•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region team to beat in '08
rawlingsfan Wrote:1. Lawrence Co...return most of team including freshman phenom Shepherd
2. Paintsville...Grimm, VanHoose, and Humphrey return
3. Pikeville...most improved team from April to mid-May in 2007
4. Allen Central...lost only one sr. to grad. - Little can beat anyone on a given day
5. Johnson Central...Fyffe, Blanton, and Haney graduated - 57th is now seeding
best of the rest:
P-burg, Belfry, E. Ridge, Pike Cent., Sheldon Clark, and Magoffin Co.

this my list exactly.....great job.....finally someone who isn't bias and is basing their picks on facts.....great job
Mr.Kimball Wrote:He had Tommy John surgery, so yes you are right , his high school career is more than likely over. Very tragic .

scotty has been working hard on his rehab and it is possible that he will be back pitching by tournament time.....so he says...which is a big if.....i believe that it is possible but...he may not be the same
Lc is the to beat..no doubt about that....more talent than anyone around..shepherd on the hill along with hayes catching, cyrus and kingsmore in the infield, and laney controlling the outfield..hard to handle
blackcat_student Wrote:Prestonsburg returns everyone from last season, including the player that led the 15th in batting average in, Josh Roudebaugh. Plus they return Bobby Hughes, Chris Schoolcraft, and Allen Craynon. So they are a team to look out for in '08.

also AC head to head AC was 3-0 and outscored you guys 29-12
From all the kids i've heard signing with colleges from the 15th region it sounds like Lawrence is hands down the best team and everyone else is just kinda there..
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:what kind of pitching will the panthers be returning this year besides Harmon?

Does he even pitch?
yeah he throws pretty hard, i'm pretty sure he started in the district championship against east ridge.
1. Lawrence
2. Paintsville
3. Johnson Central

Don't overlook JC just because they lost Blanton, Fyffe and Haney, trust me they are gonna be tough.
Redneck Wrote:1. Lawrence
2. Paintsville
3. Johnson Central

Don't overlook JC just because they lost Blanton, Fyffe and Haney, trust me they are gonna be tough.

I agree. JC keeps good talent. LC should be the better team, then JC, and then Paintsville.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:yeah he throws pretty hard, i'm pretty sure he started in the district championship against east ridge.

well
i didn't know that he pitched

who else pitches for Pikeville
I'm gonna have to say LC, Was there catcher a senior or does he come back this season? He had a good arm on him behind the plate.
Tim Hayes-and hes's a senior this year.
Im gonna go with the dawgs. We have only lost one player from last year.
i would have to agree. Lawrence.
Lawrence WILL win the 15th.
Godspeed Wrote:Lawrence WILL win the 15th.

I agree LC is the team to beat this year. BUT, to say that they WILL win the 15th is a little bold. Any true baseball person knows that anything can happen in a tournament format. Just one mistake can cost you the game and your season. They have a very tuff District to get out of before they even go to the Region. Don't forget that Paintsville still has Grimm, VanHoose, Ison and Lyons returning on the mound this season, which all but Lyons were starters in the field as well. They also return Humphrey, Butcher and Adams in the field. Should be a tuff season but I will say that the 15th winner should come out of the 57th. Like I said "should".
OffTheHook Wrote:I agree LC is the team to beat this year. BUT, to say that they WILL win the 15th is a little bold. Any true baseball person knows that anything can happen in a tournament format. Just one mistake can cost you the game and your season. They have a very tuff District to get out of before they even go to the Region. Don't forget that Paintsville still has Grimm, VanHoose, Ison and Lyons returning on the mound this season, which all but Lyons were starters in the field as well. They also return Humphrey, Butcher and Adams in the field. Should be a tuff season but I will say that the 15th winner should come out of the 57th. Like I said "should".

