Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Football
The Kentucky Football Coaches Association released a list of the candidates for Mr. Football.  Two player from LCA (Cutter Boley and Brady Hensley), two from Boyle County (Avery Bodner and Sage Dawson), Bell County's Daniel Thomas, CAL's Cole Hodge, Male's Max Gainey, Raceland's Noah Wallace and Mayfield's Zane Cartwright.  How could you possibly have a list of the best seniors in Kentucky without including Tutt Carrico from Owensboro Catholic? It's either politics or incompetence!

Let's just look at his stats!

Tutt Carrico
Season numbers
95 Receptions 
1922 yards (2nd all time in KY for yards in a season)
30 Touchdowns (He broke the State record for TD's in a season. The old record was 28)

22 Rushes 
140 yards

Defense
44 Solo Tackles
63 Assisted Tackles
107 total tackles
12 TFL
6 interceptions
1 Pick six

Championship Game
11 Receptions
322 yards
3 Touchdowns
5 Solo Tackles
4 Assisted 

It's a travesty that Tutt Carrico is left off this list.  I think the numbers speak for themselves!!!

Thoughts???  Who should or shouldn't be on the list?
[-] The following 2 users Like Ace in the Hole's post:
  • Holy Bull, pjdoug
Carrico should be on the list as well.  I guess Atwell winning 2A POY probably hurt him Carrico as the class POY is automatically a Mr. Football finalist...except Atwell being a Junior disqualifies him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes slotfade's post:
  • Ace in the Hole
I'll preface this with saying that Carrico probably should have made the list over some of the other guys that made it.

That said, Mr. Football is a career award, not just a single season. That's why only seniors are up for the award. He had a great year last year, but I guess not good enough to gain enough preseason hype for Mr. Football coming into this season.

The only player I can recall who has won Mr. Football solely based off of a single season performance was Corey Robinson, and his single season was better than 99% of high school QBs' entire careers.
I’d have give it to 99 Smith from Corbin. Best player I’ve saw in years.
Shogun, I was under the impression that Mr. Football was for the current year. If they look at the career how do you compare 4 year players to 5 year seniors like Cartwright? Doesn't this give him and other 5 year players a big advantage?
My understanding is it is just single season it’s never been career
[-] The following 1 user Likes Buford T Justice's post:
  • Ace in the Hole
I think you're right Buford. When they released the list of candidates they only included their season stats. I have searched for the requirements but have been unsuccessful in finding what the qualifications are. If anybody can enlighten me I would appreciate it.
I have always heard it was a career award and that's why only seniors can win it. In some other states, any class can win Mr. Football and some have had players win more than once in those states. I was wrong once before though. The Courier Journal list of the finalists includes season and career stats.

(12-06-2023, 05:13 PM)Ace in the Hole Wrote: Shogun, I was under the impression that Mr. Football was for the current year. If they look at the career how do you compare 4 year players to 5 year seniors like Cartwright?  Doesn't this give him and other 5 year players a big advantage?

It could for sure. Isaac Dixon wasn't a finalist in his senior season, then won the award in his 5th year. To be fair though, his 5th year was also his strongest year statistically.