Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who Would You Rate as the Best Players in 13th Region History ?
We've been lucky here in the 13th to watch a lot of very, very talented basketball players put their talents on display in our little SE KY neck of the woods?   Who would make your list of the best five(or six) all-time?   Does Reed make your list or are their others that you would rank higher?  My mind might change in  few years but right now I think if I were to pick six guys(because we want someone coming off the bench, don't we?), I would go with two Redhounds,  two Green Dragons,  a Tiger, and a Trojan .   More on that in a bit.

My list is certainly not exhaustive, and I know I am going to leave out some great players  but these are some of the best I've seen in person or watched on tape over the years:

Reed Sheppard

Peyton Broughton ( Saw the kid score 27 pts. in one quarter)

Andrew Taylor 

Rick Jones

Nick Sanford , a super, super  talent  and Cawood High School legend ;  NAIA All- American

Tony Pietrowski

Dinky Phipps ( the Dinkster could drop 50+ on yo a$$ on any given night ; great coach, too)

Fred Bishop (one of the greatest multiple sport athletes) , averaged a double-double throughout HS

Rodney Woods (Lone Jack  legend,   UT point guard under Ray Mears, HOF coach)

Shannon Hoskins ( split time with M.C. Napier and Clay Co.) ,    3,100+ pts.

Ben Franklin ( The Founding Father of OBI)

The Baptist Baller , Larry Gritton , 3,000+ points at OBI

Walt Allen

Todd Cox

Russ Chadwell

Marion Cluggish(led Corbin to state title in 1936 and played three years at UK  for Rupp)

But , I'm going with these as my top six(no particular order)

Frank Selvy(Corbin)  ;   Corbin legend , Furman legend ,  Mr 100 point game ,  first round NBA pick.

Jerry Bird(Corbin)  ;  UK's #22 jersey is retired and hanging from the rafters of Rupp for a reason, All-SEC his senior year

Richie Farmer (Clay Co.) ;   the best I ever watched in person. When Clay had to have a bucket it was Richie-time .

Wah Wah Jones (Harlan)  ;  Part of UK's "Fabulous Five, "  best athlete ever from this state.  Jersey retired in BOTH basketball & football at UK. Oh, for good measure, he won an Olympic Gold Medal.

Charles Thomas (Harlan) ,  over 3,300 pts at Harlan, Mr BB , sixth man on Minnesota's 1997 FF tem

Phil Cox (Cawood)  ,   Cawood legend, Mr Basketball , 4- year starter at Vanderbilt. If I need a long-range jumper to go in, Phil Cox is who I want to take the shot.  Dude was $$$$$$ !!!

Can you beat my six?    Who would you rank  as the 13th region's all time greatest players ?  Maybe some of your greats are not even on my list.  Let's see your hand. You holdin' or foldin '  ????
I will rate only the players I have seen play, I have seen all the greats since around 1970. I might have a slight Harlan County bias, but feel like I am Reasonably fair with my picks..

1. Charles Thomas - Mr Basketball and 6th man on a power 5 final 4 team (Minnesota) as a freshman. Career cut short unfortunately at Minnesota for personal reasons.
2. Phil Cox - Mr Basketball, played 4 years at Vandy and left the all time leader scorer at Vandy…
3. Richie Farmer - Mr Basketball, won 11 sweet 16 games in career, played in 3 state championship games with one state title and 1 sweet 16 MVP - actually had the greatest high school career of all players I have seen… And also had a nice career for the Ky Wildcats..
4. Nick Sanford - First team All State, 4 time All American at LMU and scored over 3600 points for LMU during his 4 year career. Nick is probably the most gifted player with size and skills and the best offensive player I have seen during my years as a 13th fan. I believe he could have played and started for any power 5 team in America and played very well..
5. Reed Shepherd - All Stater, All American with many entries in Ky HS basketball history record book - 3rd all time scorer, 2nd all time in assists, Number 1 all time in steals and also a member of the 1,000 rebound club…. I really Hope that Reed can lead his team to multiple wins in Sweet 16 next week and if he does and has a great career at Ky I believe he will climb up to the top spot in my player ranking all time in the 13th region…
6. Andrew Taylor - All Stater, top 5 or 6 all time scorer in Ky I think and has had a great career playing at Marshall University.

(03-08-2023, 10:28 PM)Black Bear Cuz Wrote: I will rate only the players I have seen play, I have seen all the greats since around 1970. I  might have a slight Harlan County bias, but feel like I am Reasonably fair with my picks..