That is very true. I really think that you can throw Johnson Central in there again this year as you can Pikeville. Nobody is saying much about Pikeville, but they bettet not take them lightly. Lawrence can be beat without Fyffe or Blanton on the mound, because JC did it last year with freshman Nick Vance. Two years ago, after Johnson Central came off the final 4 season they were the team to beat with Adam Blanton and Corey Conley returning, but both were injured almost their entire senior seasons and JC never even made it out of the district. You never can tell what will happen.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That is very true. I really think that you can throw Johnson Central in there again this year as you can Pikeville. Nobody is saying much about Pikeville, but they bettet not take them lightly. Lawrence can be beat without Fyffe or Blanton on the mound, because JC did it last year with freshman Nick Vance. Two years ago, after Johnson Central came off the final 4 season they were the team to beat with Adam Blanton and Corey Conley returning, but both were injured almost their entire senior seasons and JC never even made it out of the district. You never can tell what will happen.

JC returned a few other good players from that Final Four team too. That first round district game between Paintsville and JC featured the two best pitchers in the region goin head to head. Paintsville couldn't do anything wrong and nothin went right for JC. Paintsville came out on top and eventually lost to Pikeville in the region championship where Paintsville played about like JC did in the district game. You and OffTheHook are right, anything can happen, and that's what I love about baseball.
baseball_dad Wrote:Pikeville, Painstville, and Johnson Central. All others will just fill a void.

Who does Paintsville have returning? Did they lose a lot to graduation?? I have been gone from the area a long time and was just checking to see what their team was going to be like??
85-Blue Wrote:Who does Paintsville have returning? Did they lose a lot to graduation?? I have been gone from the area a long time and was just checking to see what their team was going to be like??

Look at post #76.
Redneck Wrote:JC returned a few other good players from that Final Four team too. That first round district game between Paintsville and JC featured the two best pitchers in the region goin head to head. Paintsville couldn't do anything wrong and nothin went right for JC. Paintsville came out on top and eventually lost to Pikeville in the region championship where Paintsville played about like JC did in the district game. You and OffTheHook are right, anything can happen, and that's what I love about baseball.

In 2004, JC's final four team had a losing record goin into district championship game, 16-wins 17-losses. They beat paintsville, who they had lost to twice in the regular season, they beat pikeville two games later who they had lost to three times in the regular season and came back in the regional finals for 2nd time in two years (lost to allen central in '03) and beat paintsville, which i think was toughest team in the region that year. That team put everything together at the end of the season and tried to make a run. Like Redneck stated above, anything can happen in baseball... Im sure thats the same thing Allen Central said in 2003 when they won the region.

I dont know what any team in the 15th has players wise, but you can count on JC, Paintsville, Pikeville and Lawerence all fielding a decent team. They are the front runners of the 15th and will always be, everynow and then there will be sleeper in the mix, who will upset a few teams.
Redneck Wrote:JC returned a few other good players from that Final Four team too. That first round district game between Paintsville and JC featured the two best pitchers in the region goin head to head. Paintsville couldn't do anything wrong and nothin went right for JC. Paintsville came out on top and eventually lost to Pikeville in the region championship where Paintsville played about like JC did in the district game. You and OffTheHook are right, anything can happen, and that's what I love about baseball.

In 2004, JC's final four team had a losing record goin into district championship game, 16-wins 17-losses. They beat paintsville, who they had lost to twice in the regular season, they beat pikeville two games later who they had lost to three times in the regular season and came back in the regional finals for 2nd time in two years (lost to allen central in '03) and beat paintsville, which i think was toughest team in the region that year. That team put everything together at the end of the season and tried to make a run. Like Redneck stated above, anything can happen in baseball... Im sure thats the same thing Allen Central said in 2003 when they won the region.

