Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone
Has anyone heard how he's doing at UK? I haven't heard anything on how he's been doing in practice.
Landon MIGHT get to play his Senior year...
He is about the only player I haven't heard anything on. I heard that Patterson and Meeks are looking great as is most everyone, but for Carter who I have heard is looking terrible.
No surpise Carter isn't doing well, I have no doubt in my mind if I went through one season under Gillispie I could take Carter one on one. I have no business playing major D1 bball, and neither does he.
Captain_44 Wrote:He is about the only player I haven't heard anything on. I heard that Patterson and Meeks are looking great as is most everyone, but for Carter who I have heard is looking terrible.
trust me, there are 3 or 4 walk-ons you haven't heard of, and he is doing better than any of them.
I talked to coach when he was in PIKEVILLE, and he said that Landon was doing a great job and was looking very good.
Billie Gilispie is an idiot
because????
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:trust me, there are 3 or 4 walk-ons you haven't heard of, and he is doing better than any of them.
Yea, their there for the grades.
ballcrazy Wrote:I talked to coach when he was in PIKEVILLE, and he said that Landon was doing a great job and was looking very good.
This dosent suprise me, Landon has the potential,body, mind & skills to do some good things in this program and I think he has some good basketball still ahead of him. The thing about it is that if he stays there 4 years hes basically set and taken care of for the rest of his life off the court. Kentucky basketball does alot more to help their alumni financially after their playing days than they are giving credit for. Just look at Jeff Sheppard and Cameron Mills now days with all there doing. Richie Farmer is another good example.
well, when you are applying for a job with a 4 year degree and the credential of playing for UK, the resume looks pretty dang good, lol
If you play ball for UK and come back and live in Kentucky your set for life! It's like your a god. I was in lexington over the summer and saw matt heisenbutal (sp?) in the mall......remember him, he played for what seemed like 10 yrs. and avg. about 1 sec a game. You should have seen the people trying to get his autograph......It's nuts.
The Big Sandy News had a interview in the paper when Coach was in Pikeville. It said due to the fact that Landon is a Walk-On he isn't allowed to watch him until a certain point. It also said though that he expects Landon to see time possibly late sophomore or junior year depending how things pan out. Coach said it could possibly be later but he knows Landon is a great player from what he watch of him while at State and on other occasions.
Slone should have went somewhere else where he would actually get to play, hes not even listed on the roster for christs sake. He deserves to get the chance to show what he can do, but like Homer said, Gillispie is an idiot. Why go sit on the bench at UK for your whole career when you could possibly be starting somewhere else, possibly even a better team than UK. Yeah they will probably win about 24 or more games this year but if any other school played the cupcake schedule UK has they could win 24 or more also. I will still and always be a fan but until Gillispie shows that he knows what he is doing, I will never be a fan of his.
I bet Landon and his mom wishes he had went some where else......It was all about Landon and him going to UK....did they really think he would get to play let lone start? Landon had other chances but it had to be D1...nothing else would do, so he even elected to walk on. Wonder where he got his advise from?
Dude Wrote:I bet Landon and his mom wishes he had went some where else......It was all about Landon and him going to UK....did they really think he would get to play let lone start? Landon had other chances but it had to be D1...nothing else would do, so he even elected to walk on. Wonder where he got his advise from?

Well when it was his life long dream to be apart of the University of Kentucky he wasn't going to pass it up. Even if he is a walk-on.
-STAT- Wrote:Well when it was his life long dream to be apart of the University of Kentucky he wasn't going to pass it up. Even if he is a walk-on.

I understand having a life long dream....but Landon can play ball and I would think his life long dream would be to go to college and play basketball. We just wanted to see him continue on playing on the court not sitting the bench....he is good at what he does.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Slone should have went somewhere else where he would actually get to play, hes not even listed on the roster for christs sake. He deserves to get the chance to show what he can do, but like Homer said, Gillispie is an idiot. Why go sit on the bench at UK for your whole career when you could possibly be starting somewhere else, possibly even a better team than UK. Yeah they will probably win about 24 or more games this year but if any other school played the cupcake schedule UK has they could win 24 or more also. I will still and always be a fan but until Gillispie shows that he knows what he is doing, I will never be a fan of his.
Okay...first off, you're way out of line saying Christ's name in that context, and I am greatly offended! Secondly...NONE of the walk-ons are listed on the roster. They're not there to play basketball, they're there for school, and they decided to play without the assistance of a basketball scholarship!

