• 13(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 UK Football Recruiting
Cats pursuing Tennessee athlete McQuarters

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

Most of Kentucky's recruiting efforts in this current class are focused on the Wildcats' home state, Ohio and several states in the South. Tennessee is one state that has not been a major priority.

That doesn't mean the Wildcats are bypassing the Volunteer State. On the contrary, an offer just went out about two weeks ago in Tennessee.

Kentucky is one of the latest schools to get involved with Dejuan McQuarters, a 5-foot-10, 160-pound athlete from Memphis (Tenn.) Mitchell. McQuarters told Cats Illustrated he has "about ten" offers altogether, with schools like Air Force, Memphis, Middle Tennessee and UAB as some of the other schools on that list.

Chad Scott is the coach he has talked to from UK. Scott was in Memphis earlier in the spring evaluation period.

"He's a down to earth coach," McQuarters said. "I love him. He's a cool coach. Basically they like me as an athlete so I could play wide out and return [kicks]. He told me they love my film and they called my coach and let them know they were going to offer."

McQuarters does not have a scheduled visit to UK yet but he did say he plans to take a trip to Lexington sometime this summer.

While the SEC is a big selling point for UK with many recruits McQuarters said that will not be a decisive factor in his decision. That said, his current list of leaders might imply that he's likely to end up in the Southeastern Conference anyways.

"My favorites would be Kentucky, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Mississippi State," he said.

McQuarters has visited Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas State and Memphis so far. Both of the Mississippi schools impressed him, with the Rebels really blowing him away.

"I loved the (Ole Miss) campus. It's a great atmosphere. I went to the spring game and it was sold out," he said. "Mississippi State was cool. I like it. I've got a good relationship with the coaches."

Last fall as a junior McQuarters caught 42 passes for 850 yards and seven touchdowns. He had a punt return for a touchdown on special teams and on defense he picked off two passes and had 15 pass breakups.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507437
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
UK target Zanders knows Peveto well

Justin Rowland

Jacksonville (Fla.) Raines athlete Marvin Zanders was excited to learn he had an offer from Kentucky because it was his first from a school in the Southeastern Conference.

That wasn't the only reason he was excited. Bradley Dale Peveto is recruiting the 6-foot-1, 175-pound athlete for the Wildcats and Zanders knows him well.

"We've talked a good amount," Zanders said. "Coach Peveto actually coached my older brother at Middle Tennessee State so he's been known for for a little while. It was a great honor with him now coming down and recruiting me.

"I definitely know a little bit about him. He knows a little bit about me. I think it could be a great thing with him recruiting me."

Zanders and his brother both gave Peveto a call recently and the UK assistant explained just how he plans to go about the recruiting process.

"He just told me he was going to be honest and a straight shooter. He's going to keep it real with you and coach you up. He'll show you a lot of love and care and just do what a good coach is supposed to do," Zanders said. "We definitely think highly of coach Peveto."

The two-star prospect learned of the offer about two weeks ago and he has already planned a visit to Lexington. He will take a trip to Kentucky on June 10 and 11, and that will be his first time at the school.

It's likely that Zanders will camp with Kentucky for one day on that trip and then use the other day to just visit the school and check out the city.

Duke, Georgia Tech and Iowa State are the other BCS conference schools that have offered Zanders.

"I've got a top five," Zanders said. "It would be Duke, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kentucky and Wake Forest."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507726
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WR Williams will give Cats a chance to gain ground

Justin Rowland

Not too long ago Shakenneth Williams surfaced as a receiver target for the Wildcats. The Macon (Ga.) Rutland prospect has an offer and wants to visit Kentucky.

Williams plans to visit Kentucky and he's excited about the trip because of the research he has already done himself.

"I've looked it up on the internet and it seems like a great place to go. I'm excited to visit," Williams said.

However, Kentucky probably has some ground to make up. Williams acknowledged that a few schools might be higher on his list just because of the relationships he has, the length of time he has been recruited by certain coaches, and visits he has already taken.

"Vanderbilt, because they're special. That was my first offer," Williams said. "I went up there and I visited and chilled with all the coaches. That's a big part of why I would put Vanderbilt there.

"I don't have an offer from Georgia but I went to Georgia so I'd probably put them up there. Probably Mississippi State and Central Florida, too. That's about it. I'd put everybody else on about the same level."

Williams said it's entirely possible Kentucky could move to the top of his list with a good visit. His recruiter is Bradley Dale Peveto and while he has only had limited contact with the UK assistant, mostly through Twitter and Facebook, he's starting to get more information about UK.

"He's told me a lot," Williams said of Peveto. "Nothing major but some stuff about the school and the academics. What they look for and how they plan on making you into a better person. I like the school and what it offers education-wise. He's told me about the program and their test scores, everything like that. He's told me about the coaching staff, too.

