Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Roster Cuts
The Bengals, along with all other NFL teams, made final cuts yesterday to get to their 53-man roster.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709020357/

The most notable of all the cuts was probably linebacker Ed Hartwell. Hartwell was the team's biggest free-agency addition off the offseason, and had been talked about after his signing as potentially starting for the Bengals this year. But he was unable to beat out any of the 3 starters at LB, and became expendable when the team signed former Redskin Lemar Marshall a couple weeks ago.

Other cuts included Kenderick Allen, another offseason FA signee, 2006 draft pick Reggie McNeal, and undrafted rookie Earl Everett, who was initially felt to be a post-draft steal. Also cut was backup QB Doug Johnson, who had been unimpressive in the preseason. The team then quickly traded a conditional 7th round pick for Rams QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So, what your thoughts on these roster cuts?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:The Bengals, along with all other NFL teams, made final cuts yesterday to get to their 53-man roster.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709020357/

The most notable of all the cuts was probably linebacker Ed Hartwell. Hartwell was the team's biggest free-agency addition off the offseason, and had been talked about after his signing as potentially starting for the Bengals this year. But he was unable to beat out any of the 3 starters at LB, and became expendable when the team signed former Redskin Lemar Marshall a couple weeks ago.

Other cuts included Kenderick Allen, another offseason FA signee, 2006 draft pick Reggie McNeal, and undrafted rookie Earl Everett, who was initially felt to be a post-draft steal. Also cut was backup QB Doug Johnson, who had been unimpressive in the preseason. The team then quickly traded a conditional 7th round pick for Rams QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So, what your thoughts on these roster cuts?

I could care less about a few of them, but I agree with Doug Johnson being cut, but Fitzpatrick won't see the field anyways. I'm not sure I agree with the two backers being cut, especially since they haven't even played a game yet. I think that they could have been a strong back-up, especially with Jeanty going down, but hopefully the addition of Marshall with help and just hope that none of the backers go down because I don't have a whole lot of trust in Caleb Miller.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:I could care less about a few of them, but I agree with Doug Johnson being cut, but Fitzpatrick won't see the field anyways. I'm not sure I agree with the two backers being cut, especially since they haven't even played a game yet. I think that they could have been a strong back-up, especially with Jeanty going down, but hopefully the addition of Marshall with help and just hope that none of the backers go down because I don't have a whole lot of trust in Caleb Miller.

I am really shocked about Hartwell being cut. Even if he couldn't crack the staring lineup, one would think that he would be an excellent backup for any of the LB positons, what with all his experience. Perhaps maybe they thought that he would cause trouble in the locker room out of frustration for not starting. I can't think of any other reason not to keep him around, other than saving money.

I was also a little surprised about Earl Everett. I really thought we had a steal after the draft, but I think injuries really derailed his chances. Fritz, you were at camp, what did you think about either one of these guys there?

BTW, I'm not exactly shedding a tear over Doug Johnson, but I know one thing: if Carson gets hurt, we're hosed...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I am really shocked about Hartwell being cut. Even if he couldn't crack the staring lineup, one would think that he would be an excellent backup for any of the LB positons, what with all his experience. Perhaps maybe they thought that he would cause trouble in the locker room out of frustration for not starting. I can't think of any other reason not to keep him around, other than saving money.

I was also a little surprised about Earl Everett. I really thought we had a steal after the draft, but I think injuries really derailed his chances. Fritz, you were at camp, what did you think about either one of these guys there?

BTW, I'm not exactly shedding a tear over Doug Johnson, but I know one thing: if Carson gets hurt, we're hosed...

Bite your tongue on that last thought, lock it up, and toss it real far into the ocean, because it'll never happen.

I was excited when I saw them in camp, because they looked like they brought an explosiveness that our defense has been missing. I'm really confused about them being cut, and not even being at the top of the depth chart.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
More Bengals roster changes...

The team cut 3 more players Sunday, and signed 3 guys that were just cut by their old teams.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709030334/

These new signees include a former 2006 3rd-round pick, LB Anthony Schlegel, and a 2007 5th-round pick in CB David Jones. Pretty high level picks to get cut so soon by their respective teams...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:More Bengals roster changes...

The team cut 3 more players Sunday, and signed 3 guys that were just cut by their old teams.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709030334/

These new signees include a former 2006 3rd-round pick, LB Anthony Schlegel, and a 2007 5th-round pick in CB David Jones. Pretty high level picks to get cut so soon by their respective teams...

I'm not getting all these moves this close to season, particularly cutting the backers and then Quincy Wilson, but these signings look good.
enter Byron Leftwich, lol...there were a BUNCH of people cut that surprised me..Leftwich would be a great backup for Cincy though..
More Cowbell Wrote:I am really shocked about Hartwell being cut. Even if he couldn't crack the staring lineup, one would think that he would be an excellent backup for any of the LB positons, what with all his experience. Perhaps maybe they thought that he would cause trouble in the locker room out of frustration for not starting. I can't think of any other reason not to keep him around, other than saving money.

TidesHoss32 Wrote:enter Byron Leftwich, lol...there were a BUNCH of people cut that surprised me..Leftwich would be a great backup for Cincy though..

Wonder who Leftwich will sign with? I agree, he would be an excellent backup for whatever team lands him. I still think he got a raw deal from the Jaguars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]