Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 16th Region
Who does everyone think is the best team in the 16th region?
probably SL
but it could change.
I thought Corbin and OBI would have been the top dogs this year! Sommerset has really shocked me how bad they have been! This region seems really watered down. Whoever comes out of it will have a hard time in state if they haven't played some really tough teams.
Somerset is not in the 16th BUB
frankie21 Wrote:Somerset is not in the 16th BUB

LOL, I know but it seems to keep slipping my mind because South plays them every year and Miece (I hope I spelled that right) is in the Middle school district with them. I know no excuse I should have thought of it when I mentioned it.
Haha it's all good man. Somerset actually used to be in the 16th, but it has been a while. It actually wasn't the 16th though, a bunch of other teams started up and they made the 16th region, but Somerset stayed where they were at
Da_truf Wrote:I thought Corbin and OBI would have been the top dogs this year! Sommerset has really shocked me how bad they have been! This region seems really watered down. Whoever comes out of it will have a hard time in state if they haven't played some really tough teams.

Why do you think Somerset is bad? They have Beaten South Laurel(2-0), Hazard(10-0), OBI(7-0), Estil Co.(6-1), North Laurel(6-0), Madison Southern(3-2) & Monticello while tying Corbin & SW Pulaski. Their losses have come to Henry Clay, Danville & twice to Mercer Co.

Corbin lost 7 starters from last year and were expected to have a little bit of a rebuilding year, I would put them in the top 3 in the region though.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Why do you think Somerset is bad? They have Beaten South Laurel(2-0), Hazard(10-0), OBI(7-0), Estil Co.(6-1), North Laurel(6-0), Madison Southern(3-2) & Monticello while tying Corbin & SW Pulaski. Their losses have come to Henry Clay, Danville & twice to Mercer Co.

Corbin lost 7 starters from last year and were expected to have a little bit of a rebuilding year, I would put them in the top 3 in the region though.

What I was meaning is I felt like they would be better than what their record shows. They are 7-4-2 right now. I thought they would be somewhere around 9-2-2 (just a guess) they have good players. I just thought they were a little behind where I thought they would be.

Corbin is in the same boat! I honestly think Corbin is the second best team in the region. But you watch a "Corbin" game and you expect a certain type of play and it just isn't there this year. I know they lost thier starters, but they still have a good team and I knew it would hurt them. I didn't think it would have hurt them this bad. They are not as physical as they were last year and that is "Corbin" soccer. But still I would put them 2nd in the region. The whole region is down this year. The strong teams are few and far between.
Da_truf Wrote:What I was meaning is I felt like they would be better than what their record shows. They are 7-4-2 right now. I thought they would be somewhere around 9-2-2 (just a guess) they have good players. I just thought they were a little behind where I thought they would be.

Corbin is in the same boat! I honestly think Corbin is the second best team in the region. But you watch a "Corbin" game and you expect a certain type of play and it just isn't there this year. I know they lost thier starters, but they still have a good team and I knew it would hurt them. I didn't think it would have hurt them this bad. They are not as physical as they were last year and that is "Corbin" soccer. But still I would put them 2nd in the region. The whole region is down this year. The strong teams are few and far between.

I believe you are right. Where is the region held this year?
I don't know where the region or the district is being held. I heard at south laurel, but I cannot confirm that.

But, back on the Corbin front. They lost to Ryle 2-0 this year. Ryle beat Montgomery Co.(#9 in the state) 4-1 this week. This shows that when Corbin comes to play they can. Also on when South Laurel played Montgomery Co. they lost 2-1. It was a close game. Both teams can play out of the region. They bad part is where there such a distance from school to school. These teams rarely play the big teams and when they get into state they don't have the experience to go deep in the tourney. I would love to see an area team go deep!
Da_truf Wrote:I don't know where the region or the district is being held. I heard at south laurel, but I cannot confirm that.

But, back on the Corbin front. They lost to Ryle 2-0 this year. Ryle beat Montgomery Co.(#9 in the state) 4-1 this week. This shows that when Corbin comes to play they can. Also on when South Laurel played Montgomery Co. they lost 2-1. It was a close game. Both teams can play out of the region. They bad part is where there such a distance from school to school. These teams rarely play the big teams and when they get into state they don't have the experience to go deep in the tourney. I would love to see an area team go deep!

Corbin should have gone further last year. They did not play very good against Boyle in the semi-state game, but were just a fluke deflected goal away from OT. Boyle then won their next game before losing in the final 4.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Corbin should have gone further last year. They did not play very good against Boyle in the semi-state game, but were just a fluke deflected goal away from OT. Boyle then won their next game before losing in the final 4.

Corbin has a great coach. But like South they don't get alot of play against top teams. Personal opinion if they had played teams that are in or around the top 25 they would be more prepared. I watched the South Laurel v. Montgomery game and South had more talent. They just hadn't played the agressive soccer to hang with them. Montgomery played together and South made alot of stupid mistakes. If Tyler Huff hadn't played a great game in the net they would have gotten spanked!