"I've definitely got some interest in Kentucky."

Williams was primarily a receiver for Rutland last year but he also played strong safety and served as the school's backup quarterback. He totaled 67 receptions for 820 yards and nine touchdowns last year.

Williams said he plans to visit Kentucky, Clemson, South Carolina, Florida State and Alabama over the summer. Some of those visits may just be unofficials that amount to campus tours while others could be camps.

He does not plan to make a decision until after he takes some of his allotted official visits.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1507727
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The new Rivals 250 was released today and a couple of UK recruits made big gains!

Drew Barker jumped 36 spots to go from 153rd overall to 117th overall.

Mikel Horton leaped 78 spots to go from 209th overall to 131st overall.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Seward picks up UK offer, talks schools

Justin Rowland

Atlanta (Ga.) Westminster athlete Cameron Seward attended Kentucky's spring game several weeks ago and he told Cats Illustrated at the time that he was impressed by the experience.

Now that he's had some time to reflect on the trip even more, Seward is still impressed with UK.

"I think it was a positive trip. One thing that definitely stands out and that I remember is the fans. It was on the day of the spring game and the fan base and the intensity of the fans was at a very high level. That really stood out to me," Seward said.

So Seward was excited when he learned recently that UK wanted to offer him a scholarship.

Kentucky offered the 6-foot-1, 200-pound prospect as an outside linebacker, even though he's more of a skill position player at the high school level.

Derrick Ansley is handling a lot of UK's recruiting efforts in the Atlanta area and he's Seward's main recruiter.

"I've talked to him probably five or six times," Seward said. "A couple of times on the phone but mostly on Facebook and Twitter. He seems like a good guy.

"I'd say they're definitely still a school I'm interested in. I wouldn't say they're at the top of my list right now."

That honor belongs to Boston College, a school that has been recruiting him for as long and with as much intensity as any other. Seward has visited BC and felt good on campus. And Boston College has strong academic credentials that are appealing to the three-star prospect.

"Boston College is definitely up there at the top for me right now. They're up there alone right now I'd say. I'm actually expecting some other schools to come by in the last week of school for me to check me out."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508145
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Middleton getting attention from UK staff

Justin Rowland

Neal Brown is the Kentucky coach that's primarily responsible for recruiting the Wildcats' home grown talent.

The fact that other staff members are helping to recruit Adrian Middleton may just be a sign of how highly the UK coaches think of the Bowling Green native and rising senior at South Warren.

Kentucky, Indiana, Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville and Ohio State are among the schools that have visited South Warren during the spring to check out the 6-foot-4, 275-pound defensive tackle. Of those schools Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana have offered.

Brown, Jimmy Brumbaugh and D.J. Eliot have all had a hand in recruiting Middleton so far. But it's Brown who is doing the bulk of the world.

"He comes across as a nice guy," Middleton said. "He keeps it real with you. Coach Brumbaugh seems like a really nice guy, too. He knows what he's talking about."

Brumbaugh would be Middleton's position coach if he chooses Kentucky.

Middleton has taken two trips to UK. One was for the Kentucky-Auburn basketball game and the other was for the spring football game.

"I'm going back up there for a camp. I'm just not sure which one yet," he said. "I'm going to a Western (Kentucky) camp and I think I'm going to Indiana, too."

Middleton made it a point to emphasize that no school is standing out and he remains entirely open at this point in the process.

He does not plan to make a decision until after his senior season.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508144
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Safety Mike Edwards visits Lexington with parents

Ben Jones
CatsIllustrated.com Staff Writer

Mike Edwards still has a few more visits to make before making announcing his college decision this summer, but he can cross the first one off list after this week.

Edwards, a three-star safety from Winton Woods High School in Cincinnati, traveled to Lexington on Monday after school with his parents to visit the campus. He and his parents were both pleased with how the visit went.

"It was really good," he said. "Me and my parents liked it."

Edwards had already gotten to know most of Kentucky's coaches, but the visit to campus was an introduction most of them for his parents. They liked what they saw during their trip to Lexington.

"(My parents) said it was really good," Edwards said. "They said they could see me going there."

He was already comfortable with head coach Mark Stoops and most of his staff, and the trip reinforced what he'd been hearing throughout his recruitment. Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot gave him a better idea of how he'd fit within the Wildcats' defense.

"They just said they'd really like to have me," Edwards said. "They talked about the whole defense and how Coach Stoops has put a bunch of DBs in the league."

The highlight of the visit came just before they left. Edwards saw a video presentation comparing him to Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed, who played his senior season for the Hurricanes when Stoops was coaching defensive backs.

