didn't throw off of an elevated surface until the first game of the season, and because of the weather a lot of schools' first time on the field was that same first game.