•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pikeville Coach?
Well who ever gets the job has got plenty of work ahead of him. The program needs to be turned around all over again..
Panther Thunder Wrote:With that news, I'm leaning toward Ben Howard as HC and McNamee as an assistant.

That's exactly what the situation is. Actually that is what has to be ironed out.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Haha I'll bring the iron if that's what it takes Wink

HAHA....I'd say the entire city of Pikeville would have an iron waiting on the footsteps of the school.
No matter who their coach is they are still going to be a tough team to beat because Pikeville has a beast offensive game
Who all is on the selection committee? I heard that a local doctor was on the committee, surely that isn't true...
wesc123 Wrote:No matter who their coach is they are still going to be a tough team to beat because Pikeville has a beast offensive game

The team will run whatever type of scheme the new coach implements....it might work and it might not. Each coach brings a different style with them, the offense won't be the same as it was under Copley and it won't be the same that it was under Jackson.
The King Wrote:Who all is on the selection committee? I heard that a local doctor was on the committee, surely that isn't true...

Dr. Greg Hackney
Dr. Jody Brown

Both members of the 87 team and Allstate players.
hillbilly Wrote:Dr. Greg Hackney
Dr. Jody Brown

I guess money talks in Pikeville...
The King Wrote:I guess money talks in Pikeville...
Actually, I think they are good choices.

Both played during the days when Pikeville was PIKEVILLE.
The King Wrote:I guess money talks in Pikeville...

I don't understand what you meant with the above post??
What's wrong with Mcnamee? He's a great guy and a good coach if they'll let somebody stay there over a year or 2 to try and get that place straightened out. I mean, Howard may be a pretty decent coach but come on, he aint the man that Mcnamee is and in my opinion thats who we want coaching our kids today.

It's about winning but its about a lot of other things also, and I would rather have Mac working that closely with my boy anyday than to have any of the others!
DJCOOL Wrote:What's wrong with Mcnamee? He's a great guy and a good coach if they'll let somebody stay there over a year or 2 to try and get that place straightened out. I mean, Howard may be a pretty decent coach but come on, he aint the man that Mcnamee is and in my opinion thats who we want coaching our kids today.

It's about winning but its about a lot of other things also, and I would rather have Mac working that closely with my boy anyday than to have any of the others!

Now I don't know how fair that is DJCOOL. Mac is a good guy but its not like the other candidates are bad people. I like Macnamee and I do feel like he would make a good coach, maybe we could get all of these names being tossed in here as a combo! But, any of them serving as head coach would be alright and a good fit for this town.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Actually, I think they are good choices.

Both played during the days when Pikeville was PIKEVILLE.
Amen........
jakethesnake Wrote:Now I don't know how fair that is DJCOOL. Mac is a good guy but its not like the other candidates are bad people. I like Macnamee and I do feel like he would make a good coach, maybe we could get all of these names being tossed in here as a combo! But, any of them serving as head coach would be alright and a good fit for this town.

