•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2009
LCC has the opportunity to get better here. Running the football much more than the past will be key. Hillard Howard needs to go back to what he does best....POWER FOOTBALL.
That aspect may improve but what will the effect be on our passing game. I remember that Hillard did have some great QB's at pikeville who managed to rack up serious numbers. During these periods did they still run the Wishbone? The fact is we have Logan moving behind center and he is going to be an ace. Who will be the assistant coach now?
Talked to Hillard yesterday, he said he's going to call the offense and he's still going to run the spread just like this year. Of course Hillard will run the ball a little more than Ben did but trust me in the fact that he will still use Logan Johnson's ability to the max. Hillard is no dummy guys, he realizes that you have to be able to pass the ball to win these days and he has adjusted his mentality of run, run, run to run to set the pass up. Logan can and will run the ball just as well as Charlie did and Hillard will use his running backs better than Ben did. He ha some exceptional running backs that need to be utilized such as Collins, Brown, Bentley and this will make Logan's transition to starter go much smoother than if Ben was running the offense. Charlie was a great running back playing QB but Logan will be a great QB that happens to run the ball sometimes. Hillard is in control and not panicked at all, he knows how to throw the ball but he never had to with the running backs that he had at Pikeville. It also helped that every linemen that he had during those glory days could bench 350+ and were monsters, I don't see any of those monsters here but you can teach an average kid how to pass block and that's what Hillard is going to do. So for those of you that are afraid that we are going back to the bone don't worry, Hillard is keeping the offense the same but he will mix in a few more runs for the RB's.
I can't agree that you have to pass as much as LCC does to win these days. Have you been to the State Championships, off the top of my head I can't remember a team winning that passed as much as LCC. Passing that much is very overrated. I think that it even weakens your defense.
Guys, I think we ranked in the top five of 5A in rushing yards. We were definately a run first team last year. I am not sure where this pass happy approach that you guys are talking about came from. It wasn't the offense that I called or will ever call. Also, I do not see Hillard running the offense. I think you will see a fresh face come in that is familar with the spread or maybe one of the guys last year may even help call plays.
We threw the ball probably around 20% of the time. Some games more some less. Just because you line up in the gun doesn't mean you can't run the ball. I guess not many people remember the P-burg teams of Fannin and Slone. They primarily ran out of the gun. The key to is staying as balanced as you can while playing to your strengths. Snare have you ever watched the Cougars play?????
Just your JV and you threw it every down.
We had one RB suspended for that game, and another got hurt the fourth play of the game, Our JV Rb's qb's and receivers were all freshman. We didn't really have another RB to put in there or we would have. Hence the throwing. By the way Bell game us a good whuppin too!
HazzBeen Wrote:Guys, I think we ranked in the top five of 5A in rushing yards. We were definately a run first team last year. I am not sure where this pass happy approach that you guys are talking about came from. It wasn't the offense that I called or will ever call. Also, I do not see Hillard running the offense. I think you will see a fresh face come in that is familar with the spread or maybe one of the guys last year may even help call plays.

Would this guy be a former head coach at Fleming Neon?
cheeseforme Wrote:We had one RB suspended for that game, and another got hurt the fourth play of the game, Our JV Rb's qb's and receivers were all freshman. We didn't really have another RB to put in there or we would have. Hence the throwing. By the way Bell game us a good whuppin too!

I understand, I just saw some big, good looking kids on that team and said if they had run the same offense we did, they would be hard to handle. Good luck, hope things workout. I just enjoy watching teams that run well, and run defense wins championships.
cheeseforme Wrote:We threw the ball probably around 20% of the time. Some games more some less. Just because you line up in the gun doesn't mean you can't run the ball. I guess not many people remember the P-burg teams of Fannin and Slone. They primarily ran out of the gun. The key to is staying as balanced as you can while playing to your strengths. Snare have you ever watched the Cougars play?????

Highlands ran the gun 99.9% of the time and had a very balanced run/pass offense last year, yes you can run out of the gun. I do wish Highlands would have been under center more in the short yardage though. I do feel you have to be able to pass and run the ball if you are going to win state. You go up agianst different types of defense each week and need to be able to take what they are going to give you. Last year we would have a game of 80% passing and then the next week would have 80% running. Look at JC last year, the had zero passing game and it hurt them in the playoffs. LCC is doing the right thing in playing a balanced offense.
Hilbily Wrote:Its official now that Ben has vacated the campus! What coaching billets will likely change now at LCC? It seems there is some debate as to who had the reigns to the offense. If you played under both Hillard and Ben what is your take. How much do you feel it will affect the style of play? What impact will it have on the players mentally? Can somebody with better insight than me spell this out!!!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion but it's not a blind guess. I see Hillard calling the plays next season with two people helping him greatly. He has stated to me that he is keeping the spread as his base. We all know Hillard and he's going to run the ball a little bit more but he really has shall we say morphed into thinking it's a good idea to throw the ball. Now an old Hillard thought it should be illegal to throw but he's now a believer that you have to throw the ball. He will run more than Ben but he's going to air it out with Logan. The two in his ear are going to be Mark Johnson and McAuley. To answer your question, it was Ben's offense to sell to Hillard and Hillard bought into it over the past few years. I think the impact will end up being a positive one because the kids thought we should have been running the ball a little more with our running backs instead of our QB all the time. Hillard will involve the backs more and more and balance the attack out for Logan's adjustment of being the starter early on and then open the attack up for him as the season goes on.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Just my opinion but it's not a blind guess. I see Hillard calling the plays next season with two people helping him greatly. He has stated to me that he is keeping the spread as his base. We all know Hillard and he's going to run the ball a little bit more but he really has shall we say morphed into thinking it's a good idea to throw the ball. Now an old Hillard thought it should be illegal to throw but he's now a believer that you have to throw the ball. He will run more than Ben but he's going to air it out with Logan. The two in his ear are going to be Mark Johnson and McAuley. To answer your question, it was Ben's offense to sell to Hillard and Hillard bought into it over the past few years. I think the impact will end up being a positive one because the kids thought we should have been running the ball a little more with our running backs instead of our QB all the time. Hillard will involve the backs more and more and balance the attack out for Logan's adjustment of being the starter early on and then open the attack up for him as the season goes on.

