•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
I would say that they already have someone in mind or they wouldn't have let Copley go so quick. What asst. coaches would stay on if the new coach offered them a position.
wow another coach....this job is almost as easy to loose as the oakland job, this is the third coach they have has since i graduaed, but it is pikeville and they wont accept anything less than dist. championships and i dont blame them, too much tradition there, but good luck to the new coach whoever it may be
SportsKing Wrote:Only if the money was right. The one thing that is predictible about Coach Hillard Howard is that he always follows the money, and I don't blame him, he's earned it. .... I really don't see him leaving such a good draw of kids at LCC. ...

Got to agree with you...

The relationship between Hillard Howard and Pikeville is similar to Phillip Haywood and P-burg in 1984. Coach Haywood preferred to stay but the Belfry mafia made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Like you said, no one can fault a coach for doing what's best for his family. Money talks. That's true in every job/profession. :o
LUMBERJACK'06 Wrote:wow another coach....this job is almost as easy to loose as the oakland job, this is the third coach they have has since i graduaed, but it is pikeville and they wont accept anything less than dist. championships and i dont blame them, too much tradition there, but good luck to the new coach whoever it may be

They did win their district. Because of the cross district playoff format this year district was settled during the regular season.
Suspect Wrote:I know there is a coach that just took a team to the state championship that is very interested in the Pikeville position if it is actually going to be open. This guy has been coach of the year a couple of times and has won at a high level. He was part of championships as an assistant also. But, Pikeville would have to give him what he needs to win it all. He is in a good situation right now. I also know that he was one of the finalist for the Pikeville job when Jackson was hired. How do i know. I just got off the phone with him. Big Grin

I think you are talking about Doug Preston of Christian County. He is a self professed understudy of Dudley Hilton and wants his team to be the most physical on the field at all times. He was at Rowan and Western, but I am not sure where he was that championships were involved. He was beat by his mentor Hilton in the 4A finals this past season.
Good guess but i promised not to say so i can't confirm or deny. Preston is at Bullitt East. Don't know if he would actually want to go back east or not. Pikeville would have a very good young coach if it were him imo.
SportsKing Wrote:I would say that they already have someone in mind or they wouldn't have let Copley go so quick. What asst. coaches would stay on if the new coach offered them a position.

I'd say none of the assistant coaches will coach without Coach Copley. They seem to be real close. It will surprise me if any of the coach's, coach without him. I can speak for the rest of our the team, that's what we are Panther Family.
We started out with teammates who made our team weak and their lifestyle on the side was bringing us down. We got rid of them and rebounded. We made it the Regional Championship. And no one ever expected us to go that far. But that's not good enough for "some people", Coach pushed us to be better and to be men and to play with our hearts. We were determined not to let him down. And he never let us down. I feel that we did our best. We won't let you down, we are here for you coach. We know you don't want to leave us. Your team will stay strong for you! Good luck Coach!
And as for the next coach. I really don't care cause I have my mind made up, I'm out of here!
WKandinsky Wrote:I'd say none of the assistant coaches will coach without Coach Copley. They seem to be real close. It will surprise me if any of the coach's, coach without him. I can speak for the rest of our the team, that's what we are Panther Family.
We started out with teammates who made our team weak and their lifestyle on the side was bringing us down. We got rid of them and rebounded. We made it the Regional Championship. And no one ever expected us to go that far. But that's not good enough for "some people", Coach pushed us to be better and to be men and to play with our hearts. We were determined not to let him down. And he never let us down. I feel that we did our best. We won't let you down, we are here for you coach. We know you don't want to leave us. Your team will stay strong for you! Good luck Coach!
And as for the next coach. I really don't care cause I have my mind made up, I'm out of here!

Your coach would most likely consider it a letdown if you don't play next year whether or not he is the coach. Any decent coach does not want their players making bad choices like quitting whether they are done wrong or not imo.Are you a senior? I am curious how staying strong for coach Copley is exhibited by not playing or leaving?:confused:
brain cramp Wrote:I think you are talking about Doug Preston of Christian County. He is a self professed understudy of Dudley Hilton and wants his team to be the most physical on the field at all times. He was at Rowan and Western, but I am not sure where he was that championships were involved. He was beat by his mentor Hilton in the 4A finals this past season.