Mac or Ben would be a good choice for the Pikeville coaching position.
I would be shocked to see Hillard let Ben even apply to be coach at PHS he has him all set up at LCC whenever he decides to leave as coach Ben will fill his shoes hands down. Hillard knows how all the athelitic programs have operated since he left years ago they are all now ran by those parents who have the $$ to buy their childs happiness as being in a starting position whether they can play or not if the parent wants their child in any athelitic position just show the school the $$ and the coach is required to put that child on the team no matter if they can play or not, if they are lazy or not, or if they get into troblue or not be it drugs, booze, academics etc. $$ talks the talk now in all athelitics at PHS. John Bill Trivette and Hillard Howard are the only two coaches I have ever known that took no bull from parents or the player and it will never be this way again at PHS because of parents on the Site Base Council and certain teachers calling all the shots. They receive the applications but know exactly who they will be giving the interviews to before a shot is ever fired. It is sad but true it is all politics and who can show them the money at PHS. I think all the coaches there are all lame, laid back and only there to draw a paycheck especially all the basketball coaches and when they get a coach like Jackson or Copley that wants to rebuild a program and a parents son doesn't want to work for a starting position then they are history cause they hurt little Johnny's feelings. PHS needs to clean house and get rid of all those coaches that are controlled by the parents that is the only way any of the teams will ever accomplish any titles ever again in the history of sports at PHS. You have to have some more John Bill's and Hillard's the tough guys who didn't care if it was Daddy, Mommy or the Son who got their feelings hurt it was suck it up or hit the door with them as it should be these little boys and girls are spoiled rotten now at PHS by their parents and all the coaches are scared to death I have yet to hear any of them raise their voices on the sidelines except for Jackson and Copley and since the parents and Administration didn't like it they are now history. Soon PHS will be another school like those that now have records of No wins and many losses. Thanks parents and administration and let's not forget the Site Base Council members for destroying the history of Athletics at PHS!!! I recently learned in order for a certain coach to keep her job she convinced the SBC they had to hire the current principal when others wanted someone else you know they have been in the same school systems for years together. Wake up people if you want the John Bill Trivette and Hillard Howard Days again at PHS if not then stop all your whinning and suck up all those losses and no more championships!!!!!!
i agree with djcool, you could not have a better person to have your kids around than Coach Mac, one of the finest individuals i've had the pleasure of getting to know. Since he is definetely gone from P.C. hopefully Pikeville will give him strong consideration, he definetely deserves it.
If the school keeps the policy they know more about what is best for a child instead of the parents, then no one should take that job. In a few years they will not be able to compete. This is a family decision on holding a child back, and many reasons to do so or not to do so. But it should be the parents and child that decide. And everyone can look to others for opinions and experience others have had..... What ever we do, it should be in the best interest of of each child, not as a group of children. Each one is different.........
BlueSky Wrote:If the school keeps the policy they know more about what is best for a child instead of the parents, then no one should take that job. In a few years they will not be able to compete. This is a family decision on holding a child back, and many reasons to do so or not to do so. But it should be the parents and child that decide. And everyone can look to others for opinions and experience others have had..... What ever we do, it should be in the best interest of of each child, not as a group of children. Each one is different.........
:Clap:
Regardless who get's the job they will have a hard time winning for a while over there. The feeder system is in chaos and it will have to be completely overhauled and it will take a while to repair the damage at the high school. Winning is not something you can turn on and off like a light switch. There is plenty of tradition over there and I would love to see Pikeville return to glory but don't think it can be done in one or two years. No matter who you all hire please give them a chance to take a few years to get things straightened out and be willing to take some losses in the process because it will be a long road back to glory guys. Would Ben and Mcnamee work together, better yet could they work together. It would be interesting to see how that turns out since both of them are offensive minded, who would run the defense or will that be someone else? Just questions and comments you know everyone has an opinion and mine is that I'm glad Hillard is staying in Letcher County.
^With the right staff in place Pikeville will be back on top in no time!
Well I hate to see them go, but if they do I hope they dont leave LCC with no time to find themselves a good coach. These kids have worked hard for the last two years hate to see them get in the mix of a last minute coach change.

GO COUGARS
d10n Wrote:Well I hate to see them go, but if they do I hope they dont leave LCC with no time to find themselves a good coach. These kids have worked hard for the last two years hate to see them get in the mix of a last minute coach change.

GO COUGARS

There is no "they" its only one of them.
jetpilot Wrote:^With the right staff in place Pikeville will be back on top in no time!

With the upcoming schedule I hear they have, I'm not so sure..
What does the 2009 schedule look like?
To be honest with you, all I heard is that the non district schedule is stacked. I heard it had Boyle County and Sheldon Clark.
And also Prestonsburg I think...
Again I ask. Do you think becasue they play in such a weak district and it really does little to help them in the playoffs that they over load their nondistrict schedule and when all is said and done it does not really do much to help them overall.
I am not really that familiar with Pikeville Football. However, I think ther is two schools of thought here.
1. Play tough opponents early, hopefully stay healthy, and make a deep run in a weak single A district and region.
2. Play a few cupcakes and get your kids some confidence and make the run that way.

I see positives in both, However, I believe that kids need confidence to make deep runs. JMO
I understand playing up but playing up to high can only lead to getting beaten up and with a school so small school getting beaten up enough where you lose a starter it can kill your season. Also if you are not winning the play up gains your team will in time get use to loseing the big game and almost exspect the bad to happen. Just my thoughts on this.
If Pikeville has to play these teams, It may be a long season for whover the coach is. Do you think the last coach may have stacked the deck? Just wondering...
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next