I dont know what any team in the 15th has players wise, but you can count on JC, Paintsville, Pikeville and Lawerence all fielding a decent team. They are the front runners of the 15th and will always be, everynow and then there will be sleeper in the mix, who will upset a few teams.
eastkyhunter Wrote:In 2004, JC's final four team had a losing record goin into district championship game, 16-wins 17-losses. They beat paintsville, who they had lost to twice in the regular season, they beat pikeville two games later who they had lost to three times in the regular season and came back in the regional finals for 2nd time in two years (lost to allen central in '03) and beat paintsville, which i think was toughest team in the region that year. That team put everything together at the end of the season and tried to make a run. Like Redneck stated above, anything can happen in baseball... Im sure thats the same thing Allen Central said in 2003 when they won the region.

Agree with everything you said, but would like to make 1 little correction. Central actually had a 16-17 record going into the district tournament in the first game against Magoffin. Adam Blanton and Corey Conley then went on just an unbelievable run, by winning 7 out the next 8 post season games on the mound for Central by themselves. The only post season game won by any other pitcher was the Allen Central massacre in the first game of the regional tournament. During this run, Blanton only gave up something like 2 earned runs in the last 30 innings he threw . Also during that run Conley and Blanton beat a great Paintsville team twice, a Pikeville team that was ranked with a 30-6 record, a Hazard team twice that was ranked also with a 30-6 record, and then another ranked team in Ashland at Appleebees.

Johnson Central had a lot of talent on that particular team, much better than their regular season record indicated. In my opinion, a lot of their post season success came from the tough regular season schedule that they played. I guess what I am getting at, is the regular season record does not always tell the whole tale about how good a team actually is or how bad a team that it isn't. The whole idea is to learn something from every regular season game that you play, and then apply that knowledge to gain an advantage when the real season kicks in. I think that that team is a prime example of a team that really did take advantage of the knocks and bangs that they received from their tough (pre) post season schedule.

But you are right, all of the teams that you mentioned, with the addition of Sheldon Clark are always in the mix when it comes post season time and should never be taken lightly.

Just a side note, that group of players that were in the 2005 graduating class was probably the most talented group of kids to ever play in the 15th region all at the same time. Pikeville, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, Johnson Central, and (Lawrence Co. was a 16th region team at that time) all had bumper crops of talent. In my opinion it was the Golden Era for 15th region baseball.
eastkyhunter Wrote:In 2004, JC's final four team had a losing record goin into district championship game, 16-wins 17-losses. They beat paintsville, who they had lost to twice in the regular season, they beat pikeville two games later who they had lost to three times in the regular season and came back in the regional finals for 2nd time in two years (lost to allen central in '03) and beat paintsville, which i think was toughest team in the region that year. That team put everything together at the end of the season and tried to make a run. Like Redneck stated above, anything can happen in baseball... Im sure thats the same thing Allen Central said in 2003 when they won the region.

I was talkin about the 2005 team returnin all those boys from the 2004 team.
Mr. Kimball you know that team and their season very well! you must have been part of it? If you was you know who I am, I was a good infielder but terrible at hitting. LOL
I think that Sheldon Clark will be right back at the top this year...just have to wait and see
eastkyhunter Wrote:Mr. Kimball you know that team and their season very well! you must have been part of it? If you was you know who I am, I was a good infielder but terrible at hitting. LOL
Dont you ever sell yourself short on anything for the first second. You played just as much of a part as anyone else in helping JC get to Applebee's with your bat and your glove. "eastkyhunter" has always been one of my favorites, not only as as player, but as a great person. Kids like you are what made the season fun and memorable. :Thumbs:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Dont you ever sell yourself short on anything for the first second. You played just as much of a part as anyone else in helping JC get to Applebee's with your bat and your glove. "eastkyhunter" has always been one of my favorites, not only as as player, but as a great person. Kids like you are what made the season fun and memorable. :Thumbs:

so how do you know who i am? lol
thank you for the compliment!
I BELIEVE MAGOFFIN COULD DEF. BE #2 THE TEAM IS YOUNG AND THEY WILL ONLY LOOSE 1-2 PLAYERS THIS YR SO DONT COUNT MAGOFFIN OUT and good luck to every team!
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next