Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach!
John Derossett - prestonsburg
Phillip Haywood - belfry
Mike Holcomb - breathitt
Bill Letton - Lex. Cath
Ivan Mcglone - Russel
Old School Wrote:Why wouldn't he be mentioned, over the past 10 years his teams have gone 82-29 with 2 final four appearances, and two undefeated seasons. He also took a JC team that went 5-25 in the three years prior to his arrvial, and in a short three and half years Matney has coached JC to a 33-8 record.

What does lossing to Woodford Co. have to do with anything, can you name me a coach that has gone undefeated for his career? As far as the Paintsville game is concerned, Paintsville got the ball first and went 3 and out, then JC went 3 and out, Paintsville got the ball back and ran a couple of plays before throwing the 58 yard TD pass which happened with a little over 6 minutes left in the first qtr. JC then scored 7 TD's over the next 25 minutes of play, personally I don't consider that a slow start.

I know he has an awesome career record but thats not what this thread was intended for. It was for Coach of the Year. Not best coach of the last five years.
Hillard Howard at Letcher Central of course.. The cougars look like some of the pikeville teams he coached!!!
cougar_54 Wrote:Hillard Howard at Letcher Central of course.. The cougars look like some of the pikeville teams he coached!!!

Maybe some of the decent Pikeville teams but none of the really good ones which was about an every year thing. When he was at Pikeville that place was a powerhouse, winning state championships and sure lock in the State Semi's.
Phillip Haywood of Belfry, and Ivan Mcglone of Russell are two of the most respected coaches in the whole state, Mcglone got his 300th career win last week I think, and Haywood will be getting his next week when the Pirates Silence the Cardnials from Sheldon Clark... These guys get my votes....
I know what you mean about the good ones. Give us about 3 more years and we should be a powerhouse.
blackcat_student Wrote:I know he has an awesome career record but thats not what this thread was intended for. It was for Coach of the Year. Not best coach of the last five years.

BS your right, I read the thread title and did not pay close attention to the part about coach of the year. I was thinking about coaches and their careers, my bad.