1. Charles Thomas - Mr Basketball and 6th man on a power 5 final 4 team (Minnesota) as a freshman. Career cut short unfortunately at Minnesota for personal reasons. 
2. Phil Cox - Mr Basketball, played 4 years at Vandy and left the all time leader scorer at Vandy…
3. Richie Farmer - Mr Basketball, won 11 sweet 16 games in career, played in 3 state championship games with one state title and 1 sweet 16 MVP - actually had the greatest high school career of all players I have seen… And also had a nice career for the Ky Wildcats..
4. Nick Sanford - First team All State, 4 time All American at LMU and scored over 3600 points for LMU during his 4 year career. Nick is probably the most gifted player with size and skills and the best offensive player I have seen during my years as a 13th fan. I believe he could have played and started for any power 5 team in America and played very well..
5. Reed Shepherd - All Stater, All American with many entries in Ky HS basketball history record book - 3rd all time scorer, 2nd all time in assists, Number 1 all time in steals and also a member of the 1,000 rebound club…. I really Hope that Reed can lead his team to multiple wins in Sweet 16 next week and if he does and has a great career at Ky I believe he will climb up to the top spot in my player ranking all time in the 13th region…
6. Andrew Taylor - All Stater, top 5 or 6 all time scorer in Ky I think and has had a great career playing at Marshall University.
7. Rodney Woods - All stater and 4 year stater for the University of Tennessee 

(03-08-2023, 10:28 PM)Black Bear Cuz Wrote: I will rate only the players I have seen play, I have seen all the greats since around 1970. I  might have a slight Harlan County bias, but feel like I am Reasonably fair with my picks..

Black Bear, I LOVE your list!!! Absolutely couldn't go wrong with any of those six .

(03-08-2023, 11:07 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Black Bear, I  LOVE your list!!!  Absolutely couldn't go wrong with any of those six .

If I had gone with just the guys I saw play in person, I may very well have picked the same six you did.
Rodney Woods was passed over by Rupp at UK when he starred at Lone Jack in Bell County but was nothing but a thorn in UK’s side during his career at Tennessee. If there had been a 3 point shot back then he would have double dangerous because he could knock down shots from everywhere. He’s one of the best to ever come out of the 13th and is definitely in the top echelon of the great players from that region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Had there been a 3 pt line when Phil Cox played he may have averaged 35/game. Last 50 years…
Best Shooter-Phil Cox
Best All Around- Nick Sanford/Charles Thomas
Best Floor Leader/Winner-Richie Farmer…without Richie things wouldn’t have been nearly as easy for Chadwell.
(03-08-2023, 11:46 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Rodney Woods was passed over by Rupp at UK when he starred at Lone Jack in Bell County but was nothing but a thorn in UK’s side during his career at Tennessee. If there had been a 3 point shot back then he would have double dangerous because he could knock down shots from everywhere. He’s one of the best to ever come out of the 13th and is definitely in the top echelon of the great players from that region.
No doubt whatsoever!!!  One of the best ever.

(03-09-2023, 12:00 AM)nedreader Wrote: Had there been a 3 pt line when Phil Cox played he may have averaged 35/game.  Last 50 years…
Best Shooter-Phil Cox
Best All Around- Nick Sanford/Charles Thomas
Best Floor Leader/Winner-Richie Farmer…without Richie things wouldn’t have been nearly as easy for Chadwell.

Can't disagree with any of that. I think you are spot on with every point !!!
Here we go again. Duh like everyone don’t know already.
Rodney Woods (Lone Jack HS) played 3 years for Tennessee (‘72-‘75) and averaged just under 10 ppg and 7 assists. He led the SEC in assists all 3 of his years at Tennessee. He was a great point guard. I have heard but don’t know if the story is true that Rupp regretted passing over him when he was recruited. He’s probably the best point guard to ever come out of the 13th region. When you average 10 points and 7 assists it means you are directly responsible for producing 24 points per game for your team.
(03-09-2023, 09:39 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Rodney Woods (Lone Jack HS) played 3 years for Tennessee (‘72-‘75) and averaged just under 10 ppg and 7 assists. He led the SEC in assists all 3 of his years at Tennessee. He was a great point guard. I have heard but don’t know if the story is true that Rupp regretted passing over him when he was recruited. He’s probably the best point guard to ever come out of the 13th region. When you average 10 points and 7 assists it means you are directly responsible for producing 24 points per game for your team.