Edwards originally planned to announce his decision on April 20, at the Rivals Camp Series Presented by Under Armour in Cincinnati, along with four-star running back Mikel Horton. But his coaches and parents asked him to wait and take a visit to the school he was planning to commit to first.

He now expects to make his decision sometime in mid-June. Edwards plans on taking a visit to Louisville next week, and could also visit West Virginia and Nebraska before making his announcement.

Now that he and his parents have visited Lexington, he's one step closer to his announcement.

"There was nothing negative about it," Edwards said. "There was nothing we didn't like."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508521
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Madison committed to Texas Tech, intrigued by UK

Justin Rowland

Tevin Madison committed to Texas Tech only last month but as recent history is increasingly showing that doesn't mean much until Signing Day.

Madison's interest in the Red Raiders is holding firm. He believes the program is holding steady and moving in the right direction in the wake of Tommy Tuberville's departure. But the 5-foot-10, 160-pound receiver from Fayette County (Ala.) has seen a recent surge in interest and offers from other schools, including Kentucky.

"Right now (his commitment) is pretty set but the doors are still open," Madison told Cats Illustrated. "I really like Texas Tech's coaching staff and just their style of play. That's pretty much it. I'll take a trip there this summer. It'll be early this summer."

Memphis, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois and Jacksonville State are the other schools that have offered Madison recently. But the Kentucky offer is especially intriguing.

It's also an interesting offer given the fact that three UK assistants were coaching in Lubbock last year."

"Coach (Derrick) Ansley is recruiting me and I know he's told me about their offensive coordinator (Neal Brown)," he said. "Coach Ansley's a cool guy, a good guy.

"I'd say I have a little interest in Kentucky. I've always liked Kentucky ever since they had that (Andre) Woodson guy at quarterback. I liked him."

Madison doesn't plan on backing out of his Texas Tech pledge. Then again, he's not saying no, absolutely, to the other schools recruiting him.

Perhaps the most telling evidence of how open he is would be the fact that he wants to take all of his official visits in the fall or winter. He will visit Kentucky even before that.

"I think I'm coming up to Kentucky and some of my teammates are supposed to be coming up there with me. They're not really recruiting them yet because they're underclassmen," he said.

Last year Madison had 62 receptions for 1,166 yards and 17 receiving touchdowns. He returned two punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns, and on defense accounted for 64 tackles, five forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508644
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grainer's stock soaring with recent offers

Justin Rowland

The last two months have probably been two of the more hectic but exciting months Bailey Granier can remember.

In a period of just a few weeks the 6-foot-7, 320-pound tackle has put together a remarkable offer list that includes Alabama, Florida State, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and several mid-majors and FCS programs.

Maybe everyone should have been asking why he hadn't burst onto the scene earlier. Galliano (La.) South Lafourche is home to the three-star prospect and there just aren't many high school linemen with Granier's combination of height, reach and strength.

Contact with schools has been limited so far and when you talk to Granier you quickly get the impression that the recruiting process has been a lot to take in. He doesn't seem concerned with details about the schools recruiting him and he wants to keep everything simple for now, until he's ready to start narrowing things down.

"I'm not even sure who (the coaches recruiting him) are. It's all new to me and I haven't really contacted them a bunch," said Granier, who now has eleven scholarship offers to his credit.

He has done some research. Granier has taken early unofficial visits to Mississippi State, Louisiana Tech, Alabama, Tulane, Louisiana-Lafayette and Vanderbilt.

But when you ask him about favorites he bristles.

"I'm not one who really likes to talk about it. People ask and I don't want to say a bunch of different things. I do know I want to make a decision before my senior year starts," Granier said.

The offer from Kentucky was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

"I was in P.E. one day and my coach was like, 'A coach from Kentucky wants to speak with you,'" he said. "I was actually sick that day. Their coach told me I have an offer. He said he knows I'm not feeling well and he just wanted to let me know I have an offer from the University of Kentucky."

Bradley Dale Peveto is generally the Kentucky coach that has and will recruit the state of Louisiana for the Wildcats.

Granier said it's possible that he could visit Kentucky but he does not have any plans to yet.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508945
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarrett LaRubbio, a 6'5″ 260lb offensive guard from Lokota East High School in Liberty Township, Ohio has committed to the University of Kentucky. Another great get for Coach STOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. LaRubbio is the nation's No. 16 offensive guard and had offers from Nebraska, NC State, UNC, Pitt, Vandy, Washington, Wisconsin, ASU, etc
Nice get! We need to build that line up to give our QB's some protection, great job Coach Stoops and staff!
Ohio lineman LaRubbio picks UK

Justin Rowland

Liberty Township (Ohio) Lakota East offensive guard Jarrett LaRubbio verbally committed to Kentucky on Saturday morning. He is the first offensive lineman to commit to the Wildcats from the Class of 2014.