Is Larry Maggard no longer at LCC? If he is, will he not have any input in the offense or possibly the OC? If he is no longer there, can you tell me where he is coaching at now?
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:Is Larry Maggard no longer at LCC? If he is, will he not have any input in the offense or possibly the OC? If he is no longer there, can you tell me where he is coaching at now?

Nope he's still there. I think that when Hillard retires that Larry DESERVES the title of Head Coach!
Yep, Larry is still there but he will have his hands full with the young offensive line and helping Delano with the defense. Larry is a huge part of the program and frankly the program would be in trouble without Larry. He is the glue that holds it all together in my opinion. Larry will have a huge part of working out the kinds of the offense during the spring and summer. I'm talking about during the game when I say people in Hillards' ear ftcoachnoitall. During the game Larry is busy taking care of his main responsibility and that's the big ol' linemen which he takes very serious. I do think that when Hillard hangs it up Larry will be the next head coach at LCC and he has worked hard for it. I was not forgetting about Larry by any means with my post, he may be the hardest working coach up there.
i think tey will do good
Well guys, I hate to tell you this but no coach from Letcher County will be hired as a head coach of the cougars when Coach Howard leaves. First of all, the parents from Whitesburg will get mad if a Neon coach is selected and vice versa. Second, as long as Mrs. Craft is there, she will go after the biggest name coach around. That is just the way she is. There is no fish too big in her eyes for what she can offer them, and she is right. Coach Maggard is a pretty good coach, but will never be the coach at LCC.
Did we get any jenkins transfers this year? I have heard rumors that we did.
Mountain Dew Wrote:Well guys, I hate to tell you this but no coach from Letcher County will be hired as a head coach of the cougars when Coach Howard leaves. First of all, the parents from Whitesburg will get mad if a Neon coach is selected and vice versa. Second, as long as Mrs. Craft is there, she will go after the biggest name coach around. That is just the way she is. There is no fish too big in her eyes for what she can offer them, and she is right. Coach Maggard is a pretty good coach, but will never be the coach at LCC.

Care to share why Coach Maggard will never be the coach? Is more about being an outsider?
Our coaches last year besides Hillard and ben were from Whitesburg, Neon, and Jenkins. They all got along great and I think the parents wouldn't have a problem with it. Most of these kids and parents all know all of the coaches becuase over their careers they have coached little league baseball, basketball, football all over the county and they have a reputation of putting the kids first! I am sure there would be one or two ignoramaces who would complain, but those people will complain about the second coming as well. I think Larry is well liked by most of parents, but now if Urban Meyer wants the job and Anna can hire him I think everyone would be all for that too!
Lmao
Any word on new changes to the staff? For the players what is the weight training producing early. How is it set-up? Is there like a 1000lb club or any other goal oriented program. What kind of line are we looking at to run behind?
All I know is I can't wait till basketball season is over with so I can go watch spring practice the following Monday.
Agreed!! So from watching practice last year what could you see from the sophomore class as far as a line goes. Do we got any size, or is it going to be about speed?
We have a 1000 , 1200, 1400, and 1600pd club now. We have more than one sophmore lineman that is in the 1200 and 1400 already. Only place in the county there were no coaches from was the Letcher area
58fan Wrote:We have a 1000 , 1200, 1400, and 1600pd club now. We have more than one sophmore lineman that is in the 1200 and 1400 already. Only place in the county there were no coaches from was the Letcher area

mmmmmm....tell you anything? When did we get these clubs and where are these Sophmores hiding? Cause it sure ain't at weightlifting. Takes more than bragging to make good coaches and good lineman.
Is Drew Bentley adding any size? Who else are we gonna have that can turn the corner. Does Bentley got good hands?
:Thumbs:
58fan Wrote:We have a 1000 , 1200, 1400, and 1600pd club now. We have more than one sophmore lineman that is in the 1200 and 1400 already. Only place in the county there were no coaches from was the Letcher area

:1:
cougar_chick Wrote:mmmmmm....tell you anything? When did we get these clubs and where are these Sophmores hiding? Cause it sure ain't at weightlifting. Takes more than bragging to make good coaches and good lineman.

chick do you know anything about the cougars? There are several up coming sophomores does Bentley, Stewart ,Blair Fields or Hall ring any bells they may not be sophomores yet but you are looking at the future of the cougars so wake up and smell the cougar-Rama baby. stop being so negative all the time.
cougarpride08 Wrote:All I know is I can't wait till basketball season is over with so I can go watch spring practice the following Monday.
Thanks for you basketball support!
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next