Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Kentucky Sports Radio Effect
Before I start this thread and my PM box fills up with KSR Haters telling me how stupid I am for following Matt Jones, at least read my argument and go from there.

I follow the website site, listen everyday from 10am-12pm to the daily radio show, listen to the Matt Jones podcast as well as the Football podcast and Freddie Maggard podcasts. On game day, I listen to the Kennedy's Wildcat Den KSR Pre-game show and the Local Toyota Dealers Post-game show.

Not so much for their vast knowledge of sports, but more for the entertainment value. But, on occasion... we do get very solid news from Matt, Ryan, Drew and Shannon.

I do not always agree with Matt Jones, but he get solid information on just about all things UK, U of L and other Kentucky news. And something that gets overlooked, KSR does break the stories before most other media outlets.

So here's what I'm getting at...... When I'm talking to people about sports or they try to start a conversation about sports with me, and they don't listen or follow KSR, I can't deal with them. I've even walked away from people that I know who think they are telling me breaking news, but it was reported on KSR like two weeks ago. But, IMO, what makes it worse is when that person won't listen to KSR.

Nowadays, we are so connected and information travels so fast... if you don't keep up with your team on a daily basis, you are left out. KSR will probably never make it on the SEC Network or any other national outlet, but they have a great show that is entertaining and does provide accurate information.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
KSR sucks.
99 percent of there articles are opinion pieces or stats that anybody can easily look up. And let's not forget about the onion like articles posted daily.
IMO they're one of the biggest problem with UK football. They keep kissing Mitchs ass to keep there sources intact to be that "first" story.
Let's not forget the flaming liberal part of it all that make it much to hard to bear.

I hope and pray someone with enough want to starts there own network around kentucky sports that could get the same insider knowledge. It would blow KSR out of the water within days if they stay away from politics and focus on actual stories.
I'll never be a fan no matter what they do. They can keep there website and radio show and if I want info, I'll simply go on Twitter and find it in 3 seconds
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:KSR sucks.
99 percent of there articles are opinion pieces or stats that anybody can easily look up. And let's not forget about the onion like articles posted daily.
IMO they're one of the biggest problem with UK football. They keep kissing Mitchs ass to keep there sources intact to be that "first" story.
Let's not forget the flaming liberal part of it all that make it much to hard to bear.

I hope and pray someone with enough want to starts there own network around kentucky sports that could get the same insider knowledge. It would blow KSR out of the water within days if they stay away from politics and focus on actual stories.
I'll never be a fan no matter what they do. They can keep there website and radio show and if I want info, I'll simply go on Twitter and find it in 3 seconds

I wouldn't say 99% of their articles are opinions.... more about 40%.
I like KSR for their entertainment value. Adding Freddie Maggard helps with their validity. I do dislike how Matt Jones is gaining notoriety for a potential side-career with politics. He gives his opinions but I do think they are fair. He is the kind of avid liberal I can deal with. For example, on the KSR radio show one time he was talking about the time he considered running for Senate as a Democrat. He met with prominent donors and KY Democratic leadership. One of the first questions he said they asked him was "How do we destroy the Christians?" The premise of the question he went on to explain was that if they could convert the Christians to liberalism or completely silence them, then they would own Kentucky. Basically, Christians are keeping Republicans in office. Matt Jones went on to say that it was at that moment he realized that anything he would do in politics would have to be at the national level or in journalism/TV and wanted nothing to do with local or state offices. He is obviously a liberal because he goes to places like Fancy Farm and makes statements that energize the Democrat fan base like "We should be more vocal in the rural communities about social issues because we are on the right side of history"

I respect that he cares but we disagree politically. His show however is hilarious and adding Freddie Maggard gives them some validity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And its usually not coated with pounds of sugar! Drew Franklin nailed it in the Bulls Eye with his analysis of the Florida game....or should I say Massacre in the Swamp...4 years of Mark Stoops and this is what we have??? Thanks Mitch for the great job you have done???
After seeing this thread again, I went to KSR this morning and the first thing on there was titled "hire art briles and lose me" lololol.
Who is this loser? Brian the intern lol.
You have got to be kidding me.
Who does this dumba** think he is. I guarantee you he's one of the same rejects that said we shouldn't take petrino because of his baggage.
It's complete stupid rejects like this guy writing why UK will never be great.
Winning is ALL THAT MATTERS. That is it.
Damn, one article and the site already pissed me off. I couldn't do it everyday.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:After seeing this thread again, I went to KSR this morning and the first thing on there was titled "hire art briles and lose me" lololol.
Who is this loser? Brian the intern lol.
You have got to be kidding me.
Who does this dumba** think he is. I guarantee you he's one of the same rejects that said we shouldn't take petrino because of his baggage.
It's complete stupid rejects like this guy writing why UK will never be great.
Winning is ALL THAT MATTERS. That is it.
Damn, one article and the site already pissed me off. I couldn't do it everyday.