"I've been thinking about it for a little while now and I went to take a visit today," LaRubbio told Cats Illustrated on Saturday. "This morning I talked to coach (Mark) Stoops, coach (Vince) Marrow and coach (John) Schlarman and told them."

The coaches were a big factor in LaRubbio's choice.

"It was just me feeling comfortable with the coaches," he said. "We're all from Youngstown and have a lot of similarities. I felt really comfortable with them and also it's a good chance to play in the SEC.

"They're expecting me to come in and compete to play right away."

It's a big commitment for Kentucky on a number of levels. The 6-foot-5, 260-pound lineman is ranked the No. 16 guard in the nation, and his 5.7 Rivals Rating is indicative of a prospect that just missed out on four-star status.

Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt and Washington were among the other schools that had offered.

"It came down to Pitt, NC State and Kentucky, and then it was just NC State and Kentucky. I ended up choosing Kentucky," he said.

LaRubbio was planning to visit Wisconsin in early June but he will no longer take that trip or any other trips. He is solidly committed to UK.

The near four-star lineman said he's now close to 280 pounds, and cited his "physicality and toughness" as attributes that define him as a player.

LaRubbio added that he is getting to know lots of UK's other recruits and they have expressed how excited they are to have him on board.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509250
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Schools learning CB Webster's name

Justin Rowland

Kendarius Webster doesn't have the name recognition that some of the nation's top corners do, but he certainly has the list. Just about any school in the nation would accept his commitment.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound corner from Stockbridge, Ga., hasn't spoken publicly about recruiting much but part of that is because he's a recent arrival on the recruiting scene.

He did speak with Cats Illustrated this week, saying he's up to 16 offers and that plenty of college coaches stopped by his high school this spring.

Webster believes coaches started to recognize his ability when he played in the Rising Seniors game in Atlanta recently. That strong performance has propelled him to where he is today, with offers from Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Kentucky, Ole Miss, North Carolina and many others.

He has already visited Alabama, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt but Webster said no school is standing out. He plans to take his time with the process, so it's going to be a marathon and not a spring for the schools recruiting him.

"I know Kentucky has offered," Webster said this week. "Coach (Bradley Dale) Peveto is recruiting me and I've talked to him almost like once a week. He's a real cool coach. I haven't learned too much about them but I'm going to get on that. I do plan to visit."

He's just not sure when that visit might be. Webster expects to have a busy summer.

"Georgia, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Arkansas are probably recruiting me the hardest," he said.

Webster reiterated that he plans to make a late decision, likely after taking several official visits.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509193
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
That OG's film looked very impressive! Best thing about him though is that he goes from snap to whistle! I like him!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:That OG's film looked very impressive! Best thing about him though is that he goes from snap to whistle! I like him!

With this kid's upside I would say that he will probably be a Top 10 OG once he has finished his senior season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Former commit Denzel Ware to visit in June

Ben Jones

Just because Denzel Ware decommitted from Kentucky doesn't mean he's broken off contact with the Wildcat coaching staff. The three-star defensive end has still been in touch with UK's coaches since re-opening his recruitment on April 9.

Ware continued to talk to Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot even after decommitting. UK remains one of his top four schools as he goes through the recruiting process.

But this time, he's approaching his decision differently.

"I'm taking things a lot slower and checking out all the schools to see what's best for me," Ware said.

Ware had been committed to Florida State before pledging to the Wildcats on Feb. 12. He's now planning on slowing down his recruitment before making a final decision.

He'll visit Lexington on June 9-11, along with several other Wildcat recruits. It'll be his first visit to Kentucky, and a chance for him "to meet the other recruits and see Lexington and get a tour of campus," he said.

He'll also get the chance to meet defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh in person for the first time. Ware has mainly been in contact with Eliot during his recruitment.

"Coach Eliot just really talks about the fans there and how they treat the football players," Ware said. "He tells me about Lexington and how it would be a great fit."

Ware said his top four includes Florida, Kentucky, Florida State and Jacksonville State.

"UK, the relationship between me and Coach Eliot and Coach Stoops goes back to when they were at Florida State," he said.

Ware originally committed to Florida State in September 2012, when Stoops and Eliot were still on staff with the Seminoles.

"Me and FSU, Coach Jimbo and I have a great relationship," Ware said. "I have a couple buddies that play there. I know everything about it and it's close to home."

Jacksonville State is within a few hours of Ware's home in Opp, Ala.

"That's a program that's trying to come up and it's a good school," he said.

Ware could make more than one visit to Lexington this summer. He said he's planning on visiting Kentucky for a camp at some point, though he hasn't set a date.

That would give Ware the chance to work out with Kentucky's staff watching to evaluate his game. He said the staff has already suggested he try to improve the use of his hands to raise his level of play.

