•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region team to beat in '08
White Lotus Wrote:y is pburg a head of AC on this list????????????

a better question would be why is magoffin #2 on that list?
I thought this thread was titled TEAM to beat in '08??

It has become yet another one about comparing pitchers from Lawrence and Johnson counties.Rolleyes
Big Dawg Wrote:I thought this thread was titled TEAM to beat in '08??

It has become yet another one about comparing pitchers from Lawrence and Johnson counties.Rolleyes

i think we were, we were comparing teams of the 15th region...and they will be in th hunt for the title, so were discussing their teams i dont see how thats off track, but go ahead and start talking about something else...
OMG Wrote:i think we were, we were comparing teams of the 15th region...and they will be in th hunt for the title, so were discussing their teams i dont see how thats off track, but go ahead and start talking about something else...

My bad-just seems that the last page or so was a pitcher comparison more so than a team discussion-
Wsn't trying to offend-it just takes the entire TEAM to win, not just a pitcher.
this is true big dawg...I don't think anyone intends to discredit the other positions and players....but it is a fact that you cannot win tournaments
without a good pitching staff and the pitchers performance usually determines the outcome of any game....good defense beats good offense !!!!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Also , nobody said he was better than either one of them. It was only said that he is capable of beating Paintsville or Lawrence Co. And he is. Grimm didn't exactly look like Randy Johnson in the district did he? He mentally broke down very quickly. And if you remember Shephard pitched a couple of good innings in the regional game, but then mentaly fell apart himself.
You must have not been at the same game I was at. Shepard pitched one heck of a game!
DAWG_FAN Wrote:You must have not been at the same game I was at. Shepard pitched one heck of a game!

i agree for the kid to be in middle school at the time, on a stage that big, with the atmosphere at an all time high, i think his composure was better than most seasoned pitchers in that situation....he pitched an outstanding game, and if i remember correctly if it wasn't for those two errors lc and shepard would have walked away with the championship last year...
belfry is a team that could sneak up. not preseason favorites by no means, but watch out their deep.
richy_rich_09 Wrote:belfry is a team that could sneak up. not preseason favorites by no means, but watch out their deep.

they may have improved but i dont think they'll win the region..
OMG Wrote:i agree for the kid to be in middle school at the time, on a stage that big, with the atmosphere at an all time high, i think his composure was better than most seasoned pitchers in that situation....he pitched an outstanding game, and if i remember correctly if it wasn't for those two errors lc and shepard would have walked away with the championship last year...

Not necessarily. Aaron Haney roped a double into right center giving him 2 rbi. I think the game would have at least been tied. After that who knows. The errors you are referring to gave jc the first 2 runs.
Eagleball Wrote:Not necessarily. Aaron Haney roped a double into right center giving him 2 rbi. I think the game would have at least been tied. After that who knows. The errors you are referring to gave jc the first 2 runs.

exactly without those two runs he made have pitched an entirely different ballgame, and the reason haney got those two rbi's is from another error in which those runners that scored reach base...without that error those runners would have been out..
DAWG_FAN Wrote:You must have not been at the same game I was at. Shepard pitched one heck of a game!
Oh, I was there all right, In what we'll call the best seat in the house.

Pitched very well up until the 4th inning. At that time he lost his velocity, and began to get rattled. He dropped from a high of 84 in the first inning, to a high of 78 in the 4th. But all in all, a very impressive outing for an 8th grader.
OMG Wrote:i agree for the kid to be in middle school at the time, on a stage that big, with the atmosphere at an all time high, i think his composure was better than most seasoned pitchers in that situation....he pitched an outstanding game, and if i remember correctly if it wasn't for those two errors lc and shepard would have walked away with the championship last year...

Johnson Central errors also gave Lawrence Co. their two runs as well. It works both ways.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Johnson Central errors also gave Lawrence Co. their two runs as well. It works both ways.

your right i do remember them making those errors in the first inning i think...

