Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals turn down trade offer for Chad Johnson
As reported on ESPN earlier today, Marvin Lewis has now confirmed that the Bengals did indeed reject a trade proposal from the Washington Redskins for Chad Johnson. In the deal, Cincy would receive Washington's first round pick this year (#21), and a third-rounder next year that could elevate to a second or first round pick if Johnson and the team meet certain unspecified goals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

What does everyone think about a potential deal like this? Apparently, there are several other teams interested in trading for Ocho Cinco, so more offers may be forthcoming.

It seems to me the main sticking point that may prevent a trade from happening is Johnson's contract. If Cincy trades him before June 1, they take an $8 million cap hit, which would only leave them about $2-3 million under for the 2008 season. This amount would obviously not be enough to sign all their draft picks, so the only way he gets traded before then is if several players agree to restructure their own contracts, and that just seems unlikely to me.

Maybe Washington drafts a receiver with their pick this year, then turns around and trades him (along with next year's draft pick) to the Bengals after June 1. After that time, the cap hit is only 4 million, which would be a lot easier to digest.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:As reported on ESPN earlier today, Marvin Lewis has now confirmed that the Bengals did indeed reject a trade proposal from the Washington Redskins for Chad Johnson. In the deal, Cincy would receive Washington's first round pick this year (#21), and a third-rounder next year that could elevate to a second or first round pick if Johnson and the team meet certain unspecified goals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

What does everyone think about a potential deal like this? Apparently, there are several other teams interested in trading for Ocho Cinco, so more offers may be forthcoming.

It seems to me the main sticking point that may prevent a trade from happening is Johnson's contract. If Cincy trades him before June 1, they take an $8 million cap hit, which would only leave them about $2-3 million under for the 2008 season. This amount would obviously not be enough to sign all their draft picks, so the only way he gets traded before then is if several players agree to restructure their own contracts, and that just seems unlikely to me.

Maybe Washington drafts a receiver with their pick this year, then turns around and trades him (along with next year's draft pick) to the Bengals after June 1. After that time, the cap hit is only 4 million, which would be a lot easier to digest.
Ya know, I liked Chad Johnson and wanted him to stay in Cincinnati. But after all this has gone on with him refusing to attend mandatory team meetings and workouts, I say get rid of the punk. The Cincinnati Bengals organization is stupid to not take a deal involving Chad. Why in the world would you waste all the money on Chad Johnson just to bench him and prove a point? It's retarded in my opinion. Take the draft picks that Washington offered, trade Chad, and move on. You can find great wide receivers out there to compliment TJ. Bonehead move in my opinion by the Bengals. But hey, it's the Bengals, what else do you expect?
BCF4L Wrote:Ya know, I liked Chad Johnson and wanted him to stay in Cincinnati. But after all this has gone on with him refusing to attend mandatory team meetings and workouts, I say get rid of the punk. The Cincinnati Bengals organization is stupid to not take a deal involving Chad. Why in the world would you waste all the money on Chad Johnson just to bench him and prove a point? It's retarded in my opinion. Take the draft picks that Washington offered, trade Chad, and move on. You can find great wide receivers out there to compliment TJ. Bonehead move in my opinion by the Bengals. But hey, it's the Bengals, what else do you expect?

I agree with you in that while I was once a Johnson supporter, I now hope that they do trade him, assuming we get an acceptable return.

However, I don't think it was necessarily stupid on the Bengals' part to turn this deal down. As I mentioned in my first post, the nature of how the NFL treats the salary cap really prevents any kind of deal, at least not until after June 1. If they traded him now, they take an $8 million cap hit, leaving them only some $2-3 million left to sign all their draft picks. Their first rounder they currently own (#9) will take way more than that, then if you get another first-rounder via trade you have to pay them big money too. The math just doesn't add up.

If the reason for not trading Johnson was just to spite him, then yeah, that would be pretty stupid on the team's part. But I think the salary cap issue is the main reason.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wish they would just trade him, I mean he's made it clear that he doesnt want to be a Bengal any longer
I used to like Ocho Cinco, he was my idol as a Bengal and now I've learned that hes just turned out to be a punk and I hope they get rid of his punk attitude. I used to be his #1 fan until he started all of this BS!!
I feel the same way most of you do, Chad Johnson was my favorite player on the Bengals, and to see the way he has been acting lately is nothing but total selfishness on his part. The Bengals need to get rid of him and get some defensive players in Cincy.
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree with you in that while I was once a Johnson supporter, I now hope that they do trade him, assuming we get an acceptable return.

However, I don't think it was necessarily stupid on the Bengals' part to turn this deal down. As I mentioned in my first post, the nature of how the NFL treats the salary cap really prevents any kind of deal, at least not until after June 1. If they traded him now, they take an $8 million cap hit, leaving them only some $2-3 million left to sign all their draft picks. Their first rounder they currently own (#9) will take way more than that, then if you get another first-rounder via trade you have to pay them big money too. The math just doesn't add up.

If the reason for not trading Johnson was just to spite him, then yeah, that would be pretty stupid on the team's part. But I think the salary cap issue is the main reason.

That makes total sense to me.