"Coach Eliot has produced a lot of Division I defensive ends," Ware said. "It would be great to be coached by (Stoops and Eliot). It would be great just to play for them."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509483
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Georgia safety Tucker to visit UK this week

Justin Rowland

Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson safety Jared Tucker has visited Kentucky before but that was two years ago when the Wildcats ended their long losing streak against Tennessee.

The near four-star defensive back will be at Kentucky for the second time on Wednesday. Mark Stoops and his new staff has made Tucker a priority just as the last staff had, and he likes the energy around the program.

Tucker enjoyed his first trip to Kentucky but realizes that much has changed since that time.

"It was my freshman year and it was the old coaching staff," Tucker said this week. "I didn't really get to see the whole campus either."

The three-star safety has some serious interest in the Wildcats in large part because of the current staff.

"I'm close to coach (Bradley Dale) Peveto and coach (Derrick) Ansley and we've been talking for a good minute," he said. "They're real good guys. Coach Peveto is an up tempo, excited guy. When I talk to him he's always hyped."

Tucker also said he has been in contact with four-star UK quarterback commitment Drew Barker, who has been in contact with roughly thirty recruits on Kentucky's behalf.

"Coach Ansley told (Barker) to hit me up and we've been talking since then," he said.

Tucker has taken visits to Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina so far and he told Cats Illustrated he's not sure what the future holds after his trip to UK.

"I'm probably going to commit sometime around June, depending on how my relationship with some of my schools goes. It I feel it's right then I'll go ahead and commit."

Florida, Louisville, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ohio State, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia and West Virginia are among the other schools that have offered the 5-foot-11, 162-pound defensive back.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509599
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Taylor setting visits, still likes Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Ready offensive tackle Brady Taylor is one of Kentucky's top line targets and he's trying to put together a summer schedule.

Taylor himself told Cats Illustrated it could be a busy summer.

"I know I'm going to be making a lot of visits in June," Taylor said. "I'll probably camp at Ohio State on June 9. Virginia Tech, I'm scheduled for a visit there. I'll possibly go back up to Boston College and I might go down to NC State, Wake Forest and Tennessee.

"I've been trying to narrow it down this week and me and my parents are figuring everything out."

The 6-foot-5, 264-pound tackle said Kentucky, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Pitt, NC State and Wake Forest are among the schools that have been recruiting him the hardest.

He visited Kentucky not too long ago and the Wildcats are still near the front of his mind.

"I really like Kentucky a lot," Taylor said. "Coach (Vince) Marrow and coach (John) Schlarman both came twice to my school. They're the only school that did that. With coach (Mark) Stoops coming in and instilling a good vibe at Kentucky the fans are obviously going nuts right now. Obviously it's an exciting place to be, especially with all the kids going in from Ohio. They're all kids I know and it's a very high school on my list."

Taylor said he has met Jarrett LaRubbio, Kentucky's latest commitment, on a few separate occasions. He also stays in contact with UK pledges Darryl Long and Mikel Horton.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1509692
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nelson researching a host of suitors, including UK

Justin Rowland

Since backing out of his verbal pledge to Virginia last month three-star defensive tackle Chris Nelson has been trying to research some of the other schools that had been recruiting him.

Virginia hasn't completely thrown in the towel as assistant coach Vincent Brown wrote a note to Nelson just the other day.

But it's clear the 6-foot-3, 280-pound lineman from Lakeland (Fla.) Victory Christian Academy is interested in exploring other options. Many college assistants stopped by during the spring, including Kentucky's own Chad Scott.

"We've been talking the whole recruiting process," Nelson said. "We've built a good relationship. I should be taking a visit up there probably in late June.

"(Scott) said right now Kentucky's a building school but as far as academics and getting people to the league it's a great school to go to. He said he wants me to take a visit so they can show me what they've got to offer."

Nelson said his interest in UK is "pretty medium" at the moment, but that's what his interest is in all of the schools recruiting him.

There were plenty of rumors that Louisville was weighing heavily on Nelson's mind when he de-committed from Virginia. He's likely to visit Louisville on the same trip up to Kentucky.

"I'm still talking to Louisville. I'm talking to coach Charlie Strong and coach Brian Jean-Mary too. I just like their personalities. Coach Strong tells me to call him anytime I want to. We have a real strong relationship."

Besides the Cats and Cards, Nelson said South Florida, Central Florida, Pitt and Iowa are probably recruiting him the hardest. He is also hearing from Miami and Alabama to a lesser degree.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510037
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drew Barker @D_Barker7What did I say #BBN ? LET'S GO! S/O to my bro @_SaluteToJared for committing today!!!