That's very true OMG-some seem to completely forget that Shepherd was 14 YEARS OLD when he pitched in that game. What kid that age wouldn't get "rattled" or lose his "velocity". I get sick of hearing on here how he "mentally fell apart". Fact is, most kids his age would have still been pitching in senior league!!

Whether an LC fan or not, this kid deserves credit for handling himself the way he did and DOES now. That was one awesome position he was put in and he did very well. I've seen upperclassmen not handle such pressure any better than Shepherd did that night.
Dawg@heart Wrote:That's very true OMG-some seem to completely forget that Shepherd was 14 YEARS OLD when he pitched in that game. What kid that age wouldn't get "rattled" or lose his "velocity". I get sick of hearing on here how he "mentally fell apart". Fact is, most kids his age would have still been pitching in senior league!!

Whether an LC fan or not, this kid deserves credit for handling himself the way he did and DOES now. That was one awesome position he was put in and he did very well. I've seen upperclassmen not handle such pressure any better than Shepherd did that night.

True...Shep handled himself very well. No matter what the age. I think he will be a very good pitcher this year, but I think he won't be great for at least a year or 2.
magoffin#10 Wrote:1.lawrence county
2.magoffin county
3.belfry
4.paintsville
5.pikeville
6.j.c
7.sheldon clark
8.pburg
9.allen central
10.er

SC killed Belfry and Magoffin so no ..
The Guru Wrote:True...Shep handled himself very well. No matter what the age. I think he will be a very good pitcher this year, but I think he won't be great for at least a year or 2.

i agree i think by his senior year we should see something special with this kid..
Godspeed Wrote:Oops..sorry about that. Yes, Pikeville does have a very young, but talented team. I'm sure they will be twice as good this year than last.

pikeville should hit well with the likes of mcdonald and a few others and they have very good young talent being produced by their summer and fall league coach , but they imo don't have as much pitching as Lc , jchs, paintsville
INSIGHT Wrote:pikeville should hit well with the likes of mcdonald and a few others and they have very good young talent being produced by their summer and fall league coach , but they imo don't have as much pitching as Lc , jchs, paintsville

i agree with you but jchs pitching is down this year, and i would say paintsville and lawrence county by far have the best pitching staffs in the 15th region..
OMG Wrote:i agree with you but jchs pitching is down this year, and i would say paintsville and lawrence county by far have the best pitching staffs in the 15th region..
May be down, by the standards of last years grads, but they will still be a very good rotation, with incredible depth. They will be however very young. They will be deeper than any staff in the region.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:May be down, by the standards of last years grads, but they will still be a very good rotation, with incredible depth. They will be however very young. They will be deeper than any staff in the region.

young and inexperienced is mainly what i was getting at, but from what i understand have great talent to build on for the future, i was only saying that compared to paintsville and lawrence's pitching staff they will be down
Dawg@heart Wrote:That's very true OMG-some seem to completely forget that Shepherd was 14 YEARS OLD when he pitched in that game. What kid that age wouldn't get "rattled" or lose his "velocity". I get sick of hearing on here how he "mentally fell apart". Fact is, most kids his age would have still been pitching in senior league!!

Whether anybody on the mound gets rattled or not, it was just the way it was, so I dont know why you might take it personal. It had nothing to do with age. It's just what happened. Nobody has done anything but praise Shephard , so I dont really understand where you are coming from. If you want him to be praised and touted as being just as good or better than most upperclassman, that is fine. Just dont pull the "age card "when things dont go 100% the other way. Stat sheets and so forth dont show age astericks. Nobody was critisizing him at all, in fact everyone has acknowleged how remarkably well he did in the game for his age. Everyone has been impressed. In my opinion if Randy would have left him in the district game at Sheldon Clark the year before when he was a 7th grader, Lawrence would have probably come out on top in that game . Nobody has done anything but wish him well. You have to learn to accept that sometimes tiny bits of negatives sometimes comes with all the glorys of the positives. It comes with the territory.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Whether anybody on the mound gets rattled or not, it was just the way it was, so I dont know why you might take it personal. It had nothing to do with age. It's just what happened. Nobody has done anything but praise Shephard , so I dont really understand where you are coming from. If you want him to be praised and touted as being just as good or better than most upperclassman, that is fine. Just dont pull the "age card "when things dont go 100% the other way. Stat sheets and so forth dont show age astericks. Nobody was critisizing him at all, in fact everyone has acknowleged how remarkably well he did in the game for his age. Everyone has been impressed. In my opinion if Randy would have left him in the district game at Sheldon Clark the year before when he was a 7th grader, Lawrence would have probably come out on top in that game . Nobody has done anything but wish him well. You have to learn to accept that sometimes tiny bits of negatives sometimes comes with all the glorys of the positives. It comes with the territory.

