Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basketball Season Postponement???
I got a gut feeling that this 20-21 Basketball Season may not start until January or this spreading slows down a bit, those 3000+ new cases today was tough.  What do you guys think?
I thought that myself. Beshear definitely wants more control and the courts gave that to him. Now I think he will push basketball possibly until the first of the year with or without KHSAA decision. And what is really bad is that kids get to play when the game starts, but that dangerous jump ball has Covid-19 all over it. Heads or tails?
Also basketball is played inside with air units being used to circulate either ac or heat. That also something he will look at. I just hope the kids get to play but I hope everyone stays safe also. It’s a very tough call and if they don’t play this month I just can’t see them playing at all until the vaccine will be available for everyone which won’t happen for months yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rainingthrees's post:
  • Poseidon
I'm hearing Jan. 4th
January would make sense if anything does anymore. Football ends a couple of weeks before January so give football/basketball players a slight break. Then hopefully this Covid-19 mess will lessen as the following weeks come along. Games will happen just the numbers will be the problems as with football.
I would agree Jan would make more sense...
(11-13-2020, 11:55 PM)four quarters Wrote: I thought that myself.  Beshear definitely wants more control and the courts gave that to him.  Now I think he will push basketball possibly until the first of the year with or without KHSAA decision.  And what is really bad is that kids get to play when the game starts, but that dangerous jump ball has Covid-19 all over it.  Heads or tails?

That is one way to look at it but another way is that people have not done what they needed to do to limit the spread and thus we are where we are. I acknowledge we were never going to stop the spread, but the recommendations were set to slow the spread until we had a vaccine.  And the Governor is doing what he needs to do because people have not done what they were advised to do.  The way I see it is that there is no one to blame other than the people who disregarded the recommendations and denied the virus altogether.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

(11-17-2020, 02:58 PM)David T. Caudill Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 11:55 PM)four quarters Wrote: I thought that myself.  Beshear definitely wants more control and the courts gave that to him.  Now I think he will push basketball possibly until the first of the year with or without KHSAA decision.  And what is really bad is that kids get to play when the game starts, but that dangerous jump ball has Covid-19 all over it.  Heads or tails?

That is one way to look at it but another way is that people have not done what they needed to do to limit the spread and thus we are where we are.  I acknowledge we were never going to stop the spread, but the recommendations were set to slow the spread until we had a vaccine.   And the Governor is doing what he needs to do because people have not done what they were advised to do.  The way I see it is that there is no one to blame other than the people who disregarded the recommendations and denied the virus altogether.

Oh so this is our fault??? Ok keep telling yourself that.  The goal posts keep moving. 

Slow the spread! 
We have to wear masks---Done
We Need more testing----Done
We need more therapeutics----Done
We need a vaccine----- Practically done and do we need a vaccine for something that has a 99.9% survivability? 
And a whole lot of other sacrifices that have been made by countless people.  
If you think you are going to get it STAY HOME! Or if you are high risk STAY HOME! 

We have done what we can do (Even though you don't think so since this is all on us) It's time to get on with our lives.
In all fairness, I believe that the number of people who are actually wearing a mask, has dropped dramatically in the last 6-8 weeks.  For instance, the majority of people in my local grocery store do not wear a mask now, or wear it halfway down their face, under the chin.  I think if everyone had been very diligent with wearing a mask, and all of the other things being in place (testing etc.), we (Ky) would not be seeing the high levels of the virus we have speen the last several weeks.
I’ll tell ya, these masks are working so great!! Most people are wearing them and it sure has helped to spread the virus around.

I don’t think masks are helping that much at all. Here where I’m at, 95% are wearing them and it’s still spreading far worse than ever before. This virus is almost only hurting older people. Those over 60 need to stay home and isolate. The rest of us need to develop herd immunity. We’ve tried everything the “experts” have recommended, and it just ain’t working.
Most likely the Board of Control today will delay start of the high school basketball season, I have read several thoughts and ideas on social media, and the possible plan that I like best is to shut down everything in regards to high school sports (except remaining teams in football playoffs) , until after Thanksgiving, then let basketball teams resume practice first week of December, start playing first week of Jan (or last week of December), and push the end of the season to late March (State Tourney last weekend of March). That still gets 25-28 games plus tourney in, and it only overlaps traditional baseball season by a few weeks.
My gut feeling is between the Board of Control meeting happening now with KHSAA and what the Gov. mandates later today today we've seen the last of fans attending fall sports until state championship games at Kroger Field, and a pause on winter sports competition until reevaluation and hopefully getting started in January
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oldtiger's post:
  • Poseidon
Board votes to adjust the first playing date for basketball in 2020-2021 to January 4, with desired state tournament dates for weeks of March 15 and March 22 and direct staff to enter into venue negotiations for final confirmation at a December meeting. per KHSAA twitter.
The virus is gonna spread wether there’s basketball or not.
Jan 4th - Start Date.