Less than an hour ago, S Jared Tucker of Stephenson HS in Stone Mountain, Georgia committed to UK!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jared Tucker is ranked 44th at his position and with his commitment today, Kentucky currently has the No. 10 overall recruiting class and the No. 4 recruiting class in the SEC!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK continues to surge with Tucker commitment

Justin Rowland

Jared Tucker is the latest prospect to commit to Kentucky in what is shaping up to be the greatest recruiting class in the school's history and by a good margin.

The nation's No. 44 safety has a Rivals Rating of 5.7 and told Cats Illustrated that his final two schools under consideration were Kentucky and Miami.

Sources had informed Cats Illustrated that Tucker had planned to visit Miami on June 2, but that trip was canceled in an apparent indication that a decision could be imminent.

He texted Cats Illustrated Wednesday afternoon, saying simply, "I committed to UK."

Tucker then clarified his choice a bit.

"I loved the coaching staff's energy towards me and I was really impressed with the visit. [It] really wasn't a hard decision to make," he said.

Assistant coach Bradley Dale Peveto was Tucker's primary recruiter. It is Peveto's first major recruiting win since joining Mark Stoops' staff.

Tucker reported that he has received "23 or 24" offers over the course of the recruiting process. He is Kentucky's ninth commitment and his pledge helped the Wildcats' surge to No. 10 in the Rivals team rankings.

It is the first time UK has cracked the top ten of the national rankings since major recruiting services started covering the process.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510336
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hackett has two favorites as offer list grows

Justin Rowland

Khalia Hackett attended the UK spring game and even before that trip the Wildcats were in good shape with him.

Hackett's experience at the spring game ensured that Kentucky would remain near the top of his list and it cemented Mark Stoops program's status as his favorite.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound prospect from Douglasville (Ga.) South Paulding has picked up several new offers in recent weeks. His offer list now includes UK, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Marshall, Troy and most recently Wisconsin.

The offer from the Badgers immediately caught his attention.

"I like that they're a really good winning program. They've got a nice program. I like that they've [been to] three Rose Bowls in a row," Hackett said. "That might be an official visit. I might go up there for that.

"Coach Thomas Hammock is my recruiter and they've been talking to me for a while now. I'd be okay with (the distance). I just want to get up there and see it. I've never been up there for a visit.

"My favorites would probably be Wisconsin and Kentucky."

But the Badgers still have some ground to make up and it's probably too early for Kentucky to start worrying about their front-runner status.

"I would say Kentucky is probably ahead," he said. "I'm talking to coach (Derrick) Ansley from Kentucky and we talk about once every two weeks. He's told me a lot about the school and I went up there for the spring game. I liked that real well. It was a real good experience. It's a real good school and a real good atmosphere to be around. It was about 50,000 people there at the spring game.

"I'd put Kentucky ahead of Wisconsin just because it's SEC football."

Hackett said he plans to camp at Mississippi State on June 14 but that is the only thing he has scheduled for the foreseeable future.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510510
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cornerback Patten eyeing pair of SEC visits

Justin Rowland

Kentucky and Tennessee haven't seen much success on the football field over the past few years but both football programs are recruiting at a very high level.

They could go head-to-head for a top cornerback prospect later this year.

Four-star corner Nigel Patten told Cats Illustrated in a recent interview that the Wildcats and Volunteers have caught his attention. He doesn't have any favorites but you can bet that both of those programs would be on his short list if he had one.

"I can say for sure I'll go to Kentucky and Tennessee for official visits," Patten said.

To date Patten has just visited four in-state schools: Florida, Florida State, Miami and UCF. But the Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington defensive back said it would be a mistake to read too much into that and assume his heart is set on staying in the Sunshine State.

"(Location) doesn't really matter to me. If I could go to Alaska and play football that's where I'd go if it was best. I don't feel like I have a (favorite). All my options are open," he said.

Derrick Ansley has been talking to Patten from the UK staff and four-star quarterback pledge Drew Barker has been reaching out to him as well.

"They're talking to me a lot," Patten said. "Drew Barker was telling me it's a nice program. I've talked to coach Ansley a lot to times. He's come to my school and seen me. That will be a visit when I take officials.

"I think the coaching staff is phenomenal. They've got some guys from FSU and coach Ansley coming down from Tennessee. They've got some guys with a lot of experience on their resumes.

"Their recruiting class is the best they could possibly have. They're trying to make Kentucky national championship contenders."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510897
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RB Williams pushing back college decision

Justin Rowland

Stanley Williams appeared to be closing in on a decision but the Rivals100 running back told Cats Illustrated this week that he wants to slow down and take his time.

Clemson, Kentucky and West Virginia have been Williams' favorite schools for a couple of weeks now and that remains unchanged. What has changed is his timetable for making a decision.