I don't think it is Preston. I just spoke to him myself and he says he hasn't talked to anyone about the Pikeville position. He didn't even know it was open. I do agree his team is usually very physical. They run the wishbone and have had a lot of success doing it. He is a belly guy.
vgaacalj Wrote:This Coach will be the Tipping Point for the Pikeville Football Program, the program will be returned to the glory days or it will only be a mediocrity program!

I would like to think that the Administration already has a Coach who has agreed to take the job, why else would you let a Coach that was 7-1 in class-A go!?

What Pikeville needs since they have decided that Coach Copley was not the right person to grow the program is a Proven GREAT Coach (I did not say they had a chance to get these):

Great
1- Hillard Howard
2- Philip Haywood
3- Dudley Hilton
4- Jim Matney
5- Bill Allara – will not give up retirement to come back and coach

Good (Not sure that they can handle (or would won’t to) all the Pikeville BS outside of coaching to survive long-term):
1. Ben Howard
2. Chris McNamee
3. Mike Copley Wink
4. Shawn Hager
5. Steve Jewell
6. Bill Letton
7. John Derossett
8. Mike Holcomb
9. Yogi Kinder

If Pikeville wants to take the Football Program forward then these are the caliber of the next Coach they should be recruiting to take the job (not just setting back and taking applications for the job and then interviewing those who apply).

Whoever the new Coach is they should as a condition to accepting the job have the hold-back policy changed (19 year-olds Vs 16, 17 and 18 year-old does make a difference).

New Coach – New Program – New Policies – New Hope! :rockon:

IF pikeville wants coach haywood, they can dream as long as they want. Its not going to happen
Suspect Wrote:Your coach would most likely consider it a letdown if you don't play next year whether or not he is the coach. Any decent coach does not want their players making bad choices like quitting whether they are done wrong or not imo.Are you a senior? I am curious how staying strong for coach Copley is exhibited by not playing or leaving?:confused:

It depends on where they go! They could still be playing for Coach Copley.
With all that has happened, we may see some other kids decide to try it elsewhere. I know they're kids, but I would say alot of the parents are tired of their kids getting dumped on. For exaple in Football, Seniors.........3 coaches in 3 years, that's uncalled for! I've talked to several disgruntled parents over the past few days that have expressed alot of things that they are very unhappy about with Pikeville Athletics! Many were parents of the younger kids and have already decided to take their kids out of the school system just because of the problems with the athletic program at Pikeville....... No harm intended towards anyone or anything, just stating what I have been hearing.
I understand that it's been a revolving door at Pikeville over the last 4 years, but kids shouldn't quit because their coach got a bad deal. Kids should play because they love to play and their teamates, not their coaches, parents, or anyone else. I'd hate to see kids give up their last year because of something like that.
SportsKing Wrote:It depends on where they go! They could still be playing for Coach Copley.
With all that has happened, we may see some other kids decide to try it elsewhere. I know they're kids, but I would say alot of the parents are tired of their kids getting dumped on. For exaple in Football, Seniors.........3 coaches in 3 years, that's uncalled for! I've talked to several disgruntled parents over the past few days that have expressed alot of things that they are very unhappy about with Pikeville Athletics! Many were parents of the younger kids and have already decided to take their kids out of the school system just because of the problems with the athletic program at Pikeville....... No harm intended towards anyone or anything, just stating what I have been hearing.

Coach Howard can bring Pikeville back.
SportsKing Wrote:It depends on where they go! They could still be playing for Coach Copley.

Pikeville is an excellent academic school...a new prinicpal and athletic director will make changes as he/she feels is needed...parents need to give the principal and athletic diretor time and enjoy the fact that their child/children is/are receiving a top notch education...
someone needs to get this team back to there winning ways
ZoneRead Wrote:Coach Howard can bring Pikeville back.

Did he do it at Shelby Valley?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Pikeville is an excellent academic school...a new prinicpal and athletic director will make changes as he/she feels is needed...parents need to give the principal and athletic diretor time and enjoy the fact that their child/children is/are receiving a top notch education...

I believe Pikeville was an excellent academic school when Coach Howard was winning state championships.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Did he do it at Shelby Valley?

Shelby Valley never had anything to bring back.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Pikeville is an excellent academic school...a new prinicpal and athletic director will make changes as he/she feels is needed...parents need to give the principal and athletic diretor time and enjoy the fact that their child/children is/are receiving a top notch education...

You've never seemed to use that kind of logic when it came to Coach Copley......Why is that?
ZoneRead Wrote:Coach Howard can bring Pikeville back.