If UK hired Art Briles, I would cease to be a UK football fan. Do you know what he allowed at Baylor? Yikes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:If UK hired Art Briles, I would cease to be a UK football fan. Do you know what he allowed at Baylor? Yikes!

No and quite frankly I don't care what happened. I know he had some of the best offensive teams in the country every year he was there.
Winning is all that matters. Period.
If you quit being a fan it doesn't matter. Fans are at least 80/20 like me. You and pulp are the only types that go to commonwealth in years like this.
People like me would sell out commonwealth of uk would spend the money to get a coach that would win Ball games.
Win. Win. Win. That's all that matters.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:No and quite frankly I don't care what happened. I know he had some of the best offensive teams in the country every year he was there.
If you quit being a fan it doesn't matter. Fans are at least 80/20 like me. You and pulp are the only types that go to commonwealth in years like this.
People like me would sell out commonwealth of uk would spend the money to get a coach that would win Ball games.

You and I will never agree on this. You cannot have a representative of your University be someone who knowingly allows rape on campus. Again, we will never agree.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Before I start this thread and my PM box fills up with KSR Haters telling me how stupid I am for following Matt Jones, at least read my argument and go from there.

I follow the website site, listen everyday from 10am-12pm to the daily radio show, listen to the Matt Jones podcast as well as the Football podcast and Freddie Maggard podcasts. On game day, I listen to the Kennedy's Wildcat Den KSR Pre-game show and the Local Toyota Dealers Post-game show.

Not so much for their vast knowledge of sports, but more for the entertainment value. But, on occasion... we do get very solid news from Matt, Ryan, Drew and Shannon.

I do not always agree with Matt Jones, but he get solid information on just about all things UK, U of L and other Kentucky news. And something that gets overlooked, KSR does break the stories before most other media outlets.

So here's what I'm getting at...... When I'm talking to people about sports or they try to start a conversation about sports with me, and they don't listen or follow KSR, I can't deal with them. I've even walked away from people that I know who think they are telling me breaking news, but it was reported on KSR like two weeks ago. But, IMO, what makes it worse is when that person won't listen to KSR.

Nowadays, we are so connected and information travels so fast... if you don't keep up with your team on a daily basis, you are left out. KSR will probably never make it on the SEC Network or any other national outlet, but they have a great show that is entertaining and does provide accurate information.
I use to listen to there show everyday. Two years ago I called in and asked Matt to explain why Mark Stoops was a good Football Coach. I was the bad Leon Caller. Matt pretty much attacked me and had nothing logical to say that would make me or anybody have faith in Mark Stoops. IMO Matt and his crew are boring. They know very little about football or basketball.
LWC Wrote:If UK hired Art Briles, I would cease to be a UK football fan. Do you know what he allowed at Baylor? Yikes!

That is a exaggeration.
KSR is garbage. They know very little about sports. And for a show called Kentucky SPORTS radio, they talk about everything other then sports 50% of the time.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Before I start this thread and my PM box fills up with KSR Haters telling me how stupid I am for following Matt Jones, at least read my argument and go from there.

Not so much for their vast knowledge of sports, but more for the entertainment value. But, on occasion... we do get very solid news from Matt, Ryan, Drew and

I'm going to say you are just a little bit obsessed with Matt Jones. I check his web site out a couple years ago and after reading a couple articles I decided that Matt and I had different believes. The one thing that I have admireded about him over the years is he has figured out how to make a living on the something the he is truely passionate about, and there is not many people who can say that.
insideinfo Wrote:I'm going to say you are just a little bit obsessed with Matt Jones. I check his web site out a couple years ago and after reading a couple articles I decided that Matt and I had different believes. The one thing that I have admireded about him over the years is he has figured out how to make a living on the something the he is truely passionate about, and there is not many people who can say that.