"It was originally going to be in June," he said of his decision. "But I think I'm going to hold off and wait a little bit longer. I want to take some visits this summer and sort my list out that way. I'll weigh all my options. I'm still open at this point, getting ready to take visits.

"I haven't really thought too much about officials. I've just been taking the process as slow as possible. I'm not trying to get ahead of the game so I haven't thought about it. I might even take my five official visits before I make a decision. I'll just see how things play out."

If Williams does take an official it's very likely that one would be to Kentucky.

Bradley Dale Peveto and Derrick Ansley have both been recruiting Williams and the two continue to make headway with the nation's top-ranked all-purpose back.

But before Williams thinks more about official visits he has some summer visits on his agenda.

"I plan on being at Clemson, Kentucky, West Virginia and North Carolina. Those are the (visits) I have (planned) right now. Maybe Wisconsin. I want to talk with the coaches and see if they want me to come up. Arizona and possibly Miami but mostly those basically around this area. There's a lot more schools that I want to visit."

Williams said the fact that Clemson recently picked up their third running back commitment may not dissuade him from considering the Tigers.

"I have to talk to their coaches and the rest of their staff and see what their plan is for me. If they still have a plan for me then I'll still consider them. I know they just had another running back commit. I have to take it step by step and find out what they're thinking," he said.

"It's the same three (schools) still at the top of my list right now but things could change and that's why I'm taking visits this summer. Those three are at the top but it's still an open recruitment for me and anybody still has a chance."

The four-star prospect said a trip to Kentucky is in the works and should happen in June.

"I talked to coach Peveto (Tuesday) night and the date they want me to come up is June 15, I think. I'm not sure on the date yet. I've got to sort some things out and set it up. But that's what they're talking about," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510899
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Florida receiver has high praise for Cats

Justin Rowland

Kentucky's recruiting net is getting wider by the week and the Wildcats offered an emerging receiver from Florida on Wednesday.

Tyre Brady is a 6-foot-3, 180-pound wide-out from Homestead (Fla.) South Dade and while he's a three-star prospect he's got a four-star offer list.

He told Cats Illustrated that Kentucky offered him on Wednesday. Brady had spoken to assistant coaches Tommy Mainord and Jimmy Brumbaugh prior to the offer, and both coaches made a trip to his school during the spring to watch a practice and his school's spring game.

"They've talked to me a lot. They talk to me about how they're trying to change the program around and how they're getting a lot of big-time players. They want me to be one of those for them, a difference-maker for their program," he said.

"They just got a new offensive coordinator and it's going to be the Air Raid. They're going to throw the ball a lot and get me the ball a lot. It looks real good. It's the SEC. They just got a commitment from Drew Barker and he's one of the top quarterbacks in our class. It's funny because before he committed we talked a little bit over Twitter. Then I got the offer."

Brady said he does not have any clear favorites but Kentucky is in excellent position with him at this point.

"My interest in Kentucky is definitely pretty high," he said. "I'm building a strong relationship with them. I talk to them a lot. I don't have a top three yet or anything like that but I just know Kentucky's definitely up there.

"I'm definitely going to get up there. I want to take an official visit," he said.

Brady is also claiming offers from Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Minnesota and UCF. He said most of those offers have come during the spring.

So far Florida is the only school Brady has visited, but he's not the kind of guy that's set on staying close to home.

"I moved to Texas and then moved back so leaving wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm not one of those guys that's going to get home sick or let that affect my decision," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510900
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JUCO corner Shyquawn Pulliam is Kentucky's 10th commit

Ben Jones

The announcement wasn't planned. There weren't reporters or cameras present. But on Sunday night Blinn College cornerback Shyquawn Pullium found a way to make news anyways.

He committed to Kentucky, as CatsIllustrated.com first reported after 9 p.m. EST.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound cornerback had also received offers from Arizona State and Cincinnati. Pullium was a high school senior at Erie (Pa.) Cathedral Prep and originally committed to Penn State for the class of 2010. In high school, he held offers from Cincinnati, Maryland and Pittsburgh. He was ranked as the No. 31 prospect in the talent-rich state of Pennsylvania.

"It's mainly the coaching at Kentucky," Pullium said, explaining his choice. "All the coaches are great. Their head coach sends defensive backs to the league and that's my goal at the end of the day."

Running backs coach Chad Scott and cornerbacks coach Derrick Ansley were Pullium's primary recruiters.

"Coach Scott's real straight up," Pullium said. "He keeps everything real with you. He said he'll stay on my butt 'til I get to where I need to be."

Pullium describes himself as an "all-around corner" with good height and a solid build. He does believe that he needs to get more physical with receivers but that's just the one part of his game that he wants to focus on.

The JUCO cornerback will have two years to play two seasons of football once he reaches Lexington.