As for the second bold portion, please provide some evidence that he does not know what he is doing! He has 2 of the biggest turnarounds in all of college basketball from one season to the next at UTEP and Texas A&M. Joe Crawford & Ramel Bradley have even said how big of an impact he had on their senior seasons. The guy did miracles with what he had last season, especially with the injuries to Meeks and Patterson! So...please...provide evidence that he has no idea what he is doing, and make a case that you could do better! I'm sure we're all anxious to hear it!
strikeout he can't make a case for himself cause some people are jealous and are ignorant to the real world.
First off, I could care less if you are offended by what I said, I can and will say what I want, and if you have a problem with it, please try to solve it. Second of all the schools where he had those supposed great turnarounds were mediocre at best, and it wouldnt take much to turn them around being that they were in weak conferences and wouldnt have taken much for them to be turned around. He led UK to a ridiculous 18-13 season last year with basically the same players Tubby had the year before and won more than 20 games with. The man pretty much ran off Legion and Jasper and I would almost guarantee that Crawford and Bradley doesnt like him much themselves, I cant prove that but judging from the way things went last year, I wouldnt be surprised. Last, why would I be jealous of him, he hasnt done anything special or spectacular, he is just another man just like any other, he just happens to coach(TERRIBLY) the UK wildcats, thats all, its nothing special.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:First off, I could care less if you are offended by what I said, I can and will say what I want, and if you have a problem with it, please try to solve it. Second of all the schools where he had those supposed great turnarounds were mediocre at best, and it wouldnt take much to turn them around being that they were in weak conferences and wouldnt have taken much for them to be turned around. He led UK to a ridiculous 18-13 season last year with basically the same players Tubby had the year before and won more than 20 games with. The man pretty much ran off Legion and Jasper and I would almost guarantee that Crawford and Bradley doesnt like him much themselves, I cant prove that but judging from the way things went last year, I wouldnt be surprised. Last, why in GODS name would I be jealous of him, he hasnt done anything special or spectacular, he is just another man just like any other, he just happens to coach(TERRIBLY) the UK wildcats, thats all, its nothing special.
Okay. :Thumbs:

Please forgive me...I forgot you knew everything about everything! I'm terribly sorry!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Okay. :Thumbs:

Please forgive me...I forgot you knew everything about everything! I'm terribly sorry!

lmao Smile Smile
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:First off, I could care less if you are offended by what I said, I can and will say what I want, and if you have a problem with it, please try to solve it. Second of all the schools where he had those supposed great turnarounds were mediocre at best, and it wouldnt take much to turn them around being that they were in weak conferences and wouldnt have taken much for them to be turned around. He led UK to a ridiculous 18-13 season last year with basically the same players Tubby had the year before and won more than 20 games with. The man pretty much ran off Legion and Jasper and I would almost guarantee that Crawford and Bradley doesnt like him much themselves, I cant prove that but judging from the way things went last year, I wouldnt be surprised. Last, why would I be jealous of him, he hasnt done anything special or spectacular, he is just another man just like any other, he just happens to coach(TERRIBLY) the UK wildcats, thats all, its nothing special.

Really? Texas A&M mediocre, and in a weak confrence? Wow, thats funny. Billy is working this kids hard, REAL hard. A friend of mine rooms with one of Landons best friends from High School, and theyve talked about summer workouts and stuff, and Patrick Paterson said that this was the hardest thing he's ever done. Billy G's got them working hard, and if that drives some players away then big deal, they just couldnt take the hard work and didnt need to be there. Hes trying to instill a sese of hard work in these kids which will not only help them in tough games down the stretch, but also for life after basketball. Things are looking up for UK basketball IMO.
Saw the UK basketball poster picture today. It's the one differnt businesses sponsor every year and hand out in poster form. Landon is in the middle of the team picture. He will be #10 this year.

As far as whether he should/shouldn't have walked on at UK----that was/is HIS DECISION ALONE. The only ones who should have any other input are his mom/dad. AT THAT"S IT! I'm sure he sought advice from others he trusted as well---like BMR.

If that is his lifelong dream I say KUDOS young man. Even if he never plays one second on the floor he has done more than anyone whose probably replied on this thread. He was one of my favorite Tigers I ever watched play. I wish him nothin but the best at UK.
transplanttiger Wrote:Saw the UK basketball poster picture today. It's the one differnt businesses sponsor every year and hand out in poster form. Landon is in the middle of the team picture. He will be #10 this year.