You guys want to compare everyone and for the most part, thats what gets mentioned-he fell apart, he was rattled, his velocity went down. It has alot to do with age-he was (and still is) just a kid. That added to the hype of the situation, ANYONE would get rattled. Don't be so paranoid-you usually give about 50/50 praise and critisicm and that's what this is for-opinions. I have no reason to take anything said on here PERSONAL-I didn't put him on this comparison pedestal in the first place. Just stating my thoughts.
Dawg@heart Wrote:You guys want to compare everyone and for the most part, thats what gets mentioned-he fell apart, he was rattled, his velocity went down. It has alot to do with age-he was (and still is) just a kid. That added to the hype of the situation, ANYONE would get rattled. Don't be so paranoid-you usually give about 50/50 praise and critisicm and that's what this is for-opinions. I have no reason to take anything said on here PERSONAL-I didn't put him on this comparison pedestal in the first place. Just stating my thoughts.

:thumpsup: Good deal!
Lawrence County........without a doubt
Cards_12 Wrote:Lawrence County........without a doubt

I wouldn't say without a doubt. There going to have to go through the 57th first, and that ain't no cake walk. Personally I think Paintsville has their number and I think regardless if JC wouldn't have been the one to go to region last year, Lc wouldn't have won it anyway. I still believe that Paintsville would have beat them too.
OMG Wrote:I wouldn't say without a doubt. There going to have to go through the 57th first, and that ain't no cake walk. Personally I think Paintsville has their number and I think regardless if JC wouldn't have been the one to go to region last year, Lc wouldn't have won it anyway. I still believe that Paintsville would have beat them too.
Hard to say if anyone had anybody's number last year.

Again , I dont mean to be smart, but to me Paintsville has huge obstacles to over come in what they lost from last year. Paintsville lost way more than what some are willing to believe. We'll just call it denial. Smile I think you are grossly overlooking the loss of Pugh and Sublett at the plate, and even more crucial is what you lost on the mound. The loss of Pugh, Miller,and Watkins on the mound to me is devastating. Take the time to check your stats on what these guys were responsible for. I personally think that Watkins was the #1 last year, regardless of popular opinion. Add Pugh and Miller to the equation and it looks to me that Paintsville lost perhaps as much as 50- 60% of the core of their pitching staff as far as production. Just an opinion.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Hard to say if anyone had anybody's number last year.

Again , I dont mean to be smart, but to me Paintsville has huge obstacles to over come in what they lost from last year. Paintsville lost way more than what some are willing to believe. We'll just call it denial. Smile I think you are grossly overlooking the loss of Pugh and Sublett at the plate, and even more crucial is what you lost on the mound. The loss of Pugh, Miller,and Watkins on the mound to me is devastating. Take the time to check your stats on what these guys were responsible for. I personally think that Watkins was the #1 last year, regardless of popular opinion. Add Pugh and Miller to the equation and it looks to me that Paintsville lost perhaps as much as 50- 60% of the core of their pitching staff as far as production. Just an opinion.

Good obversation. I think between the 3 of them they won maybee 18 of the games Paintsville won.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Hard to say if anyone had anybody's number last year.

You have a good point and I agree with you 100%. Speaking of Watkins, where is he now?
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next