March 1st: District Tournaments.

March 7th: Region Tournaments.

March 17-21 or 24-28: State Tournament.
[-] The following 2 users Like Strikeout King's post:
  • justthefacts, Poseidon
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/4mx1ia.jpg]
Bolz aint been this pumped since 1974 when the Patriot tradition began baby! Wowza! Covid been a mutha BGR bruthas! Hunker the freak down and lets get ready to rumble in Janny! More mash taters please!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fatpatfan's post:
  • Poseidon
Has anyone heard anything about how many fans are allowed at the games this year?
Hearing 15% including Players and Staff!!  When will season kick off will be the BIG Question!
(12-05-2020, 11:27 PM)Sports72 Wrote: Hearing 15% including Players and Staff!!  When will season kick off will be the BIG Question!

I thought they already decided that with the January 4th date?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
The season may be suspended completely if the virus isn’t brought down with Thanksgiving numbers not in yet and Christmas and New Years numbers yet to come I see the season completely canceled to bring down the virus cases down
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bigbluefan1972's post:
  • 14thregionfan2729010
I don’t see khsaa missing out on 2 straight state tournaments. Remember the governor is only recommending things right now, Not much he can do besides recommend once they get a vaccine in.
(12-06-2020, 10:33 PM)14thregionfan2729010 Wrote: I don’t see khsaa missing out on 2 straight state tournaments. Remember the governor is only recommending things right now, Not much he can do besides recommend once they get a vaccine in.

That vaccine is only going to be available in very fire quantities until March to possible May they are saying. That’s basketball season ended and even into baseball season so I don’t know what’s going to happen. 

I do know KHSAA is meeting again this week to discuss whatever. Idk. Hopefully we’ll get more information with this meeting.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • HCS
The numbers don't support shutting basketball down. By that I mean numbers with regard to method of transmission. Some said the sky was falling when they had football, just has not happened. Basketball season with restricted attendance and mask and social distance mandates should be no different then football.
[-] The following 3 users Like kai's post:
  • HCS, Iam4thecats, justthefacts
We should find out Thursday at 10am when the KHSAA board meets again. I don’t know if this will be on their agenda but a lot of folks are thinking it will be.
#BBFL
You can easily get the season started. If some teams have to quarantine, fine. I'd consider putting more time into the season and perhaps pushing back the tournament until May.

Move baseball back to a May and June season with the tournaments starting the last week of June.
What about just having Tournaments?  Draw for seeds and let everyone in.  Or something like that.  District, region, state tournaments only.  Better than canceling the whole thing and it would give the vaccine more time to be distributed.

(12-09-2020, 01:35 PM)Poseidon Wrote: What about just having Tournaments?  Draw for seeds and let everyone in.  Or something like that.  District, region, state tournaments only.  Better than canceling the whole thing and it would give the vaccine more time to be distributed.
A one-game season then for half the state? That's about the worst idea I've heard.
As the previous poster said, just treat it like football and play.
(12-09-2020, 04:09 PM)HCS Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 01:35 PM)Poseidon Wrote: What about just having Tournaments?  Draw for seeds and let everyone in.  Or something like that.  District, region, state tournaments only.  Better than canceling the whole thing and it would give the vaccine more time to be distributed.
A one-game season then for half the state? That's about the worst idea I've heard.

I realize that you want all or nothing but I was using a worst case scenario.  If all else fails, just do the tournaments, it is better than nothing at all.    I am sure many people would like the idea if given one game with the possibility of more, or none at all.

(12-09-2020, 04:38 PM)Poseidon Wrote:

I realize that you want all or nothing but I was using a worst case scenario.  If all else fails, just do the tournaments, it is better than nothing at all.    I am sure many people would like the idea if given one game with the possibility of more, or none at all.

No, I don't want all or nothing - just all, or most anyway. Fall sports made it through - time for winter sports, especially with vaccines on the way.
(12-09-2020, 04:51 PM)HCS Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 04:38 PM)Poseidon Wrote:

No, I don't want all or nothing - just all, or most anyway. Fall sports made it through - time for winter sports, especially with vaccines on the way.  I hope that we get 100% of the season in, but other plans have to be considered with the current reality we are all living in. 

As far as football goes, it it part of the problem, or the mindset is.  If people would have been more patient and sacrificed a season or a trip, ect...until we had a vaccine, maybe the virus would not have gotten so out of control.  I do not blame people who want to see sports, for the kids or whatever.  It is part of our lives.  But I do blame the mindset that our freedoms outweigh our common sense, no matter how inconvenient the situation may be.  Its a mess and I hope the vaccines work with minimal side impacts and death.  I love sports, but I love my fellow human beings a bit more, even though they irritate me to no end.