Pullium is also friends with teammate and linebacker Ryan Flannigan, another major UK target.

"Hopefully he'll go up there with me," Pullium said. "I'll be recruiting him."

Flannigan has been planning to visit Kentucky this summer. Pullium said he hopes to make that trip as well but may have to wait until he can take an official visit. He has never visited Kentucky.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1511566
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Safety Dawkins will take a look at Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Kentucky recently became one of the latest schools to offer safety Will Dawkins but the Wildcats have some ground to make up.

The Vero Beach (Fla.) safety doesn't know much about Kentucky yet. In fact, he hasn't had much contact with the UK coaching staff. They didn't even let him know about his offer directly.

"My coach spoke to them," Dawkins explained. "I think it was last Saturday, sometime during the weekend.

"I don't really know much about them but that's a school I'll probably look into."

Working in UK's favor is the fact that Dawkins has not visited any schools recently. So while he doesn't know much about Kentucky, he doesn't know much about many of the schools recruiting him.

Lots is going to hinge on how his official visits go.

"I'm going to wait until the fall and take some official visits," he said. "I should definitely be going to Ohio State, Michigan State and then I think I'm taking (and official visit to) Northern Illinois."

That might come as a surprise to some people. Ohio State and Michigan State are premier programs in the Big Ten that attract plenty of national attention, but NIU is a MAC school. On top of that, they have a new coach.

"I have a good relationship with the (NIU) coaches," he said. "And my cousin is over there.

"Really I'm just looking for some good coaches and I'm also looking for a school that's good with business and management."

Dawkins said he does not have any schools at the top of his list, per se, but he admitted that the schools he mentioned - Ohio State, Michigan State and NIU - are probably in pretty good shape relative to most of the other schools recruiting him.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pound prospect told Cats Illustrated that he doesn't have a preference as far as what conference or what part of the country he plays in.

"I'm not all about what team is sponsored by NIKE or that kind of stuff," he said. "I just want to be on a good football team with good players."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1511315
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Younger Hilliard has ties to Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Cincinnati (Ohio) St. Xavier is home to not one Hilliard, but two. The older, C.J., is one of the state's top rising senior athlete. The younger has just as much potential.

Justin Hilliard may just be a Class of 2015 prospect with two years before it's time to go off to college but he's already built like an SEC linebacker at 6-foot-2 and 225-pounds.

His early offer list is lengthy and reflects that potential that college coaches are obviously taken by.

So far he and his older brother C.J. have taken visits to Arkansas, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Indiana. There's a chance a trip to Kentucky could be in the works.

"I talked to one of their coaches and then the defensive coordinator (D.J. Eliot) came by," the younger Hilliard explained. "I actually know a decent amount (about Kentucky) because I'm pretty good friends with Jarrett LaRubbio and Mikel Horton.

"We all went to school together when we were younger and played together. They're good guys."

When asked whether LaRubbio and Horton are pushing for him to join them at UK, Hilliard laughed.

"A little bit, definitely," he said.

One factor to consider is the younger Hilliard admitted that his brother's college choice is likely to play a role in his, at least on some level.

"It will (influence him) a little bit. It would definitely be cool going to the same school. I wouldn't say wherever he goes I go," he said. "But it would be nice."

The rising junior said he plans to attend five or six camps this summer. He also wants to visit some schools unofficially. He does not know of his plans right now but a trip to Kentucky at some point is very likely.

Last fall as a sophomore at St. Xavier, Hilliard averaged 7.5 tackles per game and had two interceptions on the year.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1512001
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ben Roberts
KentuckySports.com

Junior college linebacker Ryan Flannigan committed to play for Kentucky on Wednesday.

Flannigan, who will be a sophomore at Blinn Junior College in Texas next season, was considered a three-star recruit by Rivals, Scout and ESPN when he was a member of the class of 2012.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder is a native of Missouri City, Texas. He becomes UK’s 11th commitment from the class of 2014.

Shortly after the commitment, Flannigan sent out tweets that included the messages “#WeAreUK,” “#BBN,” and “#Stoopstroops.”

Flannigan’s teammate at Blinn College — defensive back Shyquawn Pullium — committed to Kentucky on Sunday.

Rivals.com ranked Flannigan as the No. 60 outside linebacker and No. 98 player in the state of Texas in the class of 2012. ESPN rated him as the No. 40 outside linebacker and 68th-best prospect in Texas. 24/7 Sports considers Flannigan the No. 30 overall junior college player in the country and the No. 2 overall juco OLB.

Flannigan originally committed to Texas Tech, where new UK coaches Neal Brown, Tommy Mainord and Chad Scott were all on staff. He also had offers from West Virginia, Arizona, Boise State, Baylor, Arkansas and several other schools coming out of high school.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/06...its-to-uk/
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next