As far as whether he should/shouldn't have walked on at UK----that was/is HIS DECISION ALONE. The only ones who should have any other input are his mom/dad. AT THAT"S IT! I'm sure he sought advice from others he trusted as well---like BMR.

If that is his lifelong dream I say KUDOS young man. Even if he never plays one second on the floor he has done more than anyone whose probably replied on this thread. He was one of my favorite Tigers I ever watched play. I wish him nothin but the best at UK.
Is the poster anywhere on the net?
transplanttiger Wrote:Saw the UK basketball poster picture today. It's the one differnt businesses sponsor every year and hand out in poster form. Landon is in the middle of the team picture. He will be #10 this year.

I agree 100% with you transplanttiger....if the boy wanted to play at UK and was good enough to walk on and try out....then more power to him. Hey, he must have some talent he is on the team. Good Luck to you Landon, make us all proud!!!
Crawford on many occasions has stated that GIllisppie is the reason for his turn around and hwy he has been drafted and now signed by the Lakers. Tubby was terrible.

Gillispie was SEC Coach of the Year, but I guess that means he is terrible. Get a life hater. You claim to be a fan, but I don't see it. BBN doesn't need pessimists like yourself, go cheer for Louisville. Oh yeah who did GIllispie beat out of the NCAA tourney when he was at aTm, the year before he came to UK? That's right Louisville.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:He led UK to a ridiculous 18-13 season last year with basically the same players Tubby had the year before and won more than 20 games with.
The same players huh? So Randolph Morris, Bobby Perry, Sherray Thomas, & Lukasz Obrzut was on last years team? Jodie Meeks got to play every game last year like he did in 06-07? Yeah, I think not. If it weren't for your fantastic Tubby Smith, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in with having to lose 13 games in a year.

And you talk about a "cupcake" schedule. Playing North Carolina, Miami, Kansas State, Iowa/West Virginia, and Louisville, plus having to be in the toughest conference in the nation; you call that a "cupcake"? You want to talk about a cupcake schedule, gripe at Billy Donovan at Florida. They leave the state of Florida one time before January, and the only reason they are leaving then is to play in a tournament in Kansas City.

Let's take a look here, Dick Vitale release his Preseason Polls. The so called out of conference cupcakes are as follows:

North Carolina #1
Louisville #2
Miami #21
West Virginia #28

Plus you have your in conference schedule that contains:

Tennessee #14
Florida #17
Alabama #34
Mississippi State #36

That is 8 teams ranked in the top 50 in preseason polls.

Yes they have cupcakes on their schedule, as do all major D1 schools. Take a look at Kansas for instance. They are your defending National Champions, but look at what they have.

The winner of Florida/Syracuse
Arizona #23
Tennessee #14
Michigan State #7

So if you compare the two out of schedule, UK has a higher SOS. So don't throw up that cupcake scheduling crap. Get a clue before you type.
EkyLb Wrote:Crawford on many occasions has stated that GIllisppie is the reason for his turn around and hwy he has been drafted and now signed by the Lakers. Tubby was terrible.

Gillispie was SEC Coach of the Year, but I guess that means he is terrible. Get a life hater. You claim to be a fan, but I don't see it. BBN doesn't need pessimists like yourself, go cheer for Louisville. Oh yeah who did GIllispie beat out of the NCAA tourney when he was at aTm, the year before he came to UK? That's right Louisville.

An it was at Rupp I believe.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Slone should have went somewhere else where he would actually get to play, hes not even listed on the roster for christs sake. He deserves to get the chance to show what he can do, but like Homer said, Gillispie is an idiot. Why go sit on the bench at UK for your whole career when you could possibly be starting somewhere else, possibly even a better team than UK. Yeah they will probably win about 24 or more games this year but if any other school played the cupcake schedule UK has they could win 24 or more also. I will still and always be a fan but until Gillispie shows that he knows what he is doing, I will never be a fan of his.
Dude I wondered the samething why he isnt even on the roster..... But why not follow your dreams even if he doesnt see the floor he will have had the time of his life.. first and most import he will have a Education from the university of Kentucky... and **** you never know... He likes to play his walk ons alot so you never know.
And trust me they dont have a cupcake schedule.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]