Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 10 - Powell County 4
Looks like Estill took the tournament again this year.:1: Although Powell about had an upset.:eek:
Powell held a lead for three innings 3-1 and a three run shot, by Radar in the fourth helped to give them a 6-3 lead after the fourth. Powell never was able to get back in the game.
Eddiroxsox02 Wrote:Looks like Estill took the tournament again this year.:1: Although Powell about had an upset.:eek:

Hate to quibble over stuff that doesn't
much matter...BUT... when one team
beats another 10-4 in softball, "about
had an upset" doesn't really apply. If
Powell had been ahead until the last
inning, and Estill had somehow scored an
improbable run...yes...but 10 to 4, with
Estill coasting the last three innings?
I don't think that's anything close to
"about an upset."
For Powell County an underdog team to be up 3-1 untill the 3rd inning, is to some an upset. Estill is ranked in the state and they are a very solid team. It was intense through the whole game. No team in the 14th region has scored 4 runs on estill county. Even though powell lost they made an accomplishment by getting that close.
well if you had've been at the game then you probably would know that it was "about an upset" Powell started off with the leadoff batter getting a very solid base hit. Powell came to play, and I think if it hadn't of been for that homerun they would have came very very close to winning ifnot actually pulling it out. But I'd hate to quibble over something that doesn't matter.
fake-u-out Wrote:well if you had've been at the game then you probably would know that it was "about an upset" Powell started off with the leadoff batter getting a very solid base hit. Powell came to play, and I think if it hadn't of been for that homerun they would have came very very close to winning ifnot actually pulling it out. But I'd hate to quibble over something that doesn't matter.

Sorry...10 to 4 is not today, was not yesterday, and will
not be tomorrow "about an upset." But, wouldn't it be
pretty to think so.
The Lady Pirates had the neers shook up. How many teams in this region have done that ?? One... POWELL CO. ! yeah they did win but they were expected to...nothin big just another win.... Good luck lady pirates in the region... make a HUGE UPSET!!!!
ballergurl32 Wrote:The Lady Pirates had the neers shook up. How many teams in this region have done that ?? One... POWELL CO. ! yeah they did win but they were expected to...nothin big just another win.... Good luck lady pirates in the region... make a HUGE UPSET!!!!

Look, I am not being critical of Powell County's team
or the effort they gave. Many times, an underdog comes
out focused, intense and determined. They jump out to
an early lead...but then, the superior team has another
gear that they can kick into to, which they do...and end
up winning going away. I don't consider this coming close
to an upset.
Estill has only played Owsley and Lee in the region. Everyone else is too far to drive. Powell is probably the next best team in the region. Nobody is taking that away from them. I don't know why some of Powell Co. team/fans are being so hostile. Estill didn't order district champ shirts before the game. I don't know who started that lie. I am a fan and I always get along with the Powell fans, etc, but some one the fans were kind of nasty the other night. Sad

Is it that Powell is nice to Estill only as long as they are winning????? :confused:
Estill and Powell need to get along. Neither one of us are accepted in the mountains. We are always going to be cheated if possible. It is kind of like they don't want us in the mountains and we don't have the number of students for it to be fair to us elsewhere. So, I think we all are in the same boat.
Ilovesoftball Wrote:Estill and Powell need to get along. Neither one of us are accepted in the mountains. We are always going to be cheated if possible. It is kind of like they don't want us in the mountains and we don't have the number of students for it to be fair to us elsewhere. So, I think we all are in the same boat.

I've seen this...up in Manchester a few years ago, I
referred to Estill Co. being in the mountains and got
quite an argument from several folks in a small cafe.
To the west, Estill opens to Richmond. However,
by demographic data, Estill IS "in the mountains." So
is Powell. We have little industry, high rates of poverty,
bedroom communities, still near or over 50% of over 25
population without a high school degree, etc. I hope we

all remember that athletic contests are not about who
is superior or inferior as human beings. Rivalries are
fun because they fill the games with an intensity and
passion and fan involvement that are special. I always
liked this: "Some may argue that one sport is better than
another: but I believe that sports are an opportunity to
have other human beings push us to excel." Powell pushes
Estill to excel and vice versa. Powell loves to beat
Estill and vice versa. Nothing at all wrong with that.
Thinking your worth as a human being is determined by the
final score of an athletic contest? Actually hating other
people because they play for a team of some other county?
Nothing much right about that.