Nah.... I am with UK athletics.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:So here's what I'm getting at...... When I'm talking to people about sports or they try to start a conversation about sports with me, and they don't listen or follow KSR, I can't deal with them. I've even walked away from people that I know who think they are telling me breaking news, but it was reported on KSR like two weeks ago. But, IMO, what makes it worse is when that person won't listen to KSR.

That's pretty ignorant. There are plenty of other sources to get breaking news from regarding UK Sports. Kyle Tucker (formerly of the Courier Journal) now of SECCountry.com always breaks news quickly. Ben Roberts of the Herald Leader does a great job of breaking any recruiting news. The premium forums on Scout and Rivals (House of Blue) have several insiders that break news before KSR on many occasions.

Who cares if someone heard "breaking" news later than you. Doesn't mean you can't be a civil human being and actually discuss the topic with them.
Motley Wrote:That's pretty ignorant. There are plenty of other sources to get breaking news from regarding UK Sports. Kyle Tucker (formerly of the Courier Journal) now of SECCountry.com always breaks news quickly. Ben Roberts of the Herald Leader does a great job of breaking any recruiting news. The premium forums on Scout and Rivals (House of Blue) have several insiders that break news before KSR on many occasions.

Who cares if someone heard "breaking" news later than you. Doesn't mean you can't be a civil human being and actually discuss the topic with them.

It's not that I can't... most of the time, it's the way they do it.

They'll act like they have earth shaking news, when it's something minor that came out over a week ago.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:KSR sucks.

You mean like the Tom Leach report? It is exactly what you just described and receives about half the audience. I think your political eye take away a clear view of just how entertaining the show is.
dore20 Wrote:KSR is garbage. They know very little about sports. And for a show called Kentucky SPORTS radio, they talk about everything other then sports 50% of the time.

Imagine a UL fan not enjoying KSR.

And Ryan Lemond knowledge of uk basketball and sports in general is spot on./
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Nah.... I am with UK athletics.

There is a lot of fans that are just as fanatic as you, and some even more than you. The only difference is they are not consumed by Matt Jones.
I tried to give KSR a chance but Matt Jones ruins it for me. Take him away and I might give it another chance.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:No and quite frankly I don't care what happened. I know he had some of the best offensive teams in the country every year he was there.
Agree with everything in this post
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Imagine a UL fan not enjoying KSR.

And Ryan Lemond knowledge of uk basketball and sports in general is spot on./

I am a UK football fan. And even though I cheer for U of L basketball I still enjoy a good sports show. And KSR is not a good sports show/website. There isnt a single person on that show/website who has any clue what they are talking about when it comes to football. If any of them have any redeeming qualities it is Drew Franklin. He cracks me up sometimes.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You mean like the Tom Leach report? It is exactly what you just described and receives about half the audience. I think your political eye take away a clear view of just how entertaining the show is.

Leach is old and doesn't connect with the 18 to 34 audience is why he sucks. That, and he doesn't have a known website like ksr. That was a unfair assessment.
Somebody that know what they're doing could come in and out ksr out of business. I would love that.
dore20 Wrote:I am a UK football fan. And even though I cheer for U of L basketball I still enjoy a good sports show. And KSR is not a good sports show/website. There isnt a single person on that show/website who has any clue what they are talking about when it comes to football. If any of them have any redeeming qualities it is Drew Franklin. He cracks me up sometimes.

It's the #1 independent sports show in America for a reason. It puts all the UL shows to shame .
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Leach is old and doesn't connect with the 18 to 34 audience is why he sucks. That, and he doesn't have a known website like ksr. That was a unfair assessment.
Somebody that know what they're doing could come in and out ksr out of business. I would love that.

Plenty of sites and people have came and gone. They are #1 for a reason
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Plenty of sites and people have came and gone. They are #1 for a reason

Name three sites that have been created justo for UK sports coverage with articles and updates.

There haven't been any others. Someone could easily take them over with the right backing.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Name three sites that have been created justo for UK sports coverage with articles and updates.

There haven't been any others. Someone could easily take them over with the right backing.

Seaofblue
Kentuckysportsconnection
Wildcatbluenation
Wildcatinsider
Nationofblue