Possibly! But I could just about guarantee you that Howard would not step into the current situation. There would have to be some changes made from within first. Anybody that knows Hillard understands!
SportsKing Wrote:Possibly! But I could just about guarantee you that Howard would not step into the current situation. There would have to be some changes made from within first. Anybody that knows Hillard understands!

Change is what Pikeville needs. Pikeville needs the man who knows what needs to be changed and proven he can lead the Pikeville nation. That man is Hillard Howard. Changing coaches ever year or two does not seem to have fixed the problem with the Pikeville's athletic program.
ZoneRead Wrote:Change is what Pikeville needs. Pikeville needs the man who knows what needs to be changed and proven he can lead the Pikeville nation. That man is Hillard Howard. Changing coaches ever year or two does not seem to have fixed the problem with the Pikeville's athletic program.

He would certainly face alot of opposition from a certain group within the system. There are, and I truly believe this, many inside the school system that have been afraid of and don't want the football program getting back to the days of Hillard Howard. Coach Copley faced a windfall of opposition(EXCEPT PARENTS) on every issue in trying to build the program the right way. I think Pikeville will search for a compromising personality in their next coach.
SportsKing Wrote:He would certainly face alot of opposition from a certain group within the system. There are, and I truly believe this, many inside the school system that have been afraid of and don't want the football program getting back to the days of Hillard Howard. Coach Copley faced a windfall of opposition(EXCEPT PARENTS) on every issue in trying to build the program the right way. I think Pikeville will search for a compromising personality in their next coach.

Why in God's name would they not want the football program to succeed? I don't understand why that would instill fear in anybody? Explain?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Why in God's name would they not want the football program to succeed? I don't understand why that would instill fear in anybody? Explain?

I don't think it's that they don't want the football program to succeed, it's just that they.....well let's just say that when Hillard was there, football was king and he pretty much ran the show and everything else kind of took a backseat to football.
WKandinsky Wrote:We made it the Regional Championship. And no one ever expected us to go that far. But that's not good enough for "some people",
In a watered down Class A, Pikeville should expect to WIN the regional championship Every year.

Anything less shouldn't be good enough for the players either.
A lot of coaches have been mentioned in the last few pages. You need to look and see what teaching position is open to bring in a new coach. High School PE? Not if Garris takes this position. Then you have the elementary PE job. There are a couple of possible retirements come May, but you cannot wait that long on hiring somebody. Then you would have to think about what the new coach has at the school. No assitant coaches in the whole system. The staff would have to be paraprofessionals or volunteers. Not a good selling point to a veteran coach. Could be real interesting to see what happens.

:igiveup:
Really? According to the test scores theve been slipping in that department too. A School isnt just about what lessons are learned in the classroom. What a child learns in athletics such as how to be part of a team, how to be a part of something bigger than you are, and how to perform under pressure in extreme circumstances are just a few of the things that a child learns in sports that they could never learn from a text book in a class room. Im not downplaying academics at all Im just saying for the kids who are fortunate enough to be student athletes the 2 work hand in hand. Why should we just set back and be happy and give the administration time? Theve been at their respectvie positions for several years while Copley only got one year as HC.
hillbilly Wrote:A lot of coaches have been mentioned in the last few pages. You need to look and see what teaching position is open to bring in a new coach. High School PE? Not if Garris takes this position. Then you have the elementary PE job. There are a couple of possible retirements come May, but you cannot wait that long on hiring somebody. Then you would have to think about what the new coach has at the school. No assitant coaches in the whole system. The staff would have to be paraprofessionals or volunteers. Not a good selling point to a veteran coach. Could be real interesting to see what happens.

:igiveup:
This shouldn't be a problem if they are serious about improving Pikeville football. They should make a job for the coach and whatever coaches he wants. When Pikeville athletics are at its best so are the academics.
SportsKing Wrote:I don't think it's that they don't want the football program to succeed, it's just that they.....well let's just say that when Hillard was there, football was king and he pretty much ran the show and everything else kind of took a backseat to football.
I agree just from my conversations with some folks at the school from teachers to some current and former administrators there is a surprising amount of anti-football sentiment over there right now. If youll notice the ones who are anti football never went to school here.
HazzBeen Wrote:This shouldn't be a problem if they are serious about improving Pikeville football. They should make a job for the coach and whatever coaches he wants. When Pikeville athletics are at its best so are the academics.
I agree. As Im sure you remember in 1987 we won the state academic meet as well as the state football title.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next