Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry - 14 Prestonsburg - 13
From what I was told Prestonsburg really got cheated out of this one. Not really sure how it went exactly, someone else can post more details, but I know Prestonsburg was up 14-13 in the 7th when Belfry's coach managed to persuade the head umpire to change a call, taking away two of the Blackcat's runs.
Congrats Belfry.
blackcat Wrote:From what I was told Prestonsburg really got cheated out of this one. Not really sure how it went exactly, someone else can post more details, but I know Prestonsburg was up 14-13 in the 7th when Belfry's coach managed to persuade the head umpire to change a call, taking away two of the Blackcat's runs.

This is NOT true! I wasn't directly in front of the "head umpire" so to speak from what I saw evidently a runner didn't touch home plate.... Well... 2 runs came in AFTER this and the pitcher threw to the catcher and the umpire called the inital runner out.... WHICH in turn reversed the following 2 runs....

Let me state, so I can change the topic... the score was 14-13 Belfry. BOTH teams were given the "shaft" so to speak. Especially when Belfry had a 12-5 lead in the top of the 5th... The 5th, 6th, and 7th inning too over an hour and a half to play......
This was one of the craziest games I do believe I have ever witnessed!!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:This is NOT true! I wasn't directly in front of the "head umpire" so to speak from what I saw evidently a runner didn't touch home plate.... Well... 2 runs came in AFTER this and the pitcher threw to the catcher and the umpire called the inital runner out.... WHICH in turn reversed the following 2 runs....

Let me state, so I can change the topic... the score was 14-13 Belfry. BOTH teams were given the "shaft" so to speak. Especially when Belfry had a 12-5 lead in the top of the 5th... The 5th, 6th, and 7th inning too over an hour and a half to play......
This was one of the craziest games I do believe I have ever witnessed!!!!

How many times over the years have you seen this call made....had to be a home game for Belfry...TongueirateSho
Now What Wrote:How many times over the years have you seen this call made....had to be a home game for Belfry...TongueirateSho

Yep, sure was!! LOL..... The only thing that the coached questioned was WHICH runner didn't touch home..... That is what he asked BOTH umpires.... NOT just 1....

this has to crush what little spirit the Blackcats had left...
I truly felt sorry for the P-Burg boys after this loss. They deserved a win in this one without a doubt. The Ump behind the plate acted as if he had never seen a Breaking ball in his life! I totally lost count of how many walks that were issued in this game! And to make a call that a player missed home plate is one thing but, to make that call in such a close Agonizing game that it was already, was Completely Ridiculous. These boys at this point in their season really needed this win. In My mind & I know in many others, P-Burg WON this game!
I know the responses will follow that the scoreboard said that Belfry won but, if you got an honest answer from most of their players & fans, they would agree, they escaped with a win that should have been a LOSS!
Some food for thought here: After Prestonsburg's coach notified the umpires they woudl be finishing the game under protest, the home place ump walked over to the Belfry dugout to let them now. When told that P-burg was protesting the game, the Belfry coach stated, very loudly, "Well, I don't blame them". The calls were horrendous both ways, and if this crew ever gets to call another game EVER, it is a travesty. Robert Staggs has been notified...
This game was the terrible from the first pitch.Both teams,fans,and baseball was cheated in this game by only one umpire,the one behind the plate! I was there,witnessed the entire game from start to finish.The umpire behind the plate not only can't see,but he also can't hear,doesn't remember what a curve looks like.It is a sad day when one umpire appoligizes for another,and how an umpire can effect a game so drastically.I take nothing away from Belfry,a good team,well coached,but Pburg on this night should have won this one.Can you imagine going on the road and having a ump take one from you?Belfry may have won on the scoreboard,but both teams were the loser in this one.Both teams played hard,but when both teams pitchers throw strikes and ump , is too blind to see get him out of the business!This Mr. Staggs is how you get pitchers hurt.It didn't matter who was on the mound early for pburg,because it was ball after ball to the ump,and he was wrong!Belfry benefited early from this,but later in the game they got a dose of this ump!The winner of this game was who could overcome the plate ump!Mr Staggs was contacted,and I wonder what can really be done about a umpire like this?Coachs are told to be calm,respectful,and watch out for Mr blue!He will toss you.But who tosses them?Who protects the kids all over Eastern Ky if a coach can't speak or protest?When you watch a kid put his heart into every pitch,throwing strikes,and i must add in this game it happened on both sides,and be torn down by one person who changed this game,what do you do?I am from Pburg,but Belfry and Pburg both lost in a way,they had to endure the system.Mr.Staggs take a closer look at what you put out there.Funny how when it was over how sorry everybody was,the other ump,Belfry coachs,and fans at the way this one was played,and this was very nice to hear from them,very classy.Smart enough to know this 4 and a half hour game was terrible from the first pitch!A beautiful Friday night for baseball,and two good baseball teams cheated from having fun.Mr.Staggs I know your job is tough,but when you get a complaint check it out,because it may be true.The worst part was the poor sportsmanship displayed by the ump himself,his last words were,"you should have played better",and laughed,and you expect coachs and players to walk away and say nothing?Coachs beware!This could have happened to any of you,and still can if you are the lucky team in the draw any given night.
All I know is this game is behind us and we get another chance this weekend. What was this umps name anyway? I had never herd of him or seen him before.
Worst game I have ever seen called from behind the plate. Chris Schoolcraft started on the mound and was throwing great but as stated before the ump had apparantly never seen a curveball, a majority of his broke on the outside corner and of course they were all called balls. Then unfortunately Belfry got a taste of the bad calls towards the end of the game. I have never in my life seen so many pitches called before they even hit the catchers mitt!! Seth Setser threw for awhile and I think he threw straight down the middle fast balls because he was given the most strike signs haha! It's a shame both ways because had there been a decent ump it would have been a very good and competitive game.
Belfry we'll see you on the 25th and can almost guarantee better umps, definately couldn't provide worse.
Cat Paws Wrote:Worst game I have ever seen called from behind the plate. Chris Schoolcraft started on the mound and was throwing great but as stated before the ump had apparantly never seen a curveball, a majority of his broke on the outside corner and of course they were all called balls. Then unfortunately Belfry got a taste of the bad calls towards the end of the game. I have never in my life seen so many pitches called before they even hit the catchers mitt!! Seth Setser threw for awhile and I think he threw straight down the middle fast balls because he was given the most strike signs haha! It's a shame both ways because had there been a decent ump it would have been a very good and competitive game.
Belfry we'll see you on the 25th and can almost guarantee better umps, definately couldn't provide worse.

Please believe me when I say that we were in NO way pleased with the way things went behind the plate either. As far as "providing" better umps.... You better hope they just don't send them to ya the way we get!!! LOL..... We never know who is calling until they arrive!!

Ring'Em Up Wrote:Are you the umpire in question? :biggrin:

REU,
Please don't feed the troll.... :dontthink
congrats Belfry
Not at all trashing Blue,because we have some very good umpires! I am in no way saying all are bad,and blue knows we all leave games complaining a little,that's baseball! This was just the worst and i usually never complain,but the worst for both teams of bright young baseball players who suffered.It is behind all of us now,and it is hard to explain how it was being there watching and not being able to stop what was going on to both teams.Both teams really just didn't know what to do next.I hope for the benefit of all players in eastern ky,the blue in question will take his position with a little more seriousness and try to do a little better job next time,and keep his comments to himself and not try to anger fans further and make a bad situation worse.Good luck to both Pburg and Belfry for the remainder of the season!