Correct. Every time he dished out a dime to Ernie or Bernie in '74-'75 and I had to hear another "BOTTOM" from  UT play-by-play man , John Ward, I died a little more inside.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
Not all these would probably be considered all time greats but definitely a few of the all time great 13th region scoring performances in the state tournament.

What say you Old School?

Bo Roadan (Corbin)
Scored 42 points against Knott Central in the 1991 State Tournament

Mark Hyden (Corbin)
Scored 34 points against Trigg County in the 1997 State Tournament

Josh Crawford (Corbin)
Scored 33 points against Lou Eastern in the 2009 State Tournament

Rick Jones (Corbin)
Scored 30 points against Trigg County in the 1997 State Tournament
(03-09-2023, 10:50 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Not all these would probably be considered all time greats but definitely a few of the all time great 13th region scoring performances in the state tournament.

What say you Old School?

Bo Roadan (Corbin)
Scored 42 points against Knott Central in the 1991 State Tournament

Mark Hyden (Corbin)
Scored 34 points against Trigg County in the 1997 State Tournament

Josh Crawford (Corbin)
Scored 33 points against Lou Eastern in the 2009 State Tournament

Rick Jones (Corbin)
Scored 30 points against Trigg County in the 1997 State Tournament

Absolutely.  All very, very good players.  Sad that Hyden and Jones made such poor choices in life after high school.
[quote="Black Bear Cuz" pid='2399606' dateline='1678325310']
I will rate only the players I have seen play, I have seen all the greats since around 1970. I might have a slight Harlan County bias, but feel like I am Reasonably fair with my picks..

[quote="Black Bear Cuz" pid="2399606" dateline="1678325310"]
I will rate only the players I have seen play, I have seen all the greats since around 1970. I  might have a slight Harlan County bias, but feel like I am Reasonably fair with my picks..

Great list. I would probably have all those guys on my top 10. I usually start with Sanford though.
I'd add Lawrence Buell, from Middlesboro, and probably Todd Cox, of Harlan. I also always include Wah Wah Jones, of Harlan, even though I never saw him play. Hard to argue with his stats and accomplishments.
(03-10-2023, 12:31 AM)HCS Wrote:

Great list. I would probably have all those guys on my top 10. I usually start with Sanford though.
I'd add Lawrence Buell, from Middlesboro, and probably Todd Cox, of Harlan. I also always include Wah Wah Jones, of Harlan, even though I never saw him play. Hard to argue with his stats and accomplishments.

Wah Wah has to be on any list of 13th greats. An all-time GREAT multi--sport athlete.  Played BBall for Rupp and football for Bear Bryant. The only UK great to have his jersey retired at UK in two sports. Oh, and he also played baseball and ran track at UK and, just for good measure,  won a US Olympic Gold Medal... are you freaking kidding me? lol   

Fred Bishop of Pineville was also a great multi-sport athlete.  Averaged a double-double during his HS career at Pineville and went on to play football for Fran Curci at UK.
Wah Wah Jones has to be the most decorated 13th region player of all time! Wah Wah and Frank Selvy both accomplished more than any other 13 region players I would guess..

Outside my top 7 a few guys that were tremendous athletes and players were Lawrence Buell, Russ Chadwell, Garrett Gregory (2 time All American at Cumberland College) Todd Cox, Rick Jones (Jones played his last year at Scott County) Walt Allen - Mr basketball, but not sure he played in the 13th region, Fred Bishop and Trent Noah will be on this list when he finishes his career next year at HC and maybe a little higher after his college career is done

So the top 10 players all time from the 13th region would look like this.

1. Wah Wah Jones
2. Frank Selvy
3. Jerry Bird
4. Reed Shepherd (soon to be Mr basketball)
5. Charles Thomas
6. Phil Cox
7. Richie Farmer
8. Nick Sanford
9. Andrew Taylor
10. Rodney Woods

This would be my top 10, what would be yours ?
(03-10-2023, 03:48 AM)Black Bear Cuz Wrote: Wah Wah Jones has to be the most decorated 13th region player of all time! Wah Wah and Frank Selvy both accomplished more than any other 13 region players  I would guess..

Outside my top 7 a few  guys that were tremendous athletes and players were Lawrence Buell, Russ Chadwell, Garrett Gregory (2 time All American at Cumberland College) Todd Cox, Rick Jones (Jones played his last year at Scott County) Walt Allen - Mr basketball, but not sure he played in the 13th region, Fred Bishop and Trent Noah will be on this list when he finishes his career next year at HC and maybe a little higher after his college career is done

So the top 10 players all time from the 13th region would look like this.

1. Wah Wah Jones
2. Frank Selvy
3. Jerry Bird
4. Reed Shepherd (soon to be Mr basketball)
5. Charles Thomas
6. Phil Cox
7. Richie Farmer
8. Nick Sanford
9. Andrew Taylor
10. Rodney Woods

This would be my top 10, what would be yours ?

Great list, Black Bear.   Couldn't argue with any of those.

Btw, although Richie was certainly the main man on those great Clay Co. teams of the 80's, Russ Chadwell was special , too. Probably the greatest vertical leap of any 13th region player I saw. Dude could jump out of the realm. So fun to watch.
(03-10-2023, 05:55 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Btw, although Richie was certainly the main man on those great Clay Co. teams of the 80's, Russ Chadwell was special , too. Probably the greatest vertical leap of any 13th region player I saw. Dude could jump out of the realm. So fun to watch.

If YouTube were a thing when Russ Chadwell played, I can't imagine the number of hits his videos would have had. I'd also imagine that the exposure he'd have gotten from his highlights would have resulted in him getting attention from more schools (despite the fact that he played at Austin Peay).
[-] The following 2 users Like Cactus Jack's post:
  • Old School Hound, Van Hagar
Richie Farmer was the best to play high school basketball in the Mountains.
(03-11-2023, 05:14 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 05:55 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Btw, although Richie was certainly the main man on those great Clay Co. teams of the 80's, Russ Chadwell was special , too. Probably the greatest vertical leap of any 13th region player I saw. Dude could jump out of the realm. So fun to watch.

If YouTube were a thing when Russ Chadwell played, I can't imagine the number of hits his videos would have had. I'd also imagine that the exposure he'd have gotten from his highlights would have resulted in him getting attention from more schools (despite the fact that he played at Austin Peay).

Very few people mention Lawrence Buell, but he was also a tremendous leaper and great player. I'm not sure how Buell and Chadwell compare in the leaping department, but those are the two I always mention when the subject comes up.
(03-11-2023, 06:46 PM)HCS Wrote:
(03-11-2023, 05:14 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-10-2023, 05:55 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Btw, although Richie was certainly the main man on those great Clay Co. teams of the 80's, Russ Chadwell was special , too. Probably the greatest vertical leap of any 13th region player I saw. Dude could jump out of the realm. So fun to watch.

Very few people mention Lawrence Buell, but he was also a tremendous leaper and great player. I'm not sure how Buell and Chadwell compare in the leaping department, but those are the two I always mention when the subject comes up.
I agree Buell was underppreciated . Chadwell played on those great Clay teams and so he gets mentioned more.
I saw in person Chadwell finish second in the Myrtle Beach Beach Ball Classic dunk contest his senior year. Folks were sniggering when this 6-0, 150 pound white kid came out to compete with many of the best high school players in the country. They quit sniggering when he threw down the Jordan lean-in on his first dunk. Everick Sullivan who wound up at Louisville, and was built like Lebron at the time, won it, but Chadwell owned the crowd. Cactus Jack said something I’ve always said—if social media had existed when he played, he would have been one of the biggest stars ever. He also wound up as an All-American and national champion at Georgetown.

And Phil Cox—my senior year in high school, 1981, we (Clay Co.), beat Cawood by three in the regional championship game, despite Cox having somewhere in the 40s. Had the three been in effect, he would have probably had 60, and they would have won the region, because the dude didn’t shoot a lot of layups. He was just a sensational talent, and if I’m not mistaken when he graduated from Vandy he was their all-time leading scorer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Old School Hound
(03-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: And Phil Cox—my senior year in high school, 1981, we (Clay Co.), beat Cawood by three in the regional championship game, despite Cox having somewhere in the 40s. Had the three been in effect, he would have probably had 60, and they would have won the region, because the dude didn’t shoot a lot of layups. He was just a sensational talent, and if I’m not mistaken when he graduated from Vandy he was their all-time leading scorer.

My senior year also - I remember the sign at the Knox Central gym that said "Phil who?"
I think he had 46 and no doubt many of his shots were from 20-plus. He did draw quite a few fouls though and was among the SEC leaders in free throw shooting along with being the all-time leading scorer when he left.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-11-2023, 10:38 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I saw in person Chadwell finish second in the Myrtle Beach Beach Ball Classic dunk contest his senior year. Folks were sniggering when this 6-0, 150 pound white kid came out to compete with many of the best high school players in the country. They quit sniggering when he threw down the Jordan lean-in on his first dunk. Everick Sullivan who wound up at Louisville, and was built like Lebron at the time, won it, but Chadwell owned the crowd. Cactus Jack said something I’ve always said—if social media had existed when he played, he would have been one of the biggest stars ever.  He also wound up as an All-American and national champion at Georgetown.

And Phil Cox—my senior year in high school, 1981, we (Clay Co.), beat Cawood by three in the regional championship game, despite Cox having somewhere in the 40s. Had the three been in effect, he would have probably had 60, and they would have won the region, because the dude didn’t shoot a lot of layups. He was just a sensational talent, and if I’m not mistaken when he graduated from Vandy he was their all-time leading scorer.

Russ was something else. A one dude highlight film. If he'd played today, his highlights would have been all over you tube and social media. Phenomenal athlete. As much as those Richie-Russ-Russ teams were beating the snot out of us, I still loved watching those guys play. One of my favorite games was Richie's senior year when Clay came to Corbin to play a really strong Corbin team led by Bert King, a transfer from Middlesboro. I think Clay was ranked #1 and Corbin was somewhere in the top 20. Fans were standing four rows deep around the gym. Eddie Sutton walked in to a loud ovation. Richie took over from the get-go and Clay raced to a 30-point halftime lead. Just incredible. Corbin mounted a furious second half rally and cut the lead to 4 points midway in the fourth quarter. Clay held on and won by 10.  Great game! Great atmosphere!
This probably will generate snickers from anyone not around in the 80's to see him play, but I'd put Nick Sanford on the top of the list if we're talking what an individual player can do. Amazing athlete that could do it all and a shame that he never got to shine on a higher stage. I'd go modern era: Sanford, Farmer, Sheppard, Thomas, Cox, and Woods. Pre-1970's, I'd go with Selvy, Wah Wah, Cluggish, Bird, and Terry Mills.

The athletes in the mid-to-late 80's were just insane for Southeast Kentucky. Chadwell was amazing and Lawrence Buell wasn't far behind him. Don't forget about Timmy Cornett at Williamsburg. Crazy athletic dudes in the 13th for a few years.
Oh no, you’re dead on with Sanford, I think he was the most gifted player that I ever saw. Buell was unreal as well, and don’t forget Sean Pennington at Clay Co., not only great on the court, but was the all-time passing leader in Ky football when he graduated, a record since passed many times, but that was an era with much less passing. And don’t forget Lewis Morris and Derrick Gaffney at Cumberland. Clay beat their Cumberland team by one in the 85 region finals, then finished runner-up in the Sweet 16. And also the excellent trio of Tony Patterson, Tim Davis and Brent Bingham at Knox Central. That early to mid 80s through the early 90s was the golden era in the 13th.
(03-13-2023, 05:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Oh no, you’re dead on with Sanford, I think he was the most gifted player that I ever saw. Buell was unreal as well, and don’t forget Sean Pennington at Clay Co., not only great on the court, but was the all-time passing leader in Ky football when he graduated, a record since passed many times, but that was an era with much less passing. And don’t forget Lewis Morris and Derrick Gaffney at Cumberland. Clay beat their Cumberland team by one in the 85 region finals, then finished runner-up in the Sweet 16. And also the excellent trio of Tony Patterson, Tim Davis and Brent Bingham at Knox Central. That early to mid 80s through the early 90s was the golden era in the 13th.
Cumberland/Lynch was insane in the 80's.  Bruce Mitchell, Lewis Morris, Derrick Gaffney, Freddie Maggard, and Garrett Gregory in one community over the course of 6 or 7 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(03-13-2023, 03:19 PM)dodger Wrote: This probably will generate snickers from anyone not around in the 80's to see him play, but I'd put Nick Sanford on the top of the list if we're talking what an individual player can do.  Amazing athlete that could do it all and a shame that he never got to shine on a higher stage.  I'd go modern era: Sanford, Farmer, Sheppard, Thomas, Cox, and Woods.  Pre-1970's, I'd go with Selvy, Wah Wah, Cluggish, Bird, and Terry Mills.

The athletes in the mid-to-late 80's were just insane for Southeast Kentucky.  Chadwell was amazing and Lawrence Buell wasn't far behind him.  Don't forget about Timmy Cornett at Williamsburg.  Crazy athletic dudes in the 13th for a few years.

Great list of modern and pre-70's greats. Hard to disagree with any of those.  Terrific job!!!

Let me add another  '70's dandy, a terrific scorer for Whitley County --- Mr. Roger Richardson.  I think he wet on to become the all-time leading scorer at Cumberland College